should I try something different?

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
Right now I am running windows 7 64 bit on my main pc/server with 5x3TB drives, 6x2TB drives, a 240GB SSD for booting, 2x1.5TB esata drives and 2x2TB usb3 drives. System has 24GB ddr3, a 3570k running at 4.4, and an XFX DD 7950. Currently I have about 17TB of stuff on the drives now that I cleaned out about 5TB of duplicate and unneeded files. I also have a 4TB LG NAS that I backup more important data to.
All drives are NTFS and I serve to 7 or 8 computers over gigabit.

Should I look into switching into another filesystem? Another OS?
what suggestions do people have? what would the benefits be?
I've considered splitting it into a separate gaming rig and server, but I'm not sure I want to.

Is any of the data not on the NAS important?
What kind of cards are you using to hook up all the drives?

The reason(s) to consider splitting it off are;

- avoiding a single point of failure. sounds like if your gaming desktop took a dive, you might lose access to your data for the interim.
- your chassis is running out of space for more disks and you need more capacity
- you don't want to run power hungry cpu/gpu's 24/7
- avoiding data corruption due to overclock/crashes etc. sharing disks over the network, your cpu generally doesn't need to be overclocked.
- organization ;less cables outside of the case / less reliance on cheap power bricks for your external drives.
- if you're interested in have one big pool (a large single volume) that spans all your data instead of many drive letters

Back