• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I upgrade?

General Crespin

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
3,260
Specs (new computer, a few weeks old):
Athlon64 X2 4400+
2GB RAM (Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2)
XFX GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256MB
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Altec Lansing ADA 995 (5.1) (specs)

The sound card and the speaker setup are both carry-overs from my old Dell, both are from the September of either 2001 or 2002.

They seem to be performing nicely enough, but I'm wondering if it would be worth getting a new sound card and 5.1 setup? Most of my games support surround sound, and I watch a lot of DVDs too.

I'm not an expert in audio so I don't know how fast this stuff goes out of date or how good my speakers are (Santa Cruz is a good card). :)

Thanks for any opinions!
 
I have the money. A job plus no living expenses is a good thing. :)

Still, I don't want to go overboard. ;) How much might I be looking at for upgrading sound card and/or speakers?
 
The X-FI EM is about 120, and if you get the top of the line Logitech system your looking at another 300.
 
The X-fi is a good idea. I used an AWE32 until I couldn't find a mobo that supported ISA anymore, Creative Soundcards are the best for general use, yeah, get rid of that turtle beach BS.

As for speakers, get a decent receiver are this:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544999366?v_c=Google

I recently bought it for my gf for her bedroom, and she loves it, honestly, so do I, it comes close to my Prelude MTS system, at least at low to mid volume levels, best bargain on the market.
 
Well, here goes. I ordered an X-Fi Xtreme Music. If X-RAM becomes a big deal I'll just upgrade.

Here's to hoping I don't enter Creative hell. :p

Speakers probably at the end of next month.
 
Back
Top