Shouting At Your Hard Drive Is Bad

i cant believe this hasn't been said yet, but doesn't anyone remember Hard drive Acoustic control?

it has been a standard on a lot of hard drives for years now, And it will "slow down" the hard drive when its making to much noise ( or if someone is yelling at it, apparently. )

I used to turn this off on my old Maxtor and WD HDD's to get just that much more I/O though them.

platter viberating.
Head movement up and down in rythm with with platter viberation, and also for the disk read movement.

wouldnt that be whats happening.

Why you dont notice it in youre normal computer, it doesnt load much and isnt so sensetive to theese stuff.

I belive they are running 15k rpm drives perhaps, i'd love to get an new SAS controller for my server when i saw this vid =)

Interesting!

How about a real world test, like playing a fps with external speakers and a sub?

Any takers?

What software are they using, and do we have a way to look at that with freeware?

Wouldn't this mean that playing games kills your hdd?

Wouldn't also the fans, if their loud enough, prematurely kill your hdd?

Wouldn't this mean that playing games kills your hdd?

Wouldn't also the fans, if their loud enough, prematurely kill your hdd?

I would certainly hope that someone screaming at the top of their lungs is louder than your fans :eek:

I would certainly hope that someone screaming at the top of their lungs is louder than your fans :eek:

Fans are right in your case. Unless your case lets in all kinds of noise, your hard drives sensitive, virgin ears will hardly hear you while the fans are going.

Fans are right in your case. Unless your case lets in all kinds of noise, your hard drives sensitive, virgin ears will hardly hear you while the fans are going.

In case you didn't notice, the guy put his mouth right up against the hard drive enclosure. My fans right next to my ear are a hell of a lot quieter than someone screaming right in my ear.

That said I'm guessing the frequency of the sound plays a large role. Perhaps his scream was close to the resonance frequency for something in the drive.

Perhaps his scream was close to the resonance frequency for something in the drive.
I'd bet money on that theory. I'd guess the heads since they fly pretty freaking low to the platters and they use coils for the actuators. Vibration in coil possibly? The wire is thin enough. Or possibly the tip of the head which is also quite thin (IIRC)?

In in any case, that video was pretty cool.

I'm better they were running their analytics and dropped a screw/clip for the nth time down in that rack and reacted like many of us would *YAAAAGGHH #%@&^&%@#* and then wondered why their latency spiked all of a sudden.

I'm better they were running their analytics and dropped a screw/clip for the nth time down in that rack and reacted like many of us would *YAAAAGGHH #%@&^&%@#* and then wondered why their latency spiked all of a sudden.

CORRECTED... wasn't able to edit

I'm betting they were running their analytics and dropped a screw/clip for the nth time down in that rack and reacted like many of us would *YAAAAGGHH #%@&^&%@#* and then wondered why their latency spiked all of a sudden.

There is also a Level 400 Physics type answer to this, it involves multiple gyroscopes, and why they tend to run in synch when in parallel.

A single sympathetic vibration can cascade through the gryoscopes, causing eventual failure - just like that Mythbusters episode where they try to take down the bridge with the 5 pound weight.

Which is BTW: Why you never use multiple gyroscopes of the same size in the same direction.

And a Harddrive is basically the same idea as a gyroscope.

If hard drive = gyroscope and you "never" should have them in the same direction, how come thousands of computer geeks who work at companies who make RAID racks and so on do not know this?

This will be the best excuse in games now.

Even better then "lag spike" and "sorry my little brother was playing"

If hard drive = gyroscope and you "never" should have them in the same direction, how come thousands of computer geeks who work at companies who make RAID racks and so on do not know this?

Maybe they didnt realise that performance drops could be due to anything to do with vibration from the drives themselves.
If this is really true (as bad as it looks), there are sure to be many arrays that will get a performance benefit from noise and mechanical vibration isolation.

I completely agree. Don't shout at your hard drive, it has feelings too. Except Maxtor 10k Atlas drives, they don't have any feelings and they don't a **** about yours either. They want your data not your problems.

Back