• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I upgrade Antec 350

Walman

n00b
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12
I just built an new PC powered by an Antec 350 (it came with the Antec 3700AMB case) with the following specs:
AMD64 3000+
ECS KN1 Extreme motherboard
1 GB Kingmax Ram
WD 250 GB SATA hard drive
Leadtek nvidia 6600 video card
Liteon DVD-RW 16X
Liteon DVD
Floppy
USB mouse and Keyboard
1 case fans, 2 fans built onto the motherboard

The pc seems to be running fine, but after reading some of the posts here, it seems I may be a little short on power. Also the mb has a 24 pin ATX while the PSU is only 20. Is it worth upgrading? I don't in tend to OC, but I'll probably add another 120 mm case fan and maybe another HD. I'm considering the following Fortron 350, 400 or the Enermax 425, all ATX 2.0, any thoughts?
 
If it was me I would simply because running that 20pin in the 24pin connection has been problematic for a lot of people. If you planb to addd anything as you seem to I would recommend it.

Edit: of the three.......for me probably the Fortron's but it depends on the price point. What is your price point?
 
i'm in a similiar situation..

i want to overclock ... but as soon has i try and go past 219fsb the think locks up.


would upgrading from my 20 pin enermax 430 to a 24 pin 500+ power supply solve the lack of overclock/stability?


(see sig for specs)
 
lazarus0 said:
i'm in a similiar situation..

i want to overclock ... but as soon has i try and go past 219fsb the think locks up.


would upgrading from my 20 pin enermax 430 to a 24 pin 500+ power supply solve the lack of overclock/stability?


(see sig for specs)


Well it is going to depend on the 24pin supply you get. Some 24pin 500W supplies are pretty crappy. That being said...........in general a new PSU is pretty much a must. CHeck the before making thread and see what you like then we can go from there. ATX2.0 are what you are going to really want for forward thinking.
 
My price point is under $100, each of the 3 I'm considering are between 70 and 80 bucks at newegg.com.
 
lazarus0 said:
i'm in a similiar situation..

i want to overclock ... but as soon has i try and go past 219fsb the think locks up.


would upgrading from my 20 pin enermax 430 to a 24 pin 500+ power supply solve the lack of overclock/stability?


(see sig for specs)

doubt it, but everything is a possibility... have you tried changing the HTT multi to 2x instead of 3x/4x/5x?
 
ScHpAnKy said:
doubt it, but everything is a possibility... have you tried changing the HTT multi to 2x instead of 3x/4x/5x?

yes... i dropped the HTT and upped the volt for the cpu and the memory


still it's a like a brick wall at 219


my 2500+ barton overclocks higher than this 3000+ winnie :mad:
 
Walman said:
My price point is under $100, each of the 3 I'm considering are between 70 and 80 bucks at newegg.com.

Well the only one I would add then to your list is the blue storm then.
 
Walman said:
Spectre -- by blue storm do you mean this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0

The specs seem output, in terms of amps, similar to the 400w Fortron.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-935&depa=0

Is there a major difference? I assume I could hook up more stuff to the larger psu.

Specwise not a lot of difference(FSP site lists both as Blue Storm's but people generally refer to the 500w as the Blue storm) I think about all of another amp on one 12v. In practice I have used blue storm's and know others who have along with that being the one I have read reviews about. The 400w is in the same series so I would say it should do fine.
 
Back
Top