Shutdown with power button when using remote desktop

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Server running a software RAID 5 array on Windows 2003 Server, no video card, just a NIC and 2 IDE cards.

The server has a crappy UPS with no serial or USB, and I want to be able to hit the power button when there is a power cut which will shut the machine down gracefully (as apposed to holding the power button for 5 seconds and forcing it to switch off).

It works fine on windows XP however, since I don't have anyone logged on "locally" the machine ignores the power button even when I tell it not to (in the power options), is there a setting some place else that will override it?

I shut down my headless boxes via RDP using a shotcut on the desktop.

shutdown.exe -s -t 0
(Shutdown the computer right now)

Seeing how you prob won't have network access if there's a power out, I'm not sure what to do about that.

The difference between XP and 2003 is who is allowed to shutdown the machine and weather or not that option exists on the log on menu. You need to grant a larger set of people the right to shutdown and you need to enable shutting down from the log on menu.

I'm actually looking for this too. I'll often forget to shut down the server, then i'll have to either force the shutdown the old fashined way or boot up my computer. Right now I keep a mouse plugged in, along with my monitor (it has dual inputs, one DVI one analog) and I switch and power down if needed.

I would think you have 2 things you'd have to look into. First, make sure that you can shut down with the power button. That should be under power options. Then make sure that it has no problem shutting down while users are connected. Whenever I push the power button (and I've left an RDP connection open) it'll say 'There are users connected....'.

I would've done it already but haven't had the time/energy to do it.

Back