Should I upgrade to x1950pro AGP right now?

Shivers

n00b
Hi

I am considering upgrading to the Sapphire X1950 Pro 512mb AGP card and am currently usin a X800 XT PE which is struggling in alot of new games like oblivion. I don't have the money to buy a new PCI-e system atm so I am wondering if I will see much improvement from my new card and if it is worth the purchase with a view to upgrading to PCI-e later in the year. The rest of my rig specs are below:-

Athlon 64 3400 @ stock 2.4ghz
MSI K8N Mobo x8 AGP
1GB Corsair XL DDR400
Ati X800 XT PE AGP

Thanks in advance for any help.

It should be a nice improvement. Although I'd try and wait to do the whole upgrade.
But I think it will take a year for DX10 to really get off the ground. Crysis is a 3rd quarter 2007 game now. :rolleyes:

If you are looking for improved framerates, you will not see what you think. Especially if you are looking to improve visual quality. You won't get both with this card. I have it, and like it very much. Although my x800xt pe was a very good card, it will be an either or situation with the x1950 pro.

not sure what you mean? surely I will some fps increase would I not? What difference would you say you experienced in your upgrade from the x800xt pe to the x1950 pro?

What I mean to say is for example Medievel Total War 2. With my x800xtpe I was averaging around 30- 40 fps. That's with everything on medium. So say I crank everything to high I am averaging about the same fps. This won't hold true to all games. the x800 xt pe is a very good card and can hold it's own against today's cards. Where it's lacking is the newer technology Sm3.0, Hdr. i believe for me it was a good upgrade overall. Just don't expect it to be a huge upgrade from the x800 xtpe. I kind of look at it as a newer version of the same card. If that makes sense.?

It's not a *huge* upgrade but it's a solid 1 generation jump in tech. I think your P4 probably is holding yours back a little. :(

I know eventually I will have to upgrade. This card gives me what I want and that is improved image quality with maybe a few frames more per second. Overall I am happy with my card. It will give me time to watch direct x10, and quad core CPUs play it self out.

Back