Shutdown takes nearly 5 mins+

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
When shutting down my rig, Win 10 turns off completely yet the power is on for a full 5 mins before it decides to shut down. Restarts take just as long...sometimes - booting is fine. However, once in windows, everything is fine. Extended gaming, stress testing all pass with flying colors....even at stock clocks. I only noticed this behavior when I decided to give the thing a good dusting/clean.

Needless to say, its become very irritating & has gotten the better of my ocd for this type of thing.

I think it may be a PSU issue, but to be honestly not sure. I say that because the PSU "clicks" once when turning on - but I think it always did it. Any thought are appreciated.

EDIT: Seems to be very hinky whenever I connect a USB stick on the front panel....driver issue instead?

Last edited:
So it was doing shutdowns normally before the cleaning?
How long ago did this happen?

You might try a restore point if this just happened recently.

Try disconnecting all USB devices except mouse/keyboard.

I didn't do any cleaning in the end as I was trying to troubleshoot the problem. I hadn't shut the computer down in over a month. As far as I can remember, it was always able to shut down normally - nothing has changed.

I did try a restore point and disconnecting all USB devices with no effect. Sometimes it shuts down, and sometimes a shutdown will result in a reboot! Very very odd =/ I may nuke and do a fresh install and see if it has an effect.

I'm going to kick this to General for you. Best of luck.

It's not doing auto updates or something silly is it?

Win10 just seems to have all sorts of hidden little quirky problems.

Not sure If it was luck, but once I did a "sfc /scannow" and it got rid of a similar situation.

The other thing you could try, is unplug all but boot drives (SATA, USB, etc..), then unplug network, then add them one at a time.

I agree as I troubleshoot further. PSU seems to ok.

I can't be sure if my case is identical to your problem, but seems like a similar one:
My brother's pc was taking long time to boot-up, near 4 minutes for a full boot. (*by full boot i mean to enter windows and load all the programms, anti-virus etc ).
Since i noticed this issue, i have changed 4 PSUs at my brother's pc , and with the first 3, ( EVGA G2 750 / G2 850 / Tt GRAND Platinum 850) the loading time remained the same.
With the 4th PSU though, the Seasonic SnowSilent750, the loading time was reduced by an entire minute !! ( I totally love this unit since i noticed that!!! :)).

P.S. Just like the OP said, i also suspect the usb devices as the cause for taking this long to boot-up, since i have plenty of them (*my brother even has a monstrous Ferrari F1 Integral T500 Racing Wheel always connected on pc via usb http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Integ...3913032&sr=8-23&keywords=ferrari+racing+wheel )
But the fact is , that although the number of the plenty usb devices seems to cause this issue, the time was reduced by using a specific PSU, the SS SnowSilent750.!!:)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not doing auto updates or something silly is it?

Win10 just seems to have all sorts of hidden little quirky problems.

Nope. Made sure everything was up-to-date. I even disabled and uninstalled any network related hardware and software =/

Not sure If it was luck, but once I did a "sfc /scannow" and it got rid of a similar situation.

The other thing you could try, is unplug all but boot drives (SATA, USB, etc..), then unplug network, then add them one at a time.

I tried sfc/ scannow and all the DISM commands too. Unplugging all the USB devices didnt help either. Going to try a fresh install to see if it makes a diff.

One other thing I've just noticed. Whenever it gets stuck at a blanks screen during a restart, pressing the restart button the case makes the fans speed up slightly for a brief second, like revving them. I don't know what the hell is going on.

>>you think it may be a temp file issue?

It was a huge improvement in shutdown time (in the Win-XP days) to get rid of temp files.
It still helps a bit on newer OSes to clean up the junk.

Try a defrag too.

Do you get any of those "Waiting for program to close" messages?

>>you think it may be a temp file issue?

It was a huge improvement in shutdown time (in the Win-XP days) to get rid of temp files.
It still helps a bit on newer OSes to clean up the junk.

Try a defrag too.

Do you get any of those "Waiting for program to close" messages?

I clean out the temp files quite regularly. I use a SSD so defragging it wont make a difference. I'm going to try and do a reboot from safe-mode so I can identify whether its the hardware or driver issue.

Well, a fresh install seems to have fixed things. It looks like I'll never know what the problem really was.....an unsolved mystery if you will

Back