• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Shrinking heat-shrink....

I'm guessing he just likes the added peace of mind of an adhesive in addition to the heatshrink's grip.
 
Or is the epoxy stuff for waterproofing or corrosion protection, perhaps? Either way I've never had heat shrink slide off, but I use the good stuff at the ideal sizes. If you are worried about it, just put an extra tiny glob of solder in the middle of the splice, and the heat shrink should not be able to shift.
 
mich43L said:
That's Polypropylene, the shiny kind. It is inferior compared to Polyolefin heat shrink tubing. In addidion to be things you mentionedm, it is also less flexible. But I still use the stuff in part because I can't find the Polyolefin heat shrink in a smaller diameter (Lowes Home depot have only large diamaters) and I feel kind of stupid buying the stuff online :D

don't feel stupid, if you buy about $30 worth in various sizes, you'll have enough shrink to last you for months. I spend about $50 and get enough to last me a year at a time.

http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix/Heatshrinkable_Tubing.html
 
phasmatis_nox said:
I use the barrel of my soldering iron most of the time. You can actually have the haetshrink touching the barrel without a problem, just make sure you keep it moving, as soon as it shrinks down, move to another area. It takes less than 5 seconds. A candle/lighter works in a pinch. but the ideal way to do it is using a heat gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35776

I picked that up at my local harbor freight this weekend for the same price. Their was an entire shelf of them. I haven't tried it yet though.
 
Back
Top