Should I use my Audigy 1 or the AC97 7.1 on my NF3?

Urraca

Gawd
Okay, I have used my Audigy forever, even had the audigy 2 drivers installed. I recently just reinstalled windows, and got a new mobo/cpu. I now have the realtek 7.1 onboard audio. Which would be better to use? I know audigy drivers are very annoying etc. How does sound quality compare to the Audigy 1?

GodsMadClown said:
Why don't you listen and find out?

Because I really didn't want to install, then uninstall the Audigy. I want a clean, fresh system.

If having a clean system is a priority, then don't do anything. That way you won't mess anything up.

Anyway, I can't really comment on the sound quality of the original Audigy since I've never had one. However, typically add-in soundcards are better than onboard sound solutions. I say typically since some PCI soundcards (like my SB Live!'s) sound terrible compared to onboard sound.

Really, the only way to find out is to experiment yourself. Nobody can tell you what sounds better because they're your ears and your system. We can make assumptions if the discrepancy between the expected audio quality of two cards is great enough. But between and Audigy and onboard sound? That's up for you to decide.

I'd dare say an audigy sounds better than realtek onboard, 7.1 or not. Maybe a good time to research some modified audigy drivers?

I'd agree generally, but I don't think any SB card could ever sound as bad as ACL 97 sound.

-wil

The AC'97 will demand a lot more resources, but it is my understanding that the Audigy 1 is buggy as hell and that's why they scrapped it soon after releasing it. That, I believe, was the driving force behind the Audigy 2.

Back