Should I Upgrade??? Here's your answer.....

ok just so everyone knows, HardOCP stands for Overclockers Comparison Page, or thats what it originally was. Its good to see people not being as zeolotish as they were in the past, compatition = good.
 
Originally posted by Bomber
The socket: probably not. What will make the difference is going to be BTX format. Heat from CPU will be exhausted out of case by HSF. That will lower case temp, lowering CPU temp.
don't hold your breath, i'm guessing it will take until 2006 for BTX to affect the enthusiests, it will probably just be OEM's at first.
 
Originally posted by Bomber
The socket: probably not. What will make the difference is going to be BTX format. Heat from CPU will be exhausted out of case by HSF. That will lower case temp, lowering CPU temp.


no no, the socket actually will, Intel said so themselves at the last IDF in September. The extra voltage lines or whatever will help lower the TDP.
 
Originally posted by mlbstar10
don't hold your breath, i'm guessing it will take until 2006 for BTX to affect the enthusiests, it will probably just be OEM's at first.

For sure, that makes a hell of a lot more sense then EVERYTHING just switching over all at once. :rolleyes:

no no, the socket actually will, Intel said so themselves at the last IDF in September. The extra voltage lines or whatever will help lower the TDP.

I can only hope that it helps in one way shape or form.....or at least makes it safe to be running an OC'ed P4E. ;)

well said mr comelious.

Thx, you also join a very small group of people on these forums who have actually spelled my name correctly. :D
 
Originally posted by Bloefield
AH786 said

cornelious0_0 said

LOL:D :D :D
My wife is asking me what's so funny?

OMG!!!!

I think me SLIGHTLY too tired to be doing this. :rolleyes: :D

At least I gave you a good laugh.....and added a little bit of humor to this thread. ;)
 
This thread is frickin long so I couldn't read all of it (I stopped when the fanboy comments started) but anyway, I wanted to ask, does the Alderwood and whatever its varient it only support DDR2? I was under that impression and when I saw how much DDR2 costs now, it crumbled my thoughts on upgrading then and not now. According to a post on anandtech, 512MB of DDR2 costs $915 right now. I am sure that will probably halve by July but that is still really expensive.
 
Originally posted by Staples
This thread is frickin long so I couldn't read all of it (I stopped when the fanboy comments started) but anyway, I wanted to ask, does the Alderwood and whatever its varient it only support DDR2? I was under that impression and when I saw how much DDR2 costs now, it crumbled my thoughts on upgrading then and not now. According to a post on anandtech, 512MB of DDR2 costs $915 right now. I am sure that will probably halve by July but that is still really expensive.

It's near to impossible to say how things'll be going but I'd assume that we won't be stuck to JUST DDR2. Seeing as a lot of boards on the way "out the door" are going to have support for PCI Express and AGP, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few "transitional" boards that give us DDR/DDR2 support.....just like when DDR first hit the shelves and there were mobos available at the time that could take either SD or DDR.

Again, impossible to say, but also to early to make any rash calls or decisions so lets just sit tight. ;)
 
unless you have the dough to blow.. NOW is the worst time to invest in a new cpu+mobo+ram combo..

my reasons as always.. let things mature and go through a few revisions so you can grab a processor that lasts you a bit longer and you can squeeze more performance from it.. I was abt to get a C class proc in dec/jan but then thought I should wait for prescott, now I even have a motherboard for it but I would just jump on the Whoever is fastest wagon as soon as things are more stable, have most all the features promised and run cooler..

did not spend on A64 because I do not need it, not this year!

If you have the dough to blow more power to you, but if you have the brains to use the dough you have to blow, then you are an intelligent buyer.
 
Originally posted by KickAssCop
unless you have the dough to blow.. NOW is the worst time to invest in a new cpu+mobo+ram combo..

my reasons as always.. let things mature and go through a few revisions so you can grab a processor that lasts you a bit longer and you can squeeze more performance from it.. I was abt to get a C class proc in dec/jan but then thought I should wait for prescott, now I even have a motherboard for it but I would just jump on the Whoever is fastest wagon as soon as things are more stable, have most all the features promised and run cooler..

did not spend on A64 because I do not need it, not this year!

If you have the dough to blow more power to you, but if you have the brains to use the dough you have to blow, then you are an intelligent buyer.

It's not necessarily all about brains and being an "intelligent buyer" all the time. It's far from a bad move to jump on a Canterwood system right now, with prices the way they are, it's just slightly more practicle to stick it out for a couple months. This however brings up the old school of thought of "If you keep waiting for newer technology you'll never buy anything". Someone might be in dire need of an upgrade (computer fried etc.....) and may not be ABLE to wait another couple months. In a case like that they WOULD be weighing the current pros and cons to todays options.....'cus anything else is just too far away.

Someone in the position like yourself is a completely different story, and you points are then valid. If you've already got an overclocked system like yours there really isn't any sense in upgrading NOW with all these fun new toys coming along. Sure you could, but you're not in the spot where all your games are running like crap, comp doesn't work, etc..........

You can't just make one general statement about something like this and have it apply to everyone out there, because there are far to many variables and situations that you are not aware of.

I agree with you that anyone with a half-ass-decent system right now is blowing their cash to rush out and build ANOTHER system, 'cus with all this stuff coming out.....we CAN wait. However, their are people in completely opposite situations where waiting isn't an option and then they WILL be looking at buying today.

Hope I was able to straighten things out a bit. Play nice you guys. ;) :D
 
Originally posted by cornelious0_0
It's not necessarily all about brains and being an "intelligent buyer" all the time. It's far from a bad move to jump on a Canterwood system right now, with prices the way they are, it's just slightly more practicle to stick it out for a couple months. This however brings up the old school of thought of "If you keep waiting for newer technology you'll never buy anything". Someone might be in dire need of an upgrade (computer fried etc.....) and may not be ABLE to wait another couple months. In a case like that they WOULD be weighing the current pros and cons to todays options.....'cus anything else is just too far away.

dude I was not talking about someone who just had a computer fried, I was talking about someone who has a decent enough computer to play games and do the work that he needs to do, a few more seconds in photoshop or 3ds max rendering wont kill the dude either.. now if someone had a computer fried and is most likely to have withdrawls after 2 or 3 days (like me) then he should weight anything and everything in front of him and make the purchase and pronto. :p

Someone in the position like yourself is a completely different story, and you points are then valid. If you've already got an overclocked system like yours there really isn't any sense in upgrading NOW with all these fun new toys coming along. Sure you could, but you're not in the spot where all your games are running like crap, comp doesn't work, etc..........

Ditto, but I see people upgrading from say 2.8C overclocked to 3.2C for example and getting a barton a64 3000+.. now that makes me think abt intelligent buyer all over again :rolleyes:

You can't just make one general statement about something like this and have it apply to everyone out there, because there are far to many variables and situations that you are not aware of.

I will take that I did not convey my meaning good enough, my general statement only referred to people who had the means like me to purchase top of the line system and have a decent system like me (heck even better systems than me) but would still shell the dough right now to get an upgrade.. for me that makes no sense.. and again its only IMO, not a fact engraved in stone

I agree with you that anyone with a half-ass-decent system right now is blowing their cash to rush out and build ANOTHER system, 'cus with all this stuff coming out.....we CAN wait. However, their are people in completely opposite situations where waiting isn't an option and then they WILL be looking at buying today.

where waiting isnt an option go ahead buy it, it would make an INTELLIGENT decision IMO

Hope I was able to straighten things out a bit. Play nice you guys. ;) :D

and I hope that now, thanks to you, I have made my point across too
 
Back
Top