Shuttle SD37P2 SFF XPC

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Shuttle SD37P2 SFF XPC - The Shuttle SD37P2 system is among Shuttle’s lineup targeted at the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. With full support for ATI CrossFire through the Intel 975X chipset in a small form factor design, this system could be the one to beat for ATI fans.

Shuttle makes some great systems and outside of overclocking, our Shuttle SD37P2 SFF XPC shined. This is not a hardcore enthusiast overclocking system, but it was never meant to be. The SD37P2 is a very solid system if used smartly. As for CrossFire support, I would still be hesitant of wedging two ATI CrossFire cards into a unit with even a 400 watt power supply. CrossFire is a power consuming and heat producing beast that is probably best left out of the SD37P2. Thumbs up on the SD37P2; thumbs down on CrossFire inside of her.

I wonder if they will ever get a kickbutt SLI / CROSSFIRE into a SFF system. It sure would be neat-o

Whats up with that 667MHz limit? As much as I like this box, I'm inclined to leave it alone because of that alone.

Come on Shuttle...

I keep seeing all over the review that Crossfire is supposedly supported...so how come it wasn't tested ? Its one of the main draws of the system for a lot of potential buyers out there (including me), I'm disappointed to see that it wasn't tested

wangoflove said:
I keep seeing all over the review that Crossfire is supposedly supported...so how come it wasn't tested ? Its one of the main draws of the system for a lot of potential buyers out there (including me), I'm disappointed to see that it wasn't tested
Did you miss it?
As for CrossFire support, I would still be hesitant of wedging two ATI CrossFire cards into a unit with even a 400 watt power supply. CrossFire is a power consuming and heat producing beast that is probably best left out of the SD37P2. Thumbs up on the SD37P2; thumbs down on CrossFire inside of her.

CrimandEvil said:
Did you miss it?

No I didn't miss that. Shuttle is advertising Crossfire as a feature and all long-time shuttle users know that their power supplies are high quality parts that deliver on their wattage ratings (as opposed to conventional psu manufacturers). I'm running two hard drives, a 6800GT, an Audigy2 sound card, a DVD burner and and overclocked (overvolted) dual-core Opteron on a 300W Shuttle psu just fine. If I were the reviewer I would at least give it a shot. Explaining it away by saying it would be too hot is kinda lame considering this is an "enthusiast" site

If you head over to the sudhian forums you've got folks running 7950 GX2's just fine and nvidia recommends a 450-500 watt psu for those cards

Yeah, they should have tested crossfire support, plenty of people have run SLI in the SN26P, no reason why you couldn't use crossfire in this one.

As for CrossFire support, I would still be hesitant of wedging two ATI CrossFire cards into a unit with even a 400 watt power supply. CrossFire is a power consuming and heat producing beast that is probably best left out of the SD37P2. Thumbs up on the SD37P2; thumbs down on CrossFire inside of her.

I know [H] doesnt do as many shuttle reviews as they should, or as placs like SFFtech do, but that line is pure baloney. You can run crossfire on a 350w shuttle PSU.....the PSU's inside those shuttle boxes are the strongest in the industry and can handle anything you throw at them. If shuttle puts a 400w in there and says it can run crossfire, it sure as hell will with no questions asked.

Thats 400w shuttle PSU is the equivalent or an OCZ 700w or PCP&C 610w, or anything like those.

Dillusion said:
I know [H] doesnt do as many shuttle reviews as they should, or as placs like SFFtech do, but that line is pure baloney. You can run crossfire on a 350w shuttle PSU.....the PSU's inside those shuttle boxes are the strongest in the industry and can handle anything you throw at them. If shuttle puts a 400w in there and says it can run crossfire, it sure as hell will with no questions asked.

Thats 400w shuttle PSU is the equivalent or an OCZ 700w or PCP&C 610w, or anything like those.
As soon as Fry's gets the SD37P2 in locally - I'll pick one up and test it out thoroughly with SLI ;) (I have the 85.96 SLI modded drivers for Intel)

What about noise? I'm interested in this Shuttle, but I wish they made one designed to be almost silent like the SD11G5 but supporting core 2 duo or merom.

I'm glad there's finally a review up somewhere...this Shuttle looks really enticing.

I'm actually more interested in the effects of running a dual-slot video card (say, a 7900GTX or X1900XT) in that tiny box. Would it be able to deal with the additional heat?

Good review, one i was waiting for.

I was considering this as a replacement for my "old" ASUS, but after reading the review I've changed my mind.

It just did not sound as appealing as my old SN25P was when I first built it.

I may now go with a full size system instead.

why they put the pci-e slots so close together? you can't even use 2 slot cooler cards which seems to be the norm for the higher end ATI cards.

Got an old xpc getting long in the tooth, see sig system 2, that needs a replacement soon. I might look into one of these when prices drop to run Linux box on. ;) Just want rock soild system like my old Shuttle SB61G2R RefleXion XPC 20th Anniversary Special Edition.

I've had my shuttle SD37P2 for a little over a month now. Haven't really had any hiccups... Mine is oc'd to specs in sig. But for whatever reason I have to press the reset button after powering it on to get it to boot. This only happened after the overclock in the sig. Really weird, definately an issue with something not getting power when first booting. Stable as a rock after that though :D

And as you can see in the sig i'm running a oc'd 7950GX2 as well, it idles around 69*c

Finally glad to see a review on HardOCP though :)

Omaharacer, how did you get the CPU speed above the max 2.55GHz the review mentions? I am interested in buying the SD37P2 but require two things, I want to max out the potential speed of the core 2 chip, and hopefully the motherboard chipset supports OS X! (www.osx86project.org/)

Thanks

TofuTodd said:
Omaharacer, how did you get the CPU speed above the max 2.55GHz the review mentions? I am interested in buying the SD37P2 but require two things, I want to max out the potential speed of the core 2 chip, and hopefully the motherboard chipset supports OS X! (www.osx86project.org/)

Thanks

They were using a Core 2 Duo E6300. I'm using a 6600. The SD37P2 will take any Conroe/Kentsfield right now... as long as you got the power to back them up. I've pushed mine up to about 3,300mhz before it crashed. And for whatever reason now. I reset my bios pushing the reset button on the back, and now I don't need to hit the front reset button whenever I boot-up the computer. Same exact specs in bios... weird.

Back