• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I wait for 4000 Series?

MaXXimus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Messages
312
Ok so Im planning on buying 2 3870 X2's in about a week or less (I hope... come on Alienware give me my money back...). But I keep seeing articles about the 4870 X2 release may be coming in June, so now Im kinda wonering if its worth waiting for their release or not. I also sit here thinking about if I wait then that means more waiting on drivers and waiting on blocks and then just the cold hard facts that release dates can always be pushed back by months...

So I guess the big questions is, are these worth waiting on compared to the 3870 X2?
 
Nobody knows. Just get the 3870x2, and be happy with it. If you wait, who knows for sure what cards will debut in june - and who knows if itll be launched on time - and who knows about the driver support - and who knows if it'll be price gouged - and who knows.. if it'll be a good card.

Get where I'm going?
 
You do realize that if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever. Buy some good cards now, and replace 'em when you need to.
 
I can't tell you if R700/RV770 is going to be any good. Fudo seems to think that it will be faster by 50% or more over the current 38*0 series. But those are just rumors. And sometimes you just can't trust them, no matter how much fun they may be to hear or spread. :)
 
Here's an alternative: Get an 8800gt or 8800gts 512 from either XFX or EVGA (good resale value) to play all your games now at high settings (except for that 1 game). Both are affordable and can be sold if you like the new stuff that comes out Q2. I think its safe to say you can sell it for at minimum 80% of what you pay for them come June/July.
 
You do realize that if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever. Buy some good cards now, and replace 'em when you need to.

Basically. There is always something better around the corner when it comes to graphics. You could wait three years, and there would still be something worth waiting for. By then your system would be completely obsolete and you'd need a full upgrade of all your components to fully enjoy one of the "next-gen" graphics cards. You might as well enjoy what you have now by getting what's available and good now.
 
Get one... if crossfire X ever gets here there's a good shot it might work with the 4000 series.
 
Already talking of a June Release huh? Does this go for all cards, low-mid-high range? After the year plus of the 8800s I was hoping for longer product cycles now.

Id snatch up a card now thats an unbeatable deal, either ATI or Nvidia. If the product cycles this short, your probably going to be able to sell it for what you paid or just a little less. If your going to do any waiting and have your heart set on ATI, Id wait for Nvidias new high end to launch. Id expect some good deals or big rebates that week if they try to steal some of Nvidias thunder.
 
I think it would be better to wait. If you absolutely need something, consider a 3870. They just dropped or will drop very shortly in price. They won't cost you an arm & leg like the 3870x2 & still have enough performance to tide you over. Also should have a decent resell value when you're ready for the upgrade.
 
Back
Top