Should I Return My Dell Studio XPS 435MT And Buy This?

kage

n00b
About two weeks ago I ordered the Dell Studio XPS 435MT and it might arrrive to my home this week (unlikely though, it is still processing since October 2), but now I'm considering to return it when it arrives, because I think that I found a better custom built desktop at avadirect.com.

Dell Studio XPS 435MT Specs:
1. Intel Core i7-920 processor
2. 6GB DDR3 SDRAM
3. ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
4. 500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
5. Blu-ray Drive
6. PSU 350W
Total Cost: $1151 with tax and shipping

Custom Built Desktop Specs:
1. COOLER MASTER, Sileo 500 Black Mid Tower Case
2. CORSAIR, CMPSU-650TX TX Series Power Supply, 650W
3. ASUS, P7P55D LE Motherboard
4. Intel i5-750 Quad-Core 2.66GHz
5. ZALMAN, CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler
6. KINGSTON, 8GB (4 x 2GB) ValueRAM PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz
7. Ati Radeon HD 4770 750MHz, 512MB (Sapphire Brand)
8. SEAGATE, 500GB Barracuda HD
9. LG DVD Burner
Total Cost: $1078.92 with shipping

Here is more information to help you out.
1. I really don't need a blu-ray drive, because I have an excellent standalone blu-ray player and that blu-ray drives are not a standard feature on desktop pcs.
2. I would like to go back into pc gaming, but with a good midrange videocard, but i will still buy an Xbox 360 for their exclusive games and games that are not for the pc.
3. I want a Intel cpu that runs cool and that is reasonable in power consumption.
4. My budget is under $1100 and maximum of $1150.

Last edited:
For that kind of money you should be getting the latest video card, not some low/mid range and last generation card.

Can we persuade you to build your own? You really are being taken for a ride with these prebuilts.

For that kind of money you should be getting the latest video card, not some low/mid range and last generation card.

Can we persuade you to build your own? You really are being taken for a ride with these prebuilts.
Since I have no time to build my own computer, I might get the parts at www.mwave.com and have them assemble the computer for me. Here are the latest specs:
1. COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1 Case
2. Intel i5-750 (will stick with stock heatsink/CPU fan and will be buying a better one next year)
3. ANTEC TP-650 650W Power Supply
4. ATI Radeon HD5850 1 GB (Sapphire Brand)
5. LG GH22NS50R DVD Burner
6. GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R Motherboard
7. CRUCIAL CT2KIT25664BA1339 4gb kit (2gb x 2)4GB Ram
8. Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
Total Cost: $1055.09 with assembly and shipping

Last edited:
mwave build looks good. Though, I don't think you get much support from mwave, right? Which is why its cheaper than AVA.

Make sure that HDD is the 7200.12 model.

Which model RAM is that?

mwave build looks good. Though, I don't think you get much support from mwave, right? Which is why its cheaper than AVA.

Make sure that HDD is the 7200.12 model.
The HDD is the the 7200.12. I fell happier with this purchase over the Dell Studio XPS 435MT.

what i hate about dell. they are chinchy on the video cards they offer and you "upgrade' the system with a better one it seems like you pay up the nose for it.

I really hope you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, I'd like to know how you came to such a presumptuous conclusion?

He has a point. Building a computer consists of setting a budget, researching parts, ordering them and having them put together. [H] can take care of the research and you can take your computer parts and have them put together (for a small fee of course) at your local computer store (for a fee). Even if you have a lack of time, building a PC still seems to be the better route over getting a worse deal on a prebuilt and having shoddy parts.

panta said for the OP to build it himself.

You mean you're afraid to? Time is not a valid excuse; you can put the thing together in 20 minutes if you read up on the procedure first.

... and the part about reading up on the procedure first also takes time. :rolleyes: :p

He has a point. Building a computer consists of setting a budget, researching parts, ordering them and having them put together. [H] can take care of the research and you can take your computer parts and have them put together (for a small fee of course) at your local computer store (for a fee). Even if you have a lack of time, building a PC still seems to be the better route over getting a worse deal on a prebuilt and having shoddy parts.

What you described is exactly what the OP intends to do. ;)

Since I have no time to build my own computer, I might get the parts at www.mwave.com and have them assemble the computer for me. ...

panta is suggesting to save the $80 build fee and assemble the system himself because he thinks it only takes 20 minutes to build a system, which he assumes the OP has the time to do. I guarantee you, mwave will spend more than 20 minutes building/testing/troubleshooting/installing drivers/sw onto the system -- not a bad deal for $80, especially for someone who doesn't have the time to build/test/troubleshoot/install drivers/sw themselves. I guarantee you, 20 minutes is not enough time to build a system for someone who's looking to buy a pre-built, simply to save time. :p

Back