• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shuttle SN25P or AOpen EZ482

Joined
Nov 5, 2003
Messages
3,081
Well I am upgrading from the rig in my sig to one of these two, a 7800gt, and a 250gb SATAII HDD around the holiday season, but I don't know which I want to pick for my build. I figured I would list the pros and cons as to what I have noticed from me reading up on them.



Pros of the Shuttle:
-better overall quality
-bigger PSU
-a chipset which I have more faith in
-lots of space for HDDs

Cons:
-$380=teh expensive :(

Pros for the AOpen:
CHEAPER! ($240 after rebate)
onboard video (just incase)

Cons-
Somewhat skimpy PSU (I don't know if it could handle a 7800gt and multiple HDDs)
I don't have as much as confidence in the overall SFF (Shuttle has established itself as one of the best in the SFF business, I don't know where AOpen stands)


Which would YOU pick and why?


EDIT: In Newegg's gallery for the sn25p, I didn't notice and SATA floppies to install the disks, do I even need to use a floppy to install drivers before the OS?
 
The nForce 4 Ultra in the SN25p is a better-performing chipset than the Xpress200 I believe that is in the Aopen.

I know that the Shuttle PSU will handle what you want to go into it, but I'm also uncertain of the Aopen's ability to (though I believe I've read where people have put a 7800GT into it, so you should be ok).

As for the SATA issue, I think it'll depend. I've noticed that Windows XP with SP2 seems to have some basic SATA drivers now present when installing, but I personally have had to use a floppy still for when I install my SATA drivers, and I believe my roommate (who has a SN25P) had to install drivers when he switched over to SATA drives also.
 
the largest thing to consider in this comparison is of course the chipsets

the ati southbridge sucks.
the nvidia chip is very good.

if u can afford it. the sn25p is without a doubt using a better, more stable, more reliable chipset
 
I'd probably get the AOpen, from my experiences the difference in performance between the nForce 4 chipset the SN25P uses and the RS482 isnt that big, theres a difference, but its not a $150 difference imo. Although, I'd be skeptical of the psu in the AOpen as well.. /shrug, see what the warrenty is like and then go from there.
 
Aopen makes SFFs? :p

I would give the AOpen a shot. At stock the Radeon Xpress offers better features than the nForce 4 (as long as you don't plan on using an Audigy2...) The PSU is the only gamble.

The Shuttle is a ripoff and I would go mATX before that. Actually, I would go mATX instead of that, but you already know that. :)
 
Well, I just built my girlfriend one from the aopen sff, and compared to my own personal sn25p, i must go with the shuttle hands down. The aopen was a pita trying manuever wires around. It look slicker becuase of the shiny case, and it runs a lot hotter than the shuttle. its not a *bad* one by any leap or bound, but after building useing both, the hsuttle has my vote. I just wish my shuttle had a pci slot so i could use my tv tuner......but I will wait patiently for the pcix one.


i say the shuttle, performs very good, ingenious cooling (my 3700 runs in the mid 20s low thirties when gaming, the 3000 in the aopen runs around 40-mid 50's)

So....up to you, they are both good in their own ways....
 
asianx13oy said:
good choice for the sn25p. shuttle is known for quality. the aopen doesn't include nearly as many overclocking settings in the bios either. you might be saving some dough on the purchase but u'll be saving urself a lot of frustration by getting the sn25p.


dukie: have u seen this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815117802
*Squeals like a pig* No siree bobby joe!

Thanks for the tip!! I am now wanting to father your children if you are a female!!!! If not well....*huggles!!*
 
hahha the theater 550 pro chipset is supposed to be pretty good too...

thanks for the offer, but sorry im a dude :p but i'll gladly take ur firstborn as a token of graditude :D
 
retardedchicken said:
Well I am upgrading from the rig in my sig to one of these two, a 7800gt, and a 250gb SATAII HDD around the holiday season, but I don't know which I want to pick for my build. I figured I would list the pros and cons as to what I have noticed from me reading up on them.



Pros of the Shuttle:
-better overall quality
-bigger PSU
-a chipset which I have more faith in
-lots of space for HDDs

Cons:
-$380=teh expensive :(

Pros for the AOpen:
CHEAPER! ($240 after rebate)
onboard video (just incase)

Cons-
Somewhat skimpy PSU (I don't know if it could handle a 7800gt and multiple HDDs)
I don't have as much as confidence in the overall SFF (Shuttle has established itself as one of the best in the SFF business, I don't know where AOpen stands)


Which would YOU pick and why?


EDIT: In Newegg's gallery for the sn25p, I didn't notice and SATA floppies to install the disks, do I even need to use a floppy to install drivers before the OS?

To sum things up...you get what you pay for in this case get the Shuttle. Echoing what others have said, it's superior chipset.
 
SATA drivers are built in. you dont need a floppy to install windows on your sata drive. it is strange. but its cool :3
 
you forgot to mention!

SN25 CON:
no pci slot = onboard sound. (and psssssst it sucks!)
 
G'ßöö said:
you forgot to mention!

SN25 CON:
no pci slot = onboard sound. (and psssssst it sucks!)

thats why my sig says "audigy 2 zs video", thx certified external sound card, but your right, i would have prefered an xfi, but no doubt there will be an external solution in the future.
 
Yeah aside from the PCI issue so there is no PCI slot for onboard sound, it is a solid box.

Remember most of the folks that go with a TV Tuner have to use onboard sounod anyway with a SFF.

Overall I have liked the shuttle. No you do not need a floppy to install windows as the SATA has a virtual driver that windows uses initially to get you nice and installed on SATA.
 
Treyshadow said:
Yeah aside from the PCI issue so there is no PCI slot for onboard sound, it is a solid box.

Remember most of the folks that go with a TV Tuner have to use onboard sounod anyway with a SFF.

Overall I have liked the shuttle. No you do not need a floppy to install windows as the SATA has a virtual driver that windows uses initially to get you nice and installed on SATA.

yer i had to get an external tv tuner, the pciex1 slot has a lot of potential though, its powering my low profile matrox graphics card with dual dvi at the moment!
 
Rash said:
yer i had to get an external tv tuner, the pciex1 slot has a lot of potential though, its powering my low profile matrox graphics card with dual dvi at the moment!
Talk about an ingenius way to get rid of the chips they created in 2001 and charge more for it! G550 came out on AGP in 2001.

Same RAMDAC, dual-headed support - everything! They just slapped it on a new PCB with a PCI-E x1 interface.

Old: http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000188
New: http://www.matrox.com/mga/corp/enterprise/products/gseries.cfm

They did have the best 2D cards available and 2D essentially maxed out back in '97, so it makes sense. Very slick!

If they are the only ones making PCI-E x1 cards and if they keep marketing to the lucrative OEM market and maintain the renewed focus, maybe they will make enough revenue to jump back in the 3D game! Who knows...
 
sleepeeg3 said:
Talk about an ingenius way to get rid of the chips they created in 2001 and charge more for it! G550 came out on AGP in 2001.

Same RAMDAC, dual-headed support - everything! They just slapped it on a new PCB with a PCI-E x1 interface.

Old: http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000188
New: http://www.matrox.com/mga/corp/enterprise/products/gseries.cfm

They did have the best 2D cards available and 2D essentially maxed out back in '97, so it makes sense. Very slick!

If they are the only ones making PCI-E x1 cards and if they keep marketing to the lucrative OEM market and maintain the renewed focus, maybe they will make enough revenue to jump back in the 3D game! Who knows...

It is a new design though as it is low profile and about the size of a k750 mobile phone which means my gtx can breath!!

Yer i do hope they get back into the 3d market, i started another thread about tri screen gaming and how matrox did it years ago and no one else has.
 
Back
Top