Shunt mod my 1080 Ti?

Is it worth it to shunt mod my 1080 Ti?

• Total voters

JosiahBradley

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just recently got a PNY XLR8 1080 Ti and the thing is amazing. Gaming at FPS I've never seen before. However there is always that voice in the back of my head to push it further. I started to overclock the card and immediately hit a power wall. The card runs comfortable at 70C at 2Ghz with no voltage modification and at 2.1Ghz with +100mV(? Afterburner labels it as % but I'm used to it being mV in AMD land)

The problem is that while monitoring performance GPU-Z continuously says Pwr throttling as the card sits around 120%. So the question is should I unlock the beast as I feel like I have a good sample or am I already hitting clocks high enough that I won't gain anything modifying the card? Also is it dangerous to feed the card more power as long as cooling is adequete and voltages stay sane? And can I undo the mod if needed? I've seen videos on how to do it and what it does but not many claim it is dangerous. But was hoping some of you guys and gals had experience doing it already.

So I just recently got a PNY XLR8 1080 Ti and the thing is amazing. Gaming at FPS I've never seen before. However there is always that voice in the back of my head to push it further. I started to overclock the card and immediately hit a power wall. The card runs comfortable at 70C at 2Ghz with no voltage modification and at 2.1Ghz with +100mV(? Afterburner labels it as % but I'm used to it being mV in AMD land)

The problem is that while monitoring performance GPU-Z continuously says Pwr throttling as the card sits around 120%. So the question is should I unlock the beast as I feel like I have a good sample or am I already hitting clocks high enough that I won't gain anything modifying the card? Also is it dangerous to feed the card more power as long as cooling is adequete and voltages stay sane? And can I undo the mod if needed? I've seen videos on how to do it and what it does but not many claim it is dangerous. But was hoping some of you guys and gals had experience doing it already.
I would not do the shunt mod unless you're water cooling. The temperature will shoot up extremely fast.

With Boost 3.0 the voltage control is a percentage. It basically tells the BIOS to use more voltage for a given clock bin along the voltage curve. You can directly control the voltage curve if you press the little graph button to the left of the clock speed adjustment slider using the default skin.
upload_2017-6-14_16-5-57.png

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with the voltage or the shunt mod. If you're holding 2.1 GHz during a gaming session at no higher than 70C on air, consider yourself extremely lucky. You'll only be able to get another 100 MHz or so with the shunt mod and water cooling. Any higher than that and you'll need a form of exotic cooling.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty impressed with the out of box performance with this thing. I'll settle on being happy with it like it is then.

Armenius is correct. My card runs 2100/4500 with 60c gaming temps. I was thinking of a shunt mod, but figured I'm only going to get maybe another 150Mhz more if that. Don't waste your time with the shunt. Enjoy your card. Maybe might want to swap out TIMs if you want tho.

Wouldn't a modded BIOS accomplish the same thing? No need for hardware mods...

Seems like much fuss over a couple of fps.

Leave well enough alone and enjoy it!

Back