Shouldve listened to you guys - Razer keyboard gone

Unfortunate to hear of your bad luck. I however have experienced much success with my Razer Death Adder for the past 2.5 years and I must say its the most comfortable and responsive mouse I've ever used.

I'm also using a Lycosa keyboard that was used for 1 full year straight by a friend of mine before passing it onto me in May 2010 (she ordered a brand new Lycosa mirror special edition) and it has been one of the most responsive and durable keyboards I've had the pleasure of owning and the touch controls for disabling the windows key and controlling itunes work like a champ.

As for my Razer Nostromo - it has been flawless since November 2010 and I use it exclusively for fps. I love this peripheral the most and the blue lights match the Death Adder and Lycosa perfectly.

As they say YMMV.

Last edited:
When your keyboard has backlit keys on it you know you did something wrong...........

When your keyboard has backlit keys on it you know you did something wrong...........

As i sit here looking at my rock solid G15 i have to wonder wtf you are actually going on about............

As i sit here looking at my rock solid G15 i have to wonder wtf you are actually going on about............

I think he's referring to the fact that most of the good mechanical keyboards aren't back lit. To my knowledge the only one that is worth a crap that's back lit is the Deck which are available with only two different types of switches. Either that or he just hates back lighting.

I think he's referring to the fact that most of the good mechanical keyboards aren't back lit. To my knowledge the only one that is worth a crap that's back lit is the Deck which are available with only two different types of switches. Either that or he just hates back lighting.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Still though i cant imagine anybody taking that POS razer board seriously as a mechanical board, lights or not.

IMO the mistake they made was letting you play with keys while in the box through that window. I spent 5 seconds with it and knew it was junk without even getting one out of the packaging.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Still though i cant imagine anybody taking that POS razer board seriously as a mechanical board, lights or not.

IMO the mistake they made was letting you play with keys while in the box through that window. I spent 5 seconds with it and knew it was junk without even getting one out of the packaging.

I was tempted to order it when it was on sale, but I was really put off by the backlit keys. After seeing a lot of the keyboards posted on here I am kind of disturbed by letters on keys. I think I'm going crazy...

There is an awful lot of haterade in this thread. Yes Razer makes a lot of crappy/gimmicky products, but my deathadder several years old and it is still the most comfortable and best mouse I have ever touched. I just got the blackwidow (non ultimate) last week for $75 on Amazon and absolutely love it. I have the feeling it's going to be the deathadder in their keyboard lineup.

I don't get how you could handle the razer for more than 5 seconds and think it is bad quality. This thing is solid, super heavy and just plain feels excellent. Can you feel a difference in quality between the blackwidow and a filco or das? Maybe, but those cost twice as much.

IMO the blackwidow is an excellent gateway keyboard for those who want to enter the world of mechanical but don't want to drop $150. I like it more than the 6Gv2 which is $25 more on amazon.

YMMV but I think it's a diamond in the rough for Razer products, and shouldn't be discarded simply for being a Razer.

I'm using a black IBM keyboard that I've had for many many years and love it.

I don't get how you could handle the razer for more than 5 seconds and think it is bad quality.

Its actually pretty easy when youre in a battle in Borderlands and your dude just starts strafing off to the side non stop and right into a den of skags.

Trust me, I just made an ass out of myself by starting a whole thread full of Razer love so I wouldnt be admitting this if it werent for good reason. Im completely with you on the Deathadder as its by far and away the best and most comfortable mouse Ive ever used.

Whats wrong with backlit keys? I get why a keyboard purist, whatever that is, would be put off by them but for those of us that game in a dimly lit room, they come in pretty handy.

Ehh.

Black widow is a mech with cherry blue KB @ $75 brand new. 104, Decent build quality and some warranty. Unless you know how to get Ducky's at like $95, these are fine.
You can get a filco for 2x the price or a topre for 3x...still mech kbs

The one piece of advice i would give to anyone that really wants a razer product is spend the cash and get the warranty.

After so many mice and keyboards failing thats the ONLY way i can justify buying from them anymore.

If you really like it spend the $20 and dont worry about it breaking.

I've had my Deathadder for years now and its ttraveled /w me to two different contenents...its even got some exposed wireing.... its still rock solid after years of abuse....will buy another when it dies...interesting about razor keyboards tho

Ehh.

Black widow is a mech with cherry blue KB @ $75 brand new. 104, Decent build quality and some warranty. Unless you know how to get Ducky's at like $95, these are fine.
You can get a filco for 2x the price or a topre for 3x...still mech kbs

had a BWU, returned it in a week and got a ducky 1087 for $85 last month. so far loving it.

After using my Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard for over a decade I decided I wanted a mechanical keyboard. I had a few requirements that I needed filled. I needed at least one USB port on board to plug in my mouse. I want media keys for volume and such. The Razor keyboard was the ONLY one I could find that fulfilled those requirements. Can anyone here provide me with one that does other than the Razor keyboard?

It has been working OK but sometimes the media keys seem to stop working or they lag really bad. So far it's just been annoying but I still like it. I agree with the software complaint. I don't think it's physically got problems...it's the software.

After using my Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard for over a decade I decided I wanted a mechanical keyboard. I had a few requirements that I needed filled. I needed at least one USB port on board to plug in my mouse. I want media keys for volume and such. The Razor keyboard was the ONLY one I could find that fulfilled those requirements. Can anyone here provide me with one that does other than the Razor keyboard?

It has been working OK but sometimes the media keys seem to stop working or they lag really bad. So far it's just been annoying but I still like it. I agree with the software complaint. I don't think it's physically got problems...it's the software.

Das Keyboard has the keys. It's the only quality one that does, I think.

Maybe a USB device exists that has a pause/play/volume control on it that you can set on your desk as well?

If its working ok for you so far, I say keep it. Dont want to sound like a broken record here but the issue is with the drivers/firmware and not with the physical build quality of the keyboard itself. Keep up to date with the firmware updates on the Razer website and maybe email them about the problems and who knows, maybe somebody up there will fix it. It is a great keyboard, software aside......which I know is like saying, its a great car aside from the engine sucking. :D

Don't give up on mechanical boards. I think you'd notice a major quality boost with a Filco, Leopold or Das.

Also this.

But if you want backlit a Deck is an awesome keyboard. If they ever put out an MX Blue I'm going to try it.

I saw somewhere that the Razer Black Widow is a rebadged keyboard. I just cant remember who actually makes it.

The company that makes the Xarmor makes the Razer keyboards.
Do you play TF2 under this name? I was playing yesterday with an Evil Furby who was playing a spy (and bitching at his teammates for sucking).

I have 2 Razer mice, the Boomslang CE and the Lachesis. The Boomslang can be twitchy and is quite big, the Lachesis is like butter. I've been torn between the G-15 and the Microsoft sidewinder X6 for keyboards.

I have 2 Razer mice, the Boomslang CE and the Lachesis. The Boomslang can be twitchy and is quite big, the Lachesis is like butter. I've been torn between the G-15 and the Microsoft sidewinder X6 for keyboards.

Go mechanical. Membrane keyboards suck. And for what the G-15 costs you are pretty much already spending "mechanical keyboard money" anyway.

Go mechanical. Membrane keyboards suck. And for what the G-15 costs you are pretty much already spending "mechanical keyboard money" anyway.

I was a G-15 user before I picked up a couple of Filco keyboards. I wish I saw the light sooner.

I would go mechanical but i use the extra stuff the G15 has that the mechanicals dont have.
I paid 150 for my g15v1 used.

guess what i dont know wont hurt me.

Cross over, children... step into the light!

I've been using a deathadder/lycosa combo for over 3 years now without a problem. Just cant go back. I've always wanted to try mechanical but prices are very intimidating. Not a razer fanboy, just prefer laptop style keyboards.

Im just cursed for keyboards I guess. Ive never spent more than $40 on a keyboard and have never had a problem I buy a $120 keyboard and it has problems. I trade it in on another $120 keyboard and it has problems. Now this Logitech G510 is doubling keys about every paragraph or so. I cant get thru a post without at least one letterr doubling. What the hell?! Maybe I should be on the look out for falling pianos!

No, I havent. Never even thought about that actually.

I did try tweaking the settings for repeat delay and speed to no avail. Im wondering if its just because Ive never had a keyboard with a 500 Hz polling rate and maybe Im fat fingering the keys or something and the higher polling rate is picking it up where my cheaper boards didnt. Ill try the USB port tho. Thanks for the tip.

Either way, Im keeping this G510. Its grown on me and I like the LCD screen, software and overall look and feel. I think I can live with an additional type-o every paragraph for a while cause its perfect in games.

**EDIT**

Ill be damned! That appears to have done the trick! I never in a million years wouldve thought of switching USB ports. I Googled this several times the last couple of days and never found that suggestion. You sir, are a steely eyed missile man!

Last edited:
The Razer felt better. The keys were bigger and it didnt take any getting used to. I just sat it down and I was off. The Logitech has taken some getting used to. Since it has 400 macros, the keys are smaller and feel more crowded. Im getting the hang of it now but it took several days before I could type without having to constantly look down to place my hands right. The Razer was very loud though and while I liked the tactile feel of the keys, the clicking was bugging my wife in the next room all the time. The Logitech is whisper quiet and the keys are very firm and smooth.

They both have the look and feel like they were bolted together by eye surgeons. Definitely some superb fit and finish.

They both look sharp as hell too but the Razer get the win here. It just looked bad ass sitting on my desk and while I read a lot of people bitching about the gloss finish on the Razer catching smudges, I didnt have a problem with it even with a 2 year old fingering all over it. The backlights on the Razer look great and you can adjust their brightness or turn them off but you can only pick blue. The Logitech has several colors you can choose from or you can pick your own custom color with their software. However you cant adjust their brightness and they are too dim IMO. Theyre fine if its pretty dark in your room but in dim rooms like mine, theyre not bright enough.

One thing I didnt like about the Razer was the lack of NKRO and I felt the point of actuation was a little bit too high. Shouldnt be a problem for most but if you need to press the same key repeatedly and fast, it could be. The Logitech has excellent actuation and 6 KRO!

The LCD screen is kinda gimicky but I do like it. I have it running the Core Temp applet most of the time and its usefull during some games like Borderlands as itll diaplay a count of how many objectives youve hit on a certain quest and so on. I wish it were a little bigger but its readable as is.

The software was decent but the UI is so small that it looks more like a Gadget than a driver. Logitech's is fullscreen with easy to read everything and just looks 10 times more professional. But one pain in the balls for the Logitech is that you cant disable any keys like Caps/Lock. That kinda sucks cause Im always hitting that by accident. My $30 Logitech keyboard before this had that feature. Kinda odd that this $120 board doesnt.

The legs on the front of the Razer were perfect height and set the keyboard up just right. The Logitech's are worthless. I had to take some felt that I use for car stereo speaker installation and stack 3 pieces of it on the bottom of the legs to get the keyboard to the angle I like.

The volume control on the Logitech is very handy. The Razer doesnt have anything like this. Its not a deal breaker but it is a very nice shortcut so I dont have to lean forward and turn my speakers down.

They both have headphone and mic jacks on them but the Razer had a USB port on it as well. Would be kind of handy if you want to plug in a flash drive real quick or something I suppose.

Honestly, Im not sure which I liked better. If I knew the Razer wouldnt have problems, I would probably rather have it cause it was more "fun" to type on and looked better on my desk.

I bought a G510 last night and went out to buy a Black Widow to replace it tonight. The Logitech was a mush-fest... it has a really long "throw" on the keys and only the last little bit is actually a key press. My fingers got tired after one day of gaming and fiddling around.

Now I'm a bit dismayed with just how loud this Black Widow keyboard is, but I think I'll get used to it. I'll probably end up returning it for a Steelseries 6GV2

Back