Should I risk it?

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I have a 9800 Pro right now. I am able to get a 6800gt for $100. Basically a free upgrade after I sell my card. It is the crappy Asus version which has the slower 700mhz memory, but it is still much better than my card and retails for $280 from Newegg.

I am buying it from a member here. It has a few problems though and I am wondering if I should risk it. The card artifacts badly in the Star Wars family of games. However, it works fine in Doom 3, HL2, and all 3dmark's. A radeon 9700 worked fine in the SW game.

He rma'ed the card and they sent it back to him. He told him it still didn't work, so they sent him a new card and let him keep the old one. He sold the new one and got a x800xl. He still has the old one which he is selling me. Meaning that RMA is out of the question.

I will only be playing BF2, HL2, mods, and Chaos Theory. I have to play on medium now. My monitor does 1280:1024. Would you risk doing the upgrade. What do you think the problem is? Thanks for the help.

if u have to ask should i risk it....i think u know the answer

can u afford the loss and say F it if it goes bad?

Maybe it was a problem with his motherboard/power supply/etc. If he lets you test the card out in your system before buying so you can determine all is well, it might be worth it. If not, then I personally would pass on it. Tell him if he rma's it again and gets a new one back, then you'll honor the deal he wants to make with you.

P3N1X[H] said:
if u have to ask should i risk it....i think u know the answer

can u afford the loss and say F it if it goes bad?

ditto.- you have to be willing to lose the money you spend on this one.

Lol, is he going to rma it again. I probably can't afford to lose it. However, it works fine in everything except for that one star wars game which I don't even have. How would it be a problem with the card if it works in Doom3 and hl2.

I wouldn't take his word for it that it works fine in everything BUT star wars games. Maybe the artifacts aren't noticeable in other games, but they still might be there. I would not buy a card that is KNOWN to artifact in one game unless I could personally use it and abuse it and make sure it really is okay. The card's already got strike one against it--I would not buy it unless I could personally use it first hand.

kpedge said:
ditto.- you have to be willing to lose the money you spend on this one.

QFT

Just understand, if you dont have a DOA agreement with the user, you are pretty much screwed if the card doesnt work on arrival.

Zero

It actually works in the SW game. Just a menu glitch really. It doesn't artifact in game. Here is what he said:

"Upon loading the initial splash screen, I would get serious artifacts, and long pauses. I could navigate through the menus from memory, and once the level was loading, all was mint."

He guaranteed me it would work perfectly in 3dmark 01/03/05, Doom 3, and HL2.

If the SW games is the ONLY game this card doesnt work on, I would think it is something with the game. It is not a horrible risk if the user agrees to let you try Doom 3 and HL2 before the sale is complete. Maybe if you are using paypal, you can pay half before you get the card, and the other half after you test the card. This way, the seller gets at least some money before shipping and you get to test the card before the sale is complete. Seems fair to me.

Zero

That might work. ^^^^^

It does the same thing in 2 other Star Wars games too actually. He said it has the issue with these 2 as well. SWBF and SWRC

get the guy to RMA it again saying it was the new one that went bad :p see if he gets a new one out of it? i know, bad karma... but it should have been fixed not replaced -_- asus being lazy -_-

The guy was honestly going to keep it as a spare AGP card. I offered him the deal. They already sent him a new card, I doubt they will do it again.

Blinkme323 said:
The guy was honestly going to keep it as a spare AGP card. I offered him the deal. They already sent him a new card, I doubt they will do it again.
Sure they will. If it's still under warranty, then they have to honor some kind of fix. Which is why I posted earlier that you could suggest him to do just that if you could not test the card in your system before paying (and you laughed at this... sorry if it seems silly, but I'm just trying to offer suggestions to minimize the risk factor for you).

Thanks for the help. I just got a few more pm's. He said he guarantees it will work in all those games. We are working on a 1/2 now 1/2 later deal. He had problems with SW lego and SW battlefront. Later drivers mention a fix for those games. He said he would test, but doesn't have an AGP system.

I am trusting him at this point. If he does th half now half later deal, I will do it I think. If it doesn't work, I guess I could try to rma it.

and if it doesnt work....and u already sent half the money. ur sure he will honor that and send u the cash back? or keep it, since its no loss to him with a dead card? then ur SOL and ur ONLY option is to RMA the card.....im wary about this, but do what ya feel...besides, karma always works out.

Back