Should You Warn Employees You're Geo-Tracking Them?

If you run a company, I don't see how it's out of line to tell people what they can and can't do with your equipment. I know lots of places that provide vehicles for certain employees, they basically say that you are not to use it for off hour runs UNLESS it is related to something with work. They are flexible on this if you're stopping at places between work and home, like picking your kid up or wife up...within reason.

They used to judge this by gas usage, if you started using a lot more fuel, they ask what was up. It's a sign of vehicle problems or vehicle misuse if you can't explain why it's went up. With this at least they didn't know exactly what you were doing, but you knew they were watching. If they put a device specifically in the vehicle to watch where you go, then they should tell you so you can inform them of detours and what not if one comes up so it's not a problem later.

I worked at a place that had issues with me working through lunch after I started doing it to keep up with all the demands they were placing on me. I had to get a manager to sign off on it, then I had to tell them prior to doing it that I was going to be doing so. So, I did......made it as annoying as fucking possible for them because it was a bullshit rule I think they put in place because they were afraid I was going to file a complaint more than they thought I was lying.

A secret device just makes it so you WANT to catch them doing something against your policies so you have grounds to fire them IMO. Hell you might even be well within what their policy says, but if they want 2-3 months to bring 10 incidents to your attention, you might not remember half of them if they are far enough back to justify them. So then they have "questionable" tracking activity that may have been totally legitimate. I don't see a point in operating like that. Tell them the shit is being tracked, and if/when they disagree with that...they can leave your property at work and you'll have to find someway to reliable get a hold of them then...or another way to promote off hours work.

It's very similar to places that lock their machines down so much you can't do a simple 5 minute personal thing on their equipment during your break to save you the effort of going home at lunch to do the same thing on your home equipment. Or making personal phone calls on your break to schedule doctor's appointments or whatever, they want to create an environment where you can't possibly work without doing something questionable at some point....even if MOST people/employers would not mind....another reason to hold your feet to the fire and hold it over your head when you want a raise/etc.

This is pretty similar to the FBI tracking devices put on vehicles without court orders. And they tried to use the same exact arguement. We're tracking a vehicle, not a person. They lost, big time, and it was because of invasion of privacy. Oh, it won't be appealed, either. It was a Supreme Court decision.

I'm also reminded of the recent rash of employers demanding facebook PASSWORDS before employment or even during employment. Many people thought that crossed a line, and it should never even have come up because it's OBVIOUSLY quite a stupid thing to do. But no. Stupid people are the reason why laws are created, so now several states are passing laws that make this illegal.

I believe drug screening goes in the same category. If someone does their job and their job isn't a public safety issue it's no one's damn business.

I believe drug screening goes in the same category. If someone does their job and their job isn't a public safety issue it's no one's damn business.

Lawsuits are the reason for drug tests. If you are on company time, high as a kite, then do something to hurt someone or destroy someones property, not only are you liable for damages but the company is as well.

Lawsuits will be one of the reasons for the downfall of this country.

This is pretty similar to the FBI tracking devices put on vehicles without court orders. And they tried to use the same exact arguement. We're tracking a vehicle, not a person. They lost, big time, and it was because of invasion of privacy. Oh, it won't be appealed, either. It was a Supreme Court decision.

HUGE difference and not even close. The difference? The FBI DID NOT OWN THE CAR.

If its company property, then I don’t feel the employee necessarily has the right to know.
Ten years ago while working as a dock foreman for a shipping company, we received our first 2 phones with GPS. We handed them out to the 2 tractor-trailer drivers that had the most problems in delivering freight on time. The first guy, James, was a night driver. We discovered that he was parking at a Wal-Mart in a nearby city and doing his shopping on certain nights. Whenever he left the Wal-Mart he would head to his house to drop off the groceries and THEN make his pickups and deliveries. He was confronted with it and rather than deny it, James said "A man's got to get his shopping done sometime!" The owner didn't fire him because "it's hard to find people to drive at night."

The 2nd guy, Bill, had 3 bundles of cabinets to deliver to 3 different Lowe's warehouses. He was 2 hours late for the 1st appointment, 2½ hours late for the 2nd, and the 3rd warehouse would close before he could get there so he returned with that part of the load. The owner confronted Bill with a GPS track of his route displaying the drivers trip SOUTH (his 1st stop was east, and then the next two were north from there). Bill's girlfriend lived in Fayetteville, NC, where he made his lengthy detour to visit before making his deliveries that day. He was fired.
This might not be the case for ALL situations, but it makes a good argument for not telling.

No, it makes a good case for firing those specific employees. They were shitty employees . As the old adage goes, two wrongs do not make a right.

HUGE difference and not even close. The difference? The FBI DID NOT OWN THE CAR.

Even more huge a difference, the FBI did not get you to sign an an electronic use agreement, or the like, giving them permission to track company property, or to log all use of company computers and networks.

After doing some checking around, almost every employer has employees that use electronic devices sign an electronic use policy/agreement. Every last place I have ever worked had one.
Whether or not they would stand up in court, I don't know. Have not researched that. Even though he says he does not tell them, they were likely informed, at least they were likely informed if they read what they were signing.

I think there is nothing wrong with tracking company vehicles through GPS, as long as the company lets the employees know. I think that is the most responsible course of action. Fleet management through GPS is beneficial for the company. But I'm not so sure about the FBI tracking people through vehicles (though they claim they are tracking the vehicle).

I wish I could get my hands on those FBI bastards and enabling judges and rivet a GPS tracker to their scrotum.

"I'm not tracking you, I'm tracking your balls."

What do you do when work requires you carry a cell phone that is tracked 24/7, and you have to answer 24/7 if called. (no on call or overtime pay either).
When I asked what stops everyone from spying on me durring off hours I was told
"You'll just have to trust me."

We need an updated version of "wiretapping laws" to match current technology (GPS, IP phones, ISP tracking, etc). This kind of crap will only get worse.

What do you do when work requires you carry a cell phone that is tracked 24/7, and you have to answer 24/7 if called. (no on call or overtime pay either).
When I asked what stops everyone from spying on me durring off hours I was told
"You'll just have to trust me."

We need an updated version of "wiretapping laws" to match current technology (GPS, IP phones, ISP tracking, etc). This kind of crap will only get worse.

If someone proposes enslaving you, the answer is no.

Back