Shuttle onboard sound issue

Alex41290

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I recently decided to take my old Shuttle PC, currently gutted, and set it up as a "home-theater" PC. Everything else is working fine, but for the longest time I couldn't get the onboard sound to work. Previously, I hadn't been able to find the drivers for the mainboard audio, but today I actually found them and got them installed. Now, I was hoping this would fix the problem, but it only partially has.

I get sound, but it's extremely quiet. When I say quiet, I mean that my speakers are at full volume and the computer volumes are all (I think) cranked up, and it sounds as if I'm holding a pair of headphones about 6-12" away from my head. Now, I know the speakers are not the culprit, as they work perfectly well with my iPod.

If anyone has any insight as far as how to fix the problem, I would be very grateful. The PC isn't really a Shuttle anymore, so the only really information necessary would be, I'm guessing, the motherboard. The model number is FS56 made by Shuttle. I got the audio drivers supposedly for this motherboard here, but the BIOS they have there didn't work in WinFlash. It said "Please supply correct BIOS" or something similar. I installed both of the audio drivers on that page as well.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Edit: Just to add, the sound works perfectly fine with a sound card, but I'm using the one from my main PC which I can't really remove full-time. So I think it can definitely be isolated as the onboard.

You sure you are plugging it into the right port? Or that the port detection has it configured properly?

That sounds like what would happen if you had connected it to a "line out" port rather than a speaker port. One has no amplification at all, the other does.

I'd feel really dumb if that was the case, but I've tried the plug in each port (other than the line-in ones) and still have the same results. Maybe it's just treating them all as line out?

Back