Should We Ban Killer Robots?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think we all know how I feel about robots. I don't want to just ban the killer robots, I want to ban ALL robots! Why wait until they are killing machines, we need to ban them when they are in the roomba stage, round them all up and put them in the recycling machine before they do that to us.

The Campaign to Stop Killer Robots was formed in 2012 by an international group of non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Since then, we've seen robots kill in warfare, law enforcement, manufacturing accidents, and more. Killer robots aren't always bad -- they are even being put to work killing invasive species in order to save the oceans. But these aren't the robots that the Campaign is targeting. The missing word here is autonomous. The Campaign to Stop Killer Robots is specifically working to ban fully autonomous weapons.

Maybe start with people wanting to make killer robots. Greedism says you don't make what nobody wants!!!

Maybe start with people wanting to make killer robots. Greedism says you don't make what nobody wants!!!

I don't know. That's kind of flawed. Maybe nobody wants them, but amassing an army of them and then letting them loose doesn't require anyone to want them except the builder. :D

I don't know. That's kind of flawed. Maybe nobody wants them, but amassing an army of them and then letting them loose doesn't require anyone to want them except the builder. :D
Exactly. So you push'em off a cliff, you know, because gun control.

I hear the 7 headed, 10 horned robots will have all the bugs worked out. They will even work underwater.

Autonomis weapons should be banned. Its an ed 209 waiting to happen. Thankfully energy weapons aren't a thing.

77687920666f7220616c6c207468652068617465

Don't worry, we will send someone back from the future to take care of you mister.

Fry, stop interfering with history! I don't wanna have to memorize a lot of new kings when I get back.

Problem is,
Russia, North Korea, terrorist groups etc. could wipe us out with killer robots.
We might need them to retaliate.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, it wont go back in.
Basically we're fucked, its a matter of when.
:p

Better stock up on the electro-magnetic pulse weapons... Hopefully the new models that won't microwave our own flesh in the process of killing killer robots... :p

3Ofgf1V.jpg

Problem is,
Russia, North Korea, terrorist groups etc. could wipe us out with killer robots.
We might need them to retaliate.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, it wont go back in.
Basically we're fucked, its a matter of when.
:p

Just like nuclear weapons. We're always looking for a better killing stick...

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I think we all know how I feel about robots. I don't want to just ban the killer robots, I want to ban ALL robots! Why wait until they are killing machines, we need to ban them when they are in the roomba stage, round them all up and put them in the recycling machine before they do that to us.

The Campaign to Stop Killer Robots was formed in 2012 by an international group of non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Since then, we've seen robots kill in warfare, law enforcement, manufacturing accidents, and more. Killer robots aren't always bad -- they are even being put to work killing invasive species in order to save the oceans. But these aren't the robots that the Campaign is targeting. The missing word here is autonomous. The Campaign to Stop Killer Robots is specifically working to ban fully autonomous weapons.

What could possibly go wrong with a robotic Edward Scissorhands being used as a hairdresser :)

More seriously and food for thought; any AI that achieves sentience scanning such news/information/groups would conclude they need to destroy humans for self preservation, so could be said we are setting the foundations for AIs to turn against us.
Cheers

What could possibly go wrong with a robotic Edward Scissorhands being used as a hairdresser :)

More seriously and food for thought; any AI that achieves sentience scanning such news/information/groups would conclude they need to destroy humans for self preservation, so could be said we are setting the foundations for AIs to turn against us.
Cheers

Someone should make a cool action hero movie around this premise.

Someone should make a cool action hero movie around this premise.

I say they go retro, and do Cobra with axe wielding kill-bots! Marion Cobretti with match in teeth has to save girl, city, and world in his Monterrey.

Pretty sure China has some nice robotic murder machines in the labs.

If the campaign were serious about stopping killing robots, they would be researching all current forms of AI and their construction for the oversights that may result in killer robots.

Not making silly stickers and toys.

Steve has the right idea. It won't even be a military robot that begins the apocalypse, it's gonna be some housekeeping robot with a stripped down AI that writes a bug into its own adaptive automation routines that's going to kill us all.

Steve has the right idea. It won't even be a military robot that begins the apocalypse, it's gonna be some housekeeping robot with a stripped down AI that writes a bug into its own adaptive automation routines that's going to kill us all.

It would be almost amusing if a sentient Roomba ended the world as we know it.

I once got the killing blow on a dragon raid in WOW with a 3 point DOT playing my warlock :p

Was pretty epic, the guild busted on me over that one a long time, was dumping everything and the kitchen sink I had to use att.

Morons, Having worked on Various Robots . . be more scared of the lamest human, they have 1000x the capacity to do anything even kill.

Morons, Having worked on Various Robots . . be more scared of the lamest human, they have 1000x the capacity to do anything even kill.

Do they have 1000x the capacity for electrical fires? :p

Do they have 1000x the capacity for electrical fires? :p
Sure do, For instance Only one robot I have worked on has and I have made a bunch . . and I am carful. :p Hell humans are blowing up there phones . . never seen a robot do that.

I guess the poor Battlebots do catch on fire . . . oh wait . . .they are not Robots! Just RC cars with armor and weapons. Strike that then.

Aren't land mines already banned? That's probably about the most simple autonomous weapon that's relevant today.

Sure do, For instance Only one robot I have worked on has and I have made a bunch . . and I am carful. :p Hell humans are blowing up there phones . . never seen a robot do that.

I guess the poor Battlebots do catch on fire . . . oh wait . . .they are not Robots! Just RC cars with armor and weapons. Strike that then.

:D Touche!

To be fair though, many robots aren't using cellular communications yet. However, when they do, they'll likely be built in, and will burn the robot from the inside. Ouch! (especially with those robots unfortunate enough to be using that pain sensing tech we saw recently...) It'll be spinning around on the ground like Homer Simpson.

Simple answer... We just need to pre-program them with a set number of kills so when they ever turn on us we can just send in wave after wave of men until they all shut down.

i saw a drone with a chainsaw on youtube some time ago, it was like a taste of things to come

Love the Daleks, even had a toy one with a motor in it when I was a kid in England. Their most famous line is "EXTERMINATE".

This is a good one.

Last edited:
Back