• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should it really take this long?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
1,171
Should it really take about 2 hours to transfer on the same drive controller but different 'channels' (PCI expansion card) 150GB of data from Drive to drive? I calculated this to be about 21MB/s, doesn't this seem a bit slow for a 200GB Seagate 7200RPM drive and a 400GB Seagate 7200RPM drive? I have a promise ATA100 drive controller.
 
How is the data being copied? If it's going from filesystem to filesystem, and you've got any significant number of small files, 21 MB/s isn't too bad an average. If you were copying blocks I'd be a little more worried.

 
unhappy_mage said:
How is the data being copied? If it's going from filesystem to filesystem, and you've got any significant number of small files, 21 MB/s isn't too bad an average. If you were copying blocks I'd be a little more worried.


Both are NTFS and these are quite large files too! Thats why I'm so worried. The data should be relatively sequential since it's not only completely and utterly contiguous but I'm copying all of the data so I dunno.
 
Did it take that long, or did windows think it was going to take that long at the time?

Windows can't calculate transfer times to save its life, from my experience.
 
I believe it would be correct due to the file being contiguous. Windows does an ok job of calculating times it takes but usually falls short due to fragmentation.
 
Back
Top