Should I upgrade the video card on my old rig?

CrazyJ

Gawd
So here is the old rig:

AMD64 2800+ 1.8ghz
512mb ram
Powercolor 9800SE 128mb

Used mainly by my brother and he uses it for TF2 (I know, but he doesnt have money to upgrade yet) on low settings.

Should he bother upgading his card to a 6600gt or will the CPU and RAM be too limiting?

What's your budget? Go with a 7600GT AGP card it should be a nice upgrade from that 9800 card. I would also boost that RAM to at least 1gb also.

I am buying the 6600gt used off a friend. At this point I would not have him bother buying a new card and instead save it for a new computer.

My main concern is will I notice a significant improvement considering his ram and CPU

I am buying the 6600gt used off a friend. At this point I would not have him bother buying a new card and instead save it for a new computer.

My main concern is will I notice a significant improvement considering his ram and CPU

Since its from a friend, ask him if you could try it out first. Try it, and if you like the improvement, pay the man. Otherwise, give his card back and say thanks, lol.

The 6600GT will be fine with that setup you have now. It will show a bit more improvement over the 9800SE you have. But yah, good idea what enginurd mentioned, try it out first if it does make a difference before buying it.

Try to OC the processor a little (at least). The 6600GT has 2x the pipes and way faster memory, so you should see a good improvement (if your ram is not limiting you).

Back