Should Sonic be retired?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I love Sonic but as is obvious to everyone SEGA keeps trying to shoe horn Sonic into all kinds of different gameplay mechanics that simply don't work (for the most part). As popular as Sonic is should SEGA just throw in the towel and retire him for good?

Never a big sonic fan, but it's not sonic that's the problem. It's Sega's ineptitude to make a good game for him.

As someone with a 5 year old boy, I can seriously say he will never be retired. Forget the games.. there is a massive market of toys, backbacks, lunch pails.. GALORE. They just started a brand new cartoon series as well. Sonic is a legit icon with children.

You're probably just old.

Yes. Sega can barely manage themselves much less a beloved character from the 90's.

If Sonic is ever really retired, it will be because of Sega. What made Sonic fun was the fast paced side scrolling aspect.

This may just be me, but wouldn't it be better if Sonic didn't need to work in a 3D world, but maybe a 2.5D world would be better. Keep the controls tight, the game play engaging, and the levels interesting and challenging.

Then again I'm not a game designer so what do I know.

If Sonic is ever really retired, it will be because of Sega. What made Sonic fun was the fast paced side scrolling aspect.

This may just be me, but wouldn't it be better if Sonic didn't need to work in a 3D world, but maybe a 2.5D world would be better. Keep the controls tight, the game play engaging, and the levels interesting and challenging.

Then again I'm not a game designer so what do I know.

You mean like the handheld games that sell like crazy and are vastly better than the console games?

Sonic colors, generations and allstars games were good, there's no reason why they couldn't improve and make more games like them.

Last edited:
As someone with a 5 year old boy, I can seriously say he will never be retired. Forget the games.. there is a massive market of toys, backbacks, lunch pails.. GALORE. They just started a brand new cartoon series as well. Sonic is a legit icon with children.

You're probably just old.

lol tell that to Sega about charging more for its license mascot

Sonic is just a tier down from Mario, who is also a tier or two below Micky Mouse. They are immortal. I wouldn't care if they all retired though. But none of them would unless the companies went out of business.

I love Sonic but as is obvious to everyone SEGA keeps trying to shoe horn Sonic into all kinds of different gameplay mechanics that simply don't work (for the most part). As popular as Sonic is should SEGA just throw in the towel and retire him for good?

I think they should but they won't. The best Sonic games are on the Genesis, and it's all downhill from there. Oh sure, there's a decent game here and there. Sonic Generations was a pleasant surprise. Still - it would be great if they could throw in the towel and release the license to public domain so that the real enthusiasts can make new games on the Sega Genesis (or Sega CD).

See this link for Sonic Megamix - a fan-made Sonic the Hedgehog modification that can run on Sega CD. It's absolutely boss, and is a good example that a good Sonic game is still possible to make.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Megamix

The problem with Sonic is that he hasn't had anywhere close to the stability of Mario.
At this point I think he's probably a 2nd tier mascot for a company that has fallen off in much the same way the character has. He isn't exactly Crash Bandicoot, but he's a long way from being Mario these days.
Rather than "retire" him, they should probably stop licensing the character to random devs intent on cranking out half-hearted sequels and spin-offs every few weeks.

The problem with Sonic is that he hasn't had anywhere close to the stability of Mario.

Because they keep trying to re-invent him. Seriously, who ever thought Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, and Unleashed were good ideas to start with?

That being said, I seriously doubt Sega has the capacity to even code a good game anymore, since everything they're releasing now are bug filled messes. Wouldn't be shocked to see the studio just go under in the future.

BLAST PROCESSING!

I doubt SEGA would ever retire one of their most well know game characters, its simply too much of a icon of the company/cash cow.

article-1218989-06BF47DC000005DC-147_634x359_popup.jpg

Back