Shuttle pilots.... fan / case mod anyone done this?

GSRwBOOST

Limp Gawd
We have the 80mm going out the back, modded to a 120mm mounted externally..

BUT

has anyone put a 40mm (probably the biggest that would fit) on either side of the case just behind the faceplate tward thebottom of the cover..

lemme try to describe...

one fan+grill on the left side of the case (faceing it), tward the front probably even with the memory slot, as intake... and one on the same spot on the other side of the case, also as intake?

they dont have to be huge, due to space or lack thereof..

wondering if this is possible and if it would look ok..

would improve airflow some? or would it just plain look ugly..

I was kinda thinking of just wedging a 50mm fan in-between the wires coming out of the PSU, and not bothering with physically modifying the case. Not sure how much of a difference that would make; just something I thought might help a little. Dunno if I could do that on the other side, cuz my GF4 4400 fills up most of that side of the case.

gamz247 said:
I was kinda thinking of just wedging a 50mm fan in-between the wires coming out of the PSU, and not bothering with physically modifying the case. Not sure how much of a difference that would make; just something I thought might help a little. Dunno if I could do that on the other side, cuz my GF4 4400 fills up most of that side of the case.

That's exactlly what I did in my sb75s, I'm gonna grab a couple 40X10 's to squeeze under the PSU to cool the PWM heatsinks.

Although I did notice that there is a big heat buildup on the left side at the end of the videocard and near the HDD cage...gonna have to think up something for that.

I also mounted another 50mm in front of the HDD cage (there was a 15mm gap, so it fit pertectly) to cool my raptor array.

I've done the 60MM fan on the right side, between the PSU and the 12V connecter on the board. That worked out pretty well.

going to be a bit tight, wouldn't work for me as 9800Pro would be in way... Shuttle have just released a modded lid PF16 thats got mesh both sides that would help with cooling

I'm going to get the new hood for it... i can't justify cutting into anything but the grill in the back of the shuttle. I figured it would be something worth looking into, but seeing that tehre is a grate on the cover, i dont think it would look good with a hole over some of the holes...

Run your computer with the case cover off for a few days. that should give you an idea of whether or not you need more airflow. I did that for a few days and had no improvement in temps, so i'm not so sure anything else is necessary. I was thinking of putting two 5v'd 80mm's, one on each side, to blow air into the case, but i'm not so sure it would help temps.

oh i also helped drop temps with the case on this weekend..

aparently I didnt turn the adjustable 120mm fan up all the way. Now it is.. and it's still quiet but is pulling a lot more air.

Back