• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should i trust this TT psu?

Lawler

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
120
Hey,

I'm currently in the market for a new psu [bday this week] and i really need to buy a stable psu. I've been looking around for quite a while and I have come across the Thermaltake 680watt one. I've also looked at the OCZ powerstream 520watt, Enermax noisetaker 600w, and the PCP&C 510watt deluxe. Also, is the 600w powerstream better than the 520 because i think i read somewhere about them being recalled and they are not on newegg if i can remember correctly, although im not sure if i can find the 600w edition for about 180.

Basically im looking for a new powersupply under ~180USD, and im also wondering if the thermaltake psu is stable and/or wont live up to its rated specs. I would like to buy from somewhere closer to where i live, preferably not newegg although im not biased against newegg its just that i live across the country from them and i dont feel like waiting that long for it to come. I prefer xoxide because they are in Philly. here are the links to the four previously mentioned psus:
Powerstream 600w
Powerstream 520w
510 Turbo-Cool Deluxe
600w Noisetaker
Purepower 680w

Thank you for your suggestions and help
-Lawler

P.S. My specs are: AMD A64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat., 1gb pc4000 kingston hyperx, soundbaster audigy ls, ati radeon 9600pro [gag], 2 cd drives, and an 120gb samsung hd.
 
heh Xoxide is about 15 mins from my house though i still prefer newegg for no PA sales tax :eek:.

Not having any experience with any of those brands I'd go PCP&C 510watt deluxe just on name alone.
 
I was thinking of going with the 510 deluxe but i dont think it is atxv2.0 or what ever the new standard is and i would prefer to get something in the new standard. heh i live in RI so xoxide is closer than newegg = no taxes + shorter wait times!

-lawler
 
any suggestions? i plan to make a purchase tomorrow or monday.

bump
 
the 510 deluxe isnt a specific standard because its anything you want. Call them up, but I reccomend the 510 SLI; 24pin connector, SLI connectors, 6 SATA connectors, shitload of molexes/ HAnds down the best psu on that list. You will NEVER go back if you get one. Trust me.
 
Thermaltake doesn't manufacture PSU's at all. The rebranded TT's I've bought were loud, underpowered and essentially small space heaters. Get one of the other brands without question.
 
BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Thermaltake doesn't manufacture PSU's at all. The rebranded TT's I've bought were loud, underpowered and essentially small space heaters. Get one of the other brands without question.

How long ago was that? They have some very nice units these days, whether they fab them themselves or have them made by some other OEM. I have a 480 watt from them that runs very cool and quiet, with very clean and stable power output.
 
BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Thermaltake doesn't manufacture PSU's at all. The rebranded TT's I've bought were loud, underpowered and essentially small space heaters. Get one of the other brands without question.
My friend's 'Silent" Purepower 420W was really noisy. Ran hot too. A lot of their models have the same 18A on the +12V rail, even the high-end 480W units. 18A isn't all that much.
 
Yea i also had trouble with TT's 420 watt psu, thing fried on me... 20 pin connector had like 4 pins explode... lol i was only asking about the 680watt TT because i wanted to know if it was exceptionally good / a steal compared to all the other psus on the list because of its numerous 12v lines and ton of connectors. I know the PCP&C one is probably better than the enermax one but the PCP&C one isnt the sli edition and i dont want to buy a new psu that im going to have to discard at my next update. So... i guess im gonna go with the Enermax because it has a ton of power and it has the v2.0 stuff, unless someone can sway me to another psu :D.

-Lawler
 
I was just looking on newegg and i realized they had Zippy psu's. How much better is this psu compared to say the TT, Enermax, and PCP&C?

Zippy 600w

Thank you for any input.
-Lawler
 
Lawler said:
Yea i also had trouble with TT's 420 watt psu, thing fried on me... 20 pin connector had like 4 pins explode... lol i was only asking about the 680watt TT because i wanted to know if it was exceptionally good / a steal compared to all the other psus on the list because of its numerous 12v lines and ton of connectors. I know the PCP&C one is probably better than the enermax one but the PCP&C one isnt the sli edition and i dont want to buy a new psu that im going to have to discard at my next update. So... i guess im gonna go with the Enermax because it has a ton of power and it has the v2.0 stuff, unless someone can sway me to another psu :D.

-Lawler

I"'m not sure if you got what I was saying:

If you want longevity, the pcp&c WILL last longer than all those other ones. It DOES have v2.0 stock (moreso than some of the others in fact), and not only that, if another spec comes out in 5 years, they will take back you're psu and upgrade it to the new spec for only $50.

I had an original 510 deluxe. Recently, the v2.0 came out and so did SLI. They took my psu back and made it into v2.0 and SLI for $50 total.

If you buy their SLI psu, it comes with everything you're looking for stock and will last the longest.
 
BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Thermaltake doesn't manufacture PSU's at all. The rebranded TT's I've bought were loud, underpowered and essentially small space heaters. Get one of the other brands without question.
Mine is near silent when I turn the fans down, and has has yet to get hot. It actually cooled my case down after I bought it.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
Mine is near silent when I turn the fans down, and has has yet to get hot. It actually cooled my case down after I bought it.

Yeah I like mine so far. I guess it's one of those YMMV things...
 
I got a feeling that this forum has a resentment towards Thermaltake because a few people has some random bad luck.
 
I had the Loud Weakpower 480 from TT. It was a piece of junk any way you slice it. Unstable voltages, crappy construction, cheesy orange fans that have to spin hard out just to keep the temperature inside the PSU at reasonable levels, not to mention that in doing that it heats up an entire air conditioned room pretty damn fast under minimal load. TT PSU's are not a good value unless you're buying one for a P 2 system that draws like 20W because when those fans kick up it gets noisy and hot.
 
I was just looking on newegg and i realized they had Zippy psu's. How much better is this psu compared to say the TT, Enermax, and PCP&C?

Zippy is very good and they make the PSU's for PCP&C. Though they do not have the 5 year warranty the PCP&C has they come with a 3 year warranty.

A quick comparison

Zippy 600watt $184.50 at newegg.com
30 amps on 3.3v rail
30 amps on 5v rail
dual 12v rails with a total of 46 amps

PCP&C 510watt turbo cool $184.99 at xoxide.com
30 amps on 3.3v rail
40 amps on 5v rail
34 amps on 13v rail

Both PSU's are quite comparable with some slight differences. I also believe the Zippy is v2.0 compliant not to mention it comes with a 24 pin connector. Hope this helps.
 
I've never heard of a ThermalTake psu dying outside this forum. Mine is great, runs extremly quiet and cool, and has very stable voltages.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
I've never heard of a ThermalTake psu dying outside this forum. Mine is great, runs extremly quiet and cool, and has very stable voltages.

This forum seems to have an irrational dislike for most ThermalTake products. Lots of followers here...they see one guy post "Thermaltake sux0rs" and they follow like lemmings :) Not everyone mind you, but many. It's called being a conformist.
 
^ my tt 420w deep fried when i frequented the tomshardware.com forums... so its not like some deadly TT plague that only goes around in this forum :D.

i would jump on either the zippy or pcp&c psus if my mom would let me :( and i wish that xoxide had zippy psus because its closer to me than newegg. I know frozencpu.com is pretty close to where i live [ny... and i live in ri] but their prices are much more than i would pay [200 for the noisetaker 600w when xoxide has it for 170 :eek: ] Does anyone know some northeastern suppliers that have reasonable prices because i would like to get it relatively soon, although i would still order from newegg if i see that they do have a good deal.

Also, which is the better deal, the 510 deluxe or 600w from zippy. They are priced the same atm but the zippy has a 90watt difference than the pcp&c. Also is the 40 amps on the 5v rail and the 34 amps on the 12v rail for the pcp&c a better deal than the 30 amps on the 5v and the 46 on the 12v from the zippy psu? Also, what can i expect from the zippy in terms of its dual 12v rails and the pcp&c with its 1 rail. Isn't it better to have more 12v rails such as the tt psu having 3 and the enermax coolergiant 660w also has 3 12v rails. so why would pcp&c only have 1 rail? is their product that good that it doesnt need 2 or is having multiple 12v rails only for show/ has minimal impact on the actual performance/stability?

Edit:
This may seem like a stupid question, but in a price to performance ratio, which is the better deal? A PCP&C 510deluxe / 600w Zippy or a 520watt OCZ powerstream?

thanks
-Lawler
 
ThomasE66 said:
This forum seems to have an irrational dislike for most ThermalTake products. Lots of followers here...they see one guy post "Thermaltake sux0rs" and they follow like lemmings :) Not everyone mind you, but many. It's called being a conformist.
It does seem like that. Also seems like everyone has an extremly high opinion of Lan-Li, which I also don't share. I find it annoying that it seems like everyone jumps on the bandwagon of a few people's bad experiences instead of looking at a far wider selection of opinions.
 
I'm one of those people with several bad TT experiences, lets see how many there are. Someone should start a thread on it to see just how many people have had problems with it. I nominate the guy above me.
 
me me me!!! i think some TT products are very good [heatsinks especially] but their cases and powersupplies [at least the one i had... my friend has the same one 420w and his is perfectly stable... and hes running a bfg 6800ultra oc... just my luck :mad: ] are not very good... which i learned first hand.

back on topic with psus... xoxide had an auction on ebay for a 510 deluxe... i was going to buy it because its a lot cheaper than the one in their store but my mom wont because she says there will be another one tomorrow... too bad by the time its over [if there even is one...] it will be more expensive and wont get here intime for the weekend... guess im gonna have to shell out a premium for the psu, not my money anyway :D

heres the link if u really want it theres like 10 minutes left BID BID BID !!!!
EBAY!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a TT 480w Butterfly PSU that I ran for a little over a year and it had no flaws at all. That was on my old 1.4 T-Bird system.

I now have the 520w OCZ psu that I'm running in my current system and it has ran flawless for a little over 6 months now. No problems here.

I would also like to mention that my friends computer was unstable like heck. We would be playing games at night and his comp would always reboot or crash during intense gameplay. I sold him my TT PSU because he needed a stronger PSU anyways since he was going to add more hard drives. His computer hasn't crashed or rebooted without warning since.
 
I've had two TT PSU's and never had a problem. Both are still in boxen at home. I've used their CPU coolers to good effect. Most of their cases I don't like, but the Tsunami Dream is nice (a bit light, but don't let the haters fool you, it's not that easy to break, and the retractable feet help with stability since it's so light).

I'll bet you could name almost any manufacturer and find some people who have had bad experiences with it.

EDIT: I'm vendor/hardware/software agnostic. I use what works. I just happen to think that for some reason TT gets a really bad rap here.
 
ThomasE66 said:
This forum seems to have an irrational dislike for most ThermalTake products. Lots of followers here...they see one guy post "Thermaltake sux0rs" and they follow like lemmings :) Not everyone mind you, but many. It's called being a conformist.

I totally agree with you. They just start bashing a Tt product, looking for defects where there aren't any. IMO Tt makes some very nice products, if they didn't they wouldn't be that much recognized in the PC world. Just cuz you got a lemon doesn't mean all their products are the same.

BTW, I advice you check out the OCZ 520W ModStream PSU.
 
Originally Posted by ThomasE66
This forum seems to have an irrational dislike for most ThermalTake products. Lots of followers here...they see one guy post "Thermaltake sux0rs" and they follow like lemmings Not everyone mind you, but many. It's called being a conformist.
shadowbreaker513 said:
It does seem like that. Also seems like everyone has an extremly high opinion of Lan-Li, which I also don't share. I find it annoying that it seems like everyone jumps on the bandwagon of a few people's bad experiences instead of looking at a far wider selection of opinions.

Just so you see how true it is what you guys are saying, check out the posts in pages 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=854399&page=8&pp=20
 
Back
Top