Should I rma my 7900GT?

joemama

[H]F Junkie
I recieved my eVGA 7900GT KO Superclock last week and everything has been fine until last night. I ran 3DMark 06 the day I got it and it finished fine..decent score...installed AOE3 that came with the card and played a couple of hours no problem. Reinstalled NFSMW this past weekend and it looks great...good frames...reinstalled Oblivion and after playing with the settings I was happy...reinstalled BF2 and it runs better than ever...now my problem:

Last night I decided to run 3DMark 06 again and I got artifacting and a crash on the "deep freeze" test...dl'd 05 and it did the same on the water monster...03 wouldn't finish..HELL, EVEN 01 CRASHED MY COMP! :confused: I know that 3DMark is just a synthetic benchmark and my games are fine but does this spell future trouble?

my specs:
Asus A8n5X
Opteron [email protected]
eVGA 7900GT KO SC
2GB OCZ platinum pc3200

What are your idle/load temps? which drivers are you using? have you tried re installing them?

That does sound like the beginning of 7900 death. For some reason most people first notice problems during the 'deep freeze' test.

quadnad said:
That does sound like the beginning of 7900 death. For some reason most people first notice problems during the 'deep freeze' test.
Seems unlikely that it does something to physically damage the card....real games still run fine afterward. Btw..I'm using the WHQL official drivers and my highest recorded temp was 68c and it idles at 49c so I don't think it's that.

joemama said:
Seems unlikely that it does something to physically damage the card....real games still run fine afterward. Btw..I'm using the WHQL official drivers and my highest recorded temp was 68c and it idles at 49c so I don't think it's that.

Oh no, I don't mean that that test is what causes the damage, but if you read all the "oh no my 7900 died" it usually starts with then having run 3dmark06 and noticing it on deep freeze. then it gradually gets worse.

quadnad said:
Oh no, I don't mean that that test is what causes the damage, but if you read all the "oh no my 7900 died" it usually starts with then having run 3dmark06 and noticing it on deep freeze. then it gradually gets worse.

yeah.. my card is doing that same thing... except i have to restart after the test runs... RMA? probably.

quadnad said:

What exactly is the "deep freeze"?

aznbumbaclot said:
What exactly is the "deep freeze"?

its this test. its far from the most stressful test in 3dmark 06. it tests some cool shadows, and some HDR. thats about it.

i would create an account and keep up to date with the EVGA forums. give those people a ring-a-ling, and let them know of your troubles, theyll probably tell you "if the trouble persists, RMA it". but they're working pretty hard on finding a bios thatll fix the problem

and the problem im refering to is the one soooo many 7900 owners are having. Some say you can underclock the memory, that solves everything. some say its the power doohickey.... cant think of the word right now.... itl come to me in a sec..... anywho yea, using some thermal tape and sticking on a heatsink autta solve that problem, just jump on the EVGA 7900 problems page and start whining.

See if ForceWare 91.28 improves anything for you. It fixed many but not all of my problems - seems to have eliminated artifacting in Oblivion, and I can complete 3dmark05 okay and run at factory clocks again. I was using EVGA's latest drivers before and had to underclock my memory to get stable in 3d.

The curse of the deep freeze!!! I havn't had any problems with mine... it's one of those things with the higher clocked cards. I say RMA that puppy before it's too late.

Back