• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shure e2c/e3c/other?

Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,492
I'm looking for some good in-ear headphones and have been doing a bit of searching. A lot of people are recommending basically shure's entire range but I was wondering if there is a significant difference between the e2c and the e3c. The e2's are about £50 and the e3's are about £100 (I don't wish to spend more than this and lower would be preferable), also is there any other good headphones within my kind of budget? It's really just for listening with my ipod (usually travelling).

TIA
 
I didn't find the stock Shure E2c's to be all that great. It improves a little if you mod the plastic shaft (dremel it off), but I still found the sound to be unsatisfactory for the price you pay for them. I have not heard the higher end Shures, so I won't comment on them.
 
strid3r said:
I didn't find the stock Shure E2c's to be all that great. It improves a little if you mod the plastic shaft (dremel it off), but I still found the sound to be unsatisfactory for the price you pay for them. I have not heard the higher end Shures, so I won't comment on them.

I think that really depends on where you're coming from in the audio world. My E2c's were the first good headphone I'd ever heard so it was a big improvement for me. Now that I have moved to nice-ish hardware (cd player, interconnects, amp) and moved up in the Grado line of headphones I find my E2c's boring and lacking on sound all over the spectrum. With my iPod, they are still alright, but they're not the incredible earphones I heard 3 1/2 years ago when I first bought them.

I have heard the E3 and E4 a couple of times and I do think they are better than the E2 and it is probably worth the investment to move up to the E3 from the E2. If you have not heard the Etymotic Labs E6 or E4 those are also great portable earphones. I would see if there is a store around you that would let you audition these headphones but otherwise recommend the E3's if you can spend the extra $$$
 
I'm just wondering whether the music I will be listening to will be significantly enhanced by the E3's rather than E2's. Either headphones will probably last me a good couple of years though right?
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
I'm just wondering whether the music I will be listening to will be significantly enhanced by the E3's rather than E2's. Either headphones will probably last me a good couple of years though right?

They should. Just take care of them. You do not have to go to extreme lengths, but just be careful where you lay them and make sure they dont take tons of bumps are get sat on etc.
 
I had a set of e3c's and returned them. However, I was not able to get a good fit so, you might want to try them. You can always return them (if you order them from Shure).
 
Back
Top