Should I upgrade?

Avengeance

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
773
I am currently trying to figure out if I should upgrade at all right now. I have been playing tribes vengeance and counterstrike source. I realized that these games on max settings slow down in some areas. So I have some extra cash to spend on my comp.So if anyone wants to give me some pointers on what I should upgrade and when please let me know. I really want to upgrade my video card but I know PCI-E is right around the corner from hitting main stream so I dont know if that would be a good idea just yet. And does anyone know of a good power supply to get that already comes with sleeved cables? Thank you.
 
id try selling your 9800 and putting the money towards a x800 or 6800gt. if you dont want to spend the money on those, even a regular 6800 will be faster than your 9800. the rest of the system is still plenty fast imo.
 
I'd expect you to be able to run CS: Source with no hiccups at all. I've got a buddy with almost the same rig as you and he sees no problems at all.
 
but wont the PCI-E versions of those cards be far superior? And how far do you think the PCI-E is from hitting mainstream?
 
Well I can run it really good but tribes i have to turn down the textures cause sometimes it slows down. But for cs source i really want to be able to turn up the AA an the AF and have it run really good.
 
Avengeance said:
but wont the PCI-E versions of those cards be far superior? And how far do you think the PCI-E is from hitting mainstream?

i dont think pci-e is going to make it to the mainstream till sometime q1-q2 05. upgrading to a pci-e system would involve new cpu/motherboard/ram/video
 
They will be... eventually. Right now, however, they are pretty comparable.

You might as well buy an AGP card now. If you get a good one, it will last you for a long time and you'll get your money out of it.

Besides.. That way you won't need to spend additional cash on a motherboard upgrade.
 
the only things i would look at upgrading would be the vid card, and maybe the psu, you didn't list your psu.. so i don't know what you have.. but just get an agp x800 or 6800...
 
I have an antec true 420w power supply. I really want a sleeved one tho becuase I have wires everywhere in my case and It bugs me after a while.
 
that psu is fine, i ran the p4 system in my sig with a antec sl350 350w just find water cooler and all.
 
My water cooling is starting to piss me off. One of the tubes kinked a bit, I dont know if it not performing as well cause I didnt notice a temp increase of any kind. But anways I think I need to order some new tubing. If I got a new x800 pro video card, do you think I would need a new waterblock or is it the same layout of the core and the holes?
 
Back
Top