Shure E2c any good?

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I'm looking for a new pair of canal phones, and I like the Shure E2cs, but I wanted to see if anyone has used them and what they think. It will be used mostly with MP3 player (iriver h120) my notebook.

Currently I'm using a pair of Panasonic canal phones (RJP something, I forget the model number - it's not available in the states) but I want something even more isolating. Like, someone is banging your door down and you can't hear it.

As for music, I usually listen to a lot of alternative (Weezer, Interpol, Ozma, the like) and bits and pieces of other genres. Some of what I listen to is very bassy.

I'm not a big audiophile, but I do like some good sound (though all I have are lowly Grado SR-60s ;) ).

So tell me what you think of the E2Cs. The audio store I go to might not have it for demoing unlike with fullsized cans, so I wanted some opinions.

Thanks.

i own these and i have a very love-hate relationship with them.

theyre incredible for highs, decent for mids and absolutely horrible for lows. i hear things in them i hear in no other of my headphones/speakers (sr-60, klipsch 5.1 ultras and several stereo sets) but also, i hear NOTHING when it comes to low ends.

if you care about bass significantly, definitely stay away from these. if you want to have a very crisp listening experience otherwise that will make you say "i really didnt know that was in that song" then i say go for it.

its an above average buy thats for sure, but i definitely wouldnt note it as excepptional. its pretty good for its price. if i had the chance to buy them again, however, i would skip and go straight for ultimate ears. to me, they leave a lot to be desired and this is why im in the market for new headphones (AGAIN :)).

good luck.

jfish said:
theyre incredible for highs, decent for mids and absolutely horrible for lows. i hear things in them i hear in no other of my headphones/speakers (sr-60, klipsch 5.1 ultras and several stereo sets) but also, i hear NOTHING when it comes to low ends.

Are you getting a good seal in your ear with the E2c's? The seal is key when it comes to bass with canal phones. I have tried a pair of them before and while I didn't think they had great bass, I didn't think it was that bad either.

If you want some inexpensive canal phones with bass, try the Sony mdr-ex71's. Sony's tend to overemphasize the bass because most (or many at least) people like it that way. The Shure's are geared a little more toward accuracy. I have used the Sony's and they were a little too bassy for me.

I have had a pair of EX71s, they were my first pair of canal phones, and they died within 2 weeks of use. They sounded good, but were actually a little muddy to me, almost like they were underpowered. My current pair, the Panasonics, are basically the same model, but I think they sound better than the EX71s.

As for the Shures, I can trade away bass, a crisp listening experience is fine enough, most of my music these days don't have an emphasis on bass, and I really just want something that can really block outside noise.

i had these ear peices and i sold them within 2 weeks.

1.) although they block out noise, they do so by inserting something deep into the canal. The feeling is like when you have water inside your ears.. It didn't bother me too much but it takes a while to get them in and out (with practice it was fairly easy). This may be an issue for some..

2.) the bass and mids on this thing was ABSOLUTELY horrible to me. Voices sound crips, highs sounded awesome, but I seriously had problems hearing any decent bass or mids out of this thing. Pop, hiphop, rock/metal sounded horrible, while classical and jazz was alright.

chew63 said:
Are you getting a good seal in your ear with the E2c's? The seal is key when it comes to bass with canal phones. I have tried a pair of them before and while I didn't think they had great bass, I didn't think it was that bad either.

If you want some inexpensive canal phones with bass, try the Sony mdr-ex71's. Sony's tend to overemphasize the bass because most (or many at least) people like it that way. The Shure's are geared a little more toward accuracy. I have used the Sony's and they were a little too bassy for me.

yeah my seal is almost perfect. thats the one good thing about the shure's, they come with so many different earpeices to choose from that youre bound to get one that fits your ear perfectly. ambient noise is nonexistent, but on the negative side, you cant listen to music while walking with friends because you cant here a single word theyre saying!

it really comes down to what you want to place the emphasis on your music on. i personally dont like making compromises and so im looking for a different pair, if you dont mind, then go ahead, these are decent hps.

er6-i might be a better choice if isolation is the major factor in the purchase. Etys generally isolate more than Shures.

Back