Should I upgrade my 7950GX2 to a 8800GTS (G92)

m1abram

2[H]4U
I am trying to decide if I should upgrade my 7950GX2 to an 8800GTS (G92), I currently have issues playing some of the newer games at native res for my monitor (1920x1200).
Current system spec:
Athlon 6000+
2GB RAM

Games like UT3 and Crysis demos did not run well at all. I think big part of the problem was the demo and nvidia drivers did not support SLI. Is that fixed for the demos? Cause I do not want to buy those games yet until I know I can run them at some decent level. NOT asking for 60FPS and all the graphics on very high, just something playable that makes the game look just a bit better than far cry. I played the Crysis demo through but to get 25fps I had to crank the res down a lot(I think I was at 1440x900 or something close to that) and ran settings at low-med, it played but the graphics were not all that great.

So should I wait a bit longer or jump on the new 8800GTS?

8800 series should be fine. Even an 8800gts 320mb would be a good increase over what you already have.

Crysis has a patch coming or already out to fix SLI.
Don't know about UT3.

As for the rest of your question...
How much money are you wanting to spend and does your mobo support 2 card SLI?

Early Q1 the 3870 X2 cards are supposed to be released and Nvidia's next generation of cards are alse due.

So, unless you just have to have a new card, I'd wait a month or two.

We'll see the new cards and price drops on the 38xx's and the 8800gt and gts that all just came out. Plus, it'll give time to get the distribution of the cards corrected so you can actually buy one from your vendor of choice instead of just whoever has one.

my 0.02

I ran the UT3 demo fine on my current setup in my sig. Cyrsis on the other hand I had to run on low. also SLI does work in crysis with my 7800's well only 10fps worth lol.

I ran the UT3 demo fine on my current setup in my sig. Cyrsis on the other hand I had to run on low. also SLI does work in crysis with my 7800's well only 10fps worth lol.

At what res. did you run UT3?

My MB is the ASUS m2n32-sli

So I can SLI, my PSU is the Seasonic S12-600 so it should be ok also.

I am thinking I will try to hold the buy bug off 1-2 months. Really wish UT3 ran well though, tried all the tweaks but even at a lower rez my mouse movement is really lagging.

I ordered a 8800gts g92 last night from newegg to replace my 7950gx2(and also to step up in Feb hopefully)
I used the 7950GX2 mainly to play in triplehead resolutions(3840x1024)
I noticed that it did ok with Bioshock with medium settings,then I got Crysis and COD4,while Crysis looked and played decently at low settings.COD4 chugged badly.
I'm hoping that the GTS(G92) will improve on these games signifigantly,and then look forward to February.

So, anybody that has replaced a 7950GX2 interested in selling it - cheap????;):D

Back