• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I use 1 SSD or 2

BBrzon

n00b
Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
27
I am building a new system at home. I was wondering if I could get some advice about SSDs. I have never used them before, nor have a I ever set up a RAID. I am looking to buy two 60GB Corsair Nova Series 2 SATA II SSDs for this setup. First off, will I be able to load Win7 Home Premium 64bit on one of these and run all my programs off the other. I have been told that I should setup a RAID with the two drives. How would I go about doing that? Any thoughts or suggestions will be most apprieciated.

Thanks,
Brett
 
I would skip the raid and get a single Intel 120GB SSD (hopefully they have fixed the 320 firmware bug).
 
I would skip the raid and get a single Intel 120GB SSD (hopefully they have fixed the 320 firmware bug).

So what you are saying is that I would be better off running one SSD like the Intel 120GB for OS and programs. I am also running a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green for storage. What would your thoughts be on the OCZ Agility 2 120GB SSD?
 
I would not buy any single product that OCZ makes. Read these forums..

So what you are saying is that I would be better off running one SSD like the Intel 120GB for OS and programs.

I am saying its best not to bother with trying to buy 2 small (I consider a 60GB SSD small) SSDs and trying to raid 0 them knowing that you will loose TRIM in the process so then having to set aside (leave unpartitioned and not used) 10% to 30% percent of your total space to work around the lack of TRIM support on raid arrays.
 
Last edited:
you don't want agility because it uses async nand. it can't handle random data well.

you also don't have to leave space unused, the drives are overprovisioned already
 
I agree with drescherjm - get the Intel 320 120GB SSD and call it a day. No need to mess with RAID for the SSD (which loses you TRIM in any case). What motherboard do you have - does it support SATA 6G? If so, you might go for one of the Crucial M4s instead of the Intel, if you want, so you can take advantage of the 6G (not that it makes all that much difference for normal use).
 
I agree with drescherjm - get the Intel 320 120GB SSD and call it a day. No need to mess with RAID for the SSD (which loses you TRIM in any case). What motherboard do you have - does it support SATA 6G? If so, you might go for one of the Crucial M4s instead of the Intel, if you want, so you can take advantage of the 6G (not that it makes all that much difference for normal use).

I am building my system with the MSI 760GM-P35 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. No it does not have 6GB SATAs on it. Also I am on a major budget so a $200+ SSD is out of the question for me. My budget is $690 and with the OCZ I'm almost to $670. Any suggestions on the Corsair Force CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A 2.5" 115GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) as an OS/Program drive?

Thanks,
Brett
 
I bought a 240 Gig Vertex 2 a few months ago for my main system and home and it started corrupting Windows last month.

It is in the RMA process right now.

I am going to replace it in my home system as I travel a lot, and need better reliability for the home computer while I am gone.

So, I am thinking about an intel drive in the home system, and throwing the POS OCZ drive in my old work laptop. Ha, the drive will be worth more than the rest of the laptop. Oh well, at least it will be faster.

I would stay away from OCZ. They make some good stuff, but have heard lots of reports of problems.

I also concur with the advice to avoid a RAID. Too many negatives, and not enough bang for the effort involved. Spend a little extra and get 1 good drive.

Don
 
My vote is for 128GB Crucial M4 also. You don't hear a lot of problems with them. Thats why I bought one.
 
[LYL]Homer;1037670329 said:
See Hot Deals subforum for awesome deals on 128gb Crucial M4 drives.

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Read = Up to 415 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Write = Up to 175 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)

Does anybody know what the Read/Write specs are for at SATA 3Gb/s since my MB doesn't support SATA III?

Thanks,
Brett
 
A single SSD is so fast that I doubt you would see any real world improvement with normal usage vs 2 in RAID-0. If course they would bench higher in a stripe, but for daily use you would never know the difference. A single SSD is plenty fast.

Now video photo editing and CAD/3D work would possibly benefit, but now your talking about such large files that you would be better off with a mechanical drive RAID setup. Even my ancient ARC-1230 with green Samsung 5400 RPM drives can burst at 800+ (any file less than 2GB is basically instantaneous due to the cache) and sustain 300+ read/writes and thats with 8TB or storage in RAID6.
 
A larger capacity drive is better then raiding a ssd because you lose the TRIM function if you raid a ssd drive.
 
Back
Top