• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Should I upgrade or build new?

ion711

n00b
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
10
I'm debating whether or not to build a new computer or just upgrade my current one and hold off for a while.

I'm not a serious gamer but I do like to pick one up every once in a while and make it look good while playing. In the next number of months Neverwinter Nights 2, the next Warhammer 40k expansion, and Supreme Commander are on my to get list, though I'd probably pick of F.E.A.R and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion as well.

The specifics of my current rig:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Biostar M7NCD Pro Motherboard
1 gig of ram (I can't remember the specifics but it was fairly cheap)
GeForce4 TI 4600 (Bought it when it came out and it's survived a couple of computers now)

It's holding up pretty well for me so far, but it's beginning to show its age.

My specific questions is this:

Would I be able to get descent graphics quality in, say, Oblivion if I upgraded to a top of the line AGP card? If memory serves nVidia just relased the 7800GS AGP. Adding a second gig of ram would probably go into the upgrade as well.

Or would I be better off building a new computer at this point? The E6600 does look attractive, though Intel pissed me off a number of years ago and I've been with AMD ever since and their prices are dropping.

I'd also need to switch out the power supply but that's a matter completely caused by my buying a cheep one that's in the dying stage.

I welcome any ideas or comments.

Thanks.
 
I say stick it out a few months, save some cash, and build new. Conroe and AM2 will be out and you'll get more for your money by upping to a new platform.
 
I think from a short term perspective, a quick upgrade now would satisfy you for a bit. However, I wouldn't think the rig would last long if you stay on your current platform. If you were on 939 or something, then yeah, go for an upgrade or something.

However, you're back on socket A with AGP. AM2 would offer you K8L later and PCI-E with it's DX10 cards and such.

Also, the 7800GS is wayyy too overpriced for it's performance. I don't think it's worth upgrading your current system based on that alone.

I like to think of a lot of things in a price v. performance standpoint and longevity.

Sooo...save money and upgrade in a month. :)

 
Thanks for your thoughts.

Building new is probably the path to take. Money's not a huge issue, just didn't want to go all the way if I didn't to.

I'll see how things look in another month or so.
 
ion711 said:
Thanks for your thoughts.

Building new is probably the path to take. Money's not a huge issue, just didn't want to go all the way if I didn't to.

I'll see how things look in another month or so.

I'm basically sitting in the same spot as you, only with a 2100+ instead, and I'm holding out until I can afford an entirely new system (as money is a huge issue with me), especially with what's just around the corner.
 
Back
Top