Should I upgrade?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if you guys can help me justify upgrading from the rig in my sig to an e6600, 8800gtx, evga 680i mobo, 2gb ddr800 memory. If i got the system and I was able to overclock the cpu to like 3.2-3.4ghz and the vid card, then I think I could get about double the performance boost from my rig right now. I was thinking about doing the preferred account and do the no payments for 6 months thing though newegg and try to pay it off within 6 months from christmas money, birthday money, selling off my current rig, etc. What do you guys think?

I cant recommend using credit to buy a PC but I understand the compulsion :)
I say save and wait as long as you can.

I've had so many times when I've needed cash for an emergency and luckily I wasnt in hock at the time so could afford to borrow.
If you must take credit, make the debt smaller by saving until your PC is not cutting it any more.

going by my standards of playing pc games, its on the verge of getting slow. By slow I mean not being able to play the current new games and the future games coming out at the native resolution on my monitor, 1680x1050, with 4xaa and 16xaf. I have to lower the res on bf 2142 to 1280x1024 to keep the fps higher. Splinter Cell double agent, i have to turn off soft shadows and lower some of the settings for it to run good, but it doesn't run as smooth as bf2. It would take me too long to save up that kind of cash because getting money throughout the year only comes at certain times. Being a college student and on top of that in pharmacy school, it would be ungodly hard to go to school and work at the same time. The only time I could possible work is on the weekends and that is too hard also because i'm always haveing to go somewhere on the weekends. I'm pretty confident i can get it paid off in six months from what I said above. If not, I would probably have all but maybe a few hundred at the most left to pay off when the 6 months came around. I do random jobs for family members too which would help as well. If i waited to save up that kind of cash, they would already have come out with something new that would probably cost even more money. Just look at the mobos now. My current mobo cost me somewhere in the 120-130 range or something I can't remember. The mobos the came out are now costing $300. Things just keep getting more expensive.

lol, I'm not the banker :)
Do as you will, I offered a modicum of common sense in case it applies ;)

no i wouldnt... not until a game comes out that you cant play at a decent setting. Unless having everything on max is all your worried about (ie all you do is game) id pass it and wait for prices to drop or something new to drop.

If you want to buy, buy. But it's not smart. Going into debt just so you can play games at the 'best' resolution? I can think of better ways to spend my money. :rolleyes: Save, then buy a system. With the same money you will have a better system, and you will not go into debt doing it.

defcom_1 said:
...Going into debt just so you can play games at the 'best' resolution? I can think of better ways to spend my money.
QFT. Credit card debt in college sucks. If you must play at native res, then a single 8800 GTS in your rig should do just fine. Mucho less dinero that way.

Back