Shuttle SZ68R5 bad BIOS Flash?

Ferretti

n00b
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
1
Hi all,

I was having an intermittent problem with my Shuttle SZ68R5 rebooting randomly, with kernel-power errors in the windows event logger.

In order to attempt to fix this I updated the Bios to SZ68R000.203 (here), note it reportedly fixes a reboot issue.

However after running the updater when I attempt to boot I get the message CMOS Checksum error and with the machine totally locked up.

I have removed the CMOS battery for 30 mins which didn't help. I also pushed the CMOS reset button on the back panel (with the battery replaced), although it was difficult to tell whether I pushed the button properly.

So is this BIOS totally ruined?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Not looking good. Make sure you push the reset button, and try again.

It is looking like there was an error during the flash.
 
You can replace the bios chip. They discuss it some in this thread.

From that thread:
*snip...I think the lockups in bios and dos might be USB related, but await Shuttle's response.
Because i'm messing with the bioses all the time I have a spare chip so I can always recover although the 201 is the first file that sucessfully flashes to a spare chip, but at least i'm safe now. Worth getting one, mine was about £8 in the UK ...*snip
 
Yeah Shuttle will send a new bios chip if you contact them. Supposedly takes a while though.
 
Back
Top