Shuttle sn85g4 <unsureversion>

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by Bullitt, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

Heyas,

Our gaming group purchased a shuttle sn85g for our game server. At any rate, it sits in a remote location, I dont have physical access to it now (getting someone to check for specific version now). At any rate the fan appears to be going south. I want to get a replacement fan but the manual isnt helpful, shuttle site isnt helpful, I've searched the subforum for "sn85 fan" to see what others used.

My real question, anyone know offhand what the fan dimensions are? I want to get a high-quality replacement fan for this box and I seek reccomendations.

Noise isnt a big issue, its co-located in our data center, I just want something equal in performance and long lasting (this sucker has been operational 24/7 since last August).

I suppose, am I looking for 80mm or 92 mm? I can figure out a good brand if I knew the dimensions (unless some kind soul has a linky-link).

Thanks!

2. MD

MD [H]ardness Supreme

Well I suppose it's a SN85G4 wich makse it G4 chassis hence uses 92 mili fan. Normaly uses 25 mili thick fan.

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN85G4 V3.asp look under a Integrated Cooling Engine.

It's pretty strange that fan aint working. Maybe all You need to doo is set it up in BIOS on full blast. Otherwise it slows down and looks like it doesn't work.

If You are going to change it take 92x92x25 mili fan with 50+ CFM rating. Something with dual ball bearings.

Good fans are from Panaflo, Enermax, Delta, Y.S.Tech, Sunon (not all models) etc.

Normaly Shuttle uses nice fans. Though if SFF is stady overheating (fan on smart and inside temps 40+ C) fat used in bearings get hard and fans fail.

MD

3. vck6v3

vck6v3 [H]Lite

IIRC

Version 1 (what i have) - 80x80x25
    Version 2 - 80x80x15
    Version 3 - 92x92x25

If the version 2 is really 15mm thick then the only suitable replacement is the zalman OP-1 fan, otherwise finding a replacement is trivial.

I second the above and try to get dual ball bearing fans for longevity. I normally look through directron.com because they have a good variety.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

Its working, but the fan is starting to fail (grinding noises that come and go)

Thanks for the info, I'll await the word from someone taking a look at the box itself. I wanted to make sure we have a replacement part on-hand in the event that the fan goes south.

Thanks for the shuttle linkage MD, but it doenst give specific dimensions. I was thinking about a good panaflow or delta, I just was unsure on the dimensions I should look for. I had the thing for 2 days before I never saw it again ;)

5. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

snap... its version2, the fan is 15mm...

Suggestions? I need something at least as good as the OEM part (Everflow R128015SU ?? never heard of it, and google search yields nada)

I have Evercool @ 28.5 CFM to choose from, it seems... hrrmm.. this is not good. :D

I see some links to the zalman op-1 fan, but I am unable to find CFM ratings, even on the zalman website.

What does everyone think? Evercool or Zalman?

Damn these look pretty heavy duty... ascent fans

Hrm, looks like they claim to distribute Lan Li stuff in the states...

6. vck6v3

vck6v3 [H]Lite

Since selection is tough, I suggest mounting the new fan externally. This way any fan you choose will work. if external is cool, maybe you should go for vantec tornado?

If you need help mounting the fan externally I can show you some pictures of my setup so you can see. (I run 2 fans, a push and pull config)

If you had to replace the inside, I would probably go for the zalman. I run one of these bad boys at 5Volts all the time and I am having no problems at all. IIRC i think i've had this guy for 8 months now.

7. Mase

Mase 2[H]4U

I was thinking of getting this lil box, it runs a 92mm fan for real???
    I took for granted that all the ICE coolers and Shutlles used an 80mm...
    92 for real huh?

8. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

It varies. The version 1 used a sunon 80x80x25 mm fan (standard case fan)
    Version 2 (the one we bought) uses a 80x80x15mm fan ("thin" case fan)
    The current Version 3 uses a 92x92x25 fan (standard 92mm case fan)

If you buy one today, the model number should be sn85g4v3 (where v3 is version revision IIRC) and it will be a 92mm fan.

I loved our little server so much, I'm grabbing one while they have the rebate on it. My friend just placed his order a couple hours ago for the same thing.

I was hoping it was a 80x80x25 fan, that would have made my purchase easier, but nooooo, we had to get the v2 model :p

9. MD

MD [H]ardness Supreme

10. IronChefMorimoto

IronChefMorimoto Limp Gawd

The SK83G has a 15mm deep 80mm fan, most likely the same model as the V2 you're speaking about. My first fan failed, and I RMA'd it. It began to grind at startup and make the same noises you mentioned.

The 2nd fan has done better. In the interim, I tried the Zalman mentioned here. You'll be sorry. It doesn't move enough air (hence the "silent" part of it). When I installed it into the SK83G with NO OTHER HARDWARE CHANGES, the machine would lock up from overheating every time I gamed. Never happened with the factory fan.

You'd be better off RMA'ing the fan or looking on some threads on SFFTECH.com for discussions about replacement 15mm deep 80mm fans. Some folks have found the nicer versions of the fan. The one that Shuttle should've used to begin with.