Should I upgrade from my x99 deluxe 1

akhoundog

n00b
I built my pc right after 5960x release with a x99 deluxe ver. 1.

I was one of the lucky few who had the cpu go up in smoke either due do early firmware or mobo hardware. I've been on the replacement x99 D with modern firmware since then. From a longevity standpoint is it worth upgrading my board? I havent stayed in the loop since then. Im happy with the performance I just have lingering concern for it happening again, i want to keep this build a while! Suggestions or is this a non issue now. Thanks.

X99d ver 1
[email protected] (i got a good oc'r tho)
32gigs of gskill ripjaw
Titan x x2

Upgrade to what? X99 is the latest enthusiast Intel chipset. Wouldn't be an "upgrade" (unless you need some new specific ports/connectors). And I wouldn't base longevity on one faulty motherboard BIOS (that is now fixed anyway), however I am not a fan of Asus motherboard quality for over a decade now. They have always had issues with USB, IDE and SATA drives not working even before those X99 Deluxe's started blowing up. Like back in Core2 days if I OC'd the FSB past a certain threshold it wouldn't recognize my drives, that didn't happen with other boards with the same chipset. Another thing is Asus boards have the negative side of capacitors/other components opposite to all other manufacturers, a real pain in the ass if you've ever repaired a motherboard. Although when Asus boards die they usually can't be repaired, they're just dead and will stay that way. So personally I don't like Asus at all, if I were you I would not have bought that brand in the first place.

But I guess it comes down to, do you want to take my opinion or do you wanna go by the majority who will tell you Asus is "one of the best" manufacturers without really stating why they think so (or how many other brands motherboards they've used)? Asus does a lot of marketing, more than other brands. In my opinion the more marketing a company has to do to sell their products - the worse they are. They have to get the money for those ads, review samples, youtube and TV appearances and sponsorships from somewhere, while still staying competitive - that money comes from the quality of your motherboard components.

So here's my $0.02 biased opinion against Asus :D
Take it for what it's worth, but consider that I have had dozens upon dozens of motherboards in my hands and the only manufacturer that has warranted my boycott so far is Asus.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
Back