Should I sell my ASUS N61JQ-X1 notebook pc and purchase a MacBook Pro?

kage

n00b
I bought the Asus N61JQ-X1 about 6 weeks ago and I'm considering to sell it and getting the newly refreshed MacBook Pro.

My Asus N61JQ-X1 has the following specs:
1. CPU: i7-720QM (1.6 GHz)
2. Memory: 4GB
3. GPU: 1GB ATI Radeon 5730
4. HDD: 320GB
5. Screen: 16" (1366x768)

The MacBook Pro has the following specs:
1. CPU: i7-620M (2.66 GHz)
2. Memory: 4GB
3. GPU: 512MB Nvidia Geforce 330M with Intel HD Graphics
4. HDD: 500GB
5. Screen: 15.4" (1440x900)

What are some of the advantages on the MacBook Pro when compared to my Asus and vice-versa? Do you think that I should just keep my Asus N61JQ-X1?

Might want to say what you will use the laptop for before someone can offer you a constructive response.

The i7-620m is also only a dual core, not sure what you'll be using the laptop for since you didn't list many details but that's just something to consider.

Overall the MBP is a much better unit, but it costs close to 2K for that model. If you want/or need to use Mac OS then go for it. If not there are better choices depending on what your needs are.

If you get the MBP, spend $100 for the 1680x1050 LCD. It's well worth the extra screen real estate.

[V]ad[H]atte(r);1035617781 said:
The i7-620m is also only a dual core, not sure what you'll be using the laptop for since you didn't list many details but that's just something to consider.

+1

I'd go for a quad core lappy any day. If you're going to put Windows on it anyway and If you don't need OS X, don't get a Mac. Plus, the video card in your laptop is much better.

I think that I will keep my Asus N61JQ-X1 until next year. There is one thing that I want to know, what makes the i7-720QM better than the i7-620M besides the quad core vs dual core debate, even though the 620M performs better than the 720QM in benchmarks?

Its actually 8 vs 4 "cores" (both have got hyper threading), i7-720 also has a bigger L2 cache.

Most programs are still more responsive to clockspeed rather than cores, so that is why the i7-620 will usually beat it on most apps. I'd keep that laptop for more than a year if I were you, other than running games at high res. there probably isn't much else that you'll run that can really stress it. Unless of course you've got enough cash coming to not care about the expense of blowing ~$1K a year on a new laptop. In which case splurge away.

The MacBook Pro is best if you want to use your notebook... well, as a notebook.

There's no escaping that the 15-inch MBP has a much, much longer battery life: 8 hours with the dedicated GPU on full time, 9 if you use dynamic graphics switching. It should also be thinner and lighter.

If I were in your spot, it'd depend entirely on usage habits. A dual-core i7 is faster than a quad in some areas, but if you're doing a lot of gaming or serious video work, the quad may still come out on top, at least some of the time. The Radeon HD 5730 is probably better for gaming as well, although it might be difficult to ever get a true side-by-side look at the GPUs in each.

On the flip side, the MBP will rule the roost if you need a notebook that can offer its full performance for a long time without having to be plugged in, or if you just want something that won't put as much strain on your back or your bag. I'm a news writer, so I can spend hours typing or shouldering my notebook without having a guaranteed wall outlet; the MBP is my ideal machine.

Back