Should I Repurchase a PG278Q or not?

phorkz

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Long story short i have a store credit here:(from a failed PG278Q)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=558_1213&vk_sort=4

I am awaiting GTA V on PC which is March end at this stage, and wonder should i just re-purchase the PG278Q, or change to a different monitor.

I really enjoyed the G-Sync capabilities, and it made gaming a whole lot smoother for me, which makes the decision harder, as i don't see any other G-Sync monitors on the site.

I currently have sig rig, but will soon sli 970's if the 8gb 980's do a no show.

I also have a Korean Catleap 2560x1440 IPS that only does 60hz. I use dual monitor setup just for browsing etc on the side screen.

Just looking for advice, thank you.

If I was in your situation then I'd play the waiting game just a little bit longer first. Acer is coming out with a 1440p 144hz and IPS monitor that's capable of g sync as well as ULMB supposely. Launching in march so I'd go for the 2 month wait and if nothing comes around then I'd rebuy a Swift.

If I was in your situation then I'd play the waiting game just a little bit longer first. Acer is coming out with a 1440p 144hz and IPS monitor that's capable of g sync as well as ULMB supposely. Launching in march so I'd go for the 2 month wait and if nothing comes around then I'd rebuy a Swift.

thank you.

Any link to the IPS monitor with G-sync?

Going to bump once for some more input if there is any. If not I think the waiting at this stage may be wise. Thank you guys who have already posted

I would of Bought a Swift but the problem is a lot of people are having problems so until the Reviews start coming in and saying it worked for more then two weeks. Which is what I'm kinda waiting for and a 24" version too if possible.

Yeah i think i may wait to see what the Acer XB270HU Brings, cheers guys

One question though, why do some sites say it's TN?

Last edited:
Yeah i think i may wait to see what the Acer XB270HU Brings, cheers guys

One question though, why do some sites say it's TN?

Acer is also releasing another 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor that IS an TN monitor and sounds almost exactly the same. XG270HU is that model so maybe you just got the two mixed up as literally the only thing that seperates the two is one letter.

Acer is also releasing another 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor that IS an TN monitor and sounds almost exactly the same. XG270HU is that model so maybe you just got the two mixed up as literally the only thing that seperates the two is one letter.

ah thanks dude

I believe this one is confirmed to have freesync at least. And no g sync makes it cheaper at $599, too bad OP is an nvidia user though.

It isn't confirmed to have Freesync but it's important to note that Freesync is basically very close to Adaptive Sync(the underlying tech behind both Freesync and G-Sync).

The monitor has DP 1.2a and AMD has stated that the same video cards that will work with Freesync will work with that monitor, too, giving the same thing.

So what's the difference? Basically, AMD can have a more standardized framework. When it comes to A-Sync in general, the manufacturer has more leeway. Still, PCPer.com managed to get out an answer which amounted to something like "it will work between 40 and 144 Hz", which is basically the same range as the ROG Swift.

As for G-sync in general, its future will be clouded in uncertainty. It all depends how well A-Sync pans out, but if there aren't any major differences, people won't pay 150-200 dollars extra for something that they can get free. Also, Pascal must support DP 1.3, which will have A-Sync in by default. So what then? Will Nvidia remove DP 1.3 by a conscious decision? That'll never happen.

To OP: You're kind of unfortunate in your timing. Right now only AMD supports the open-sourced tech that is the future. At the same time, you don't want to wait for potentially a full year before Pascal comes out(rumored Q1 2016). My answer largely depends on your budget and your patience. If you have lots of cash, get the G-Sync Acer monitor(but only after reviews from serious websites).

If you don't, and have patience, get a Freesync monitor now like the Asus MG one, play with a 120 Hz 1440p IPS panel for now, and use the Freesync alternative when Pascal comes out(if you'd locked in the Nvidia ecosystem by choice, which is not smart, but hey). Or you could get a new 300-series AMD card and get the Asus MG27, but that'll cost gobs of cash, but it's the most efficient route, since your next upgrade will not matter.

There isn't a simple answer to this, it largely depends on your priorities. I'd still go for the Acer IPS G-Sync monitor right now, since you seem to afford it, plus you get access to A-Sync that much faster. If it's on schedule, that is...

Also, Pascal must support DP 1.3, which will have A-Sync in by default.
This is incorrect. Adaptive sync is a purely optional part of DP1.3a. It is also purely optional for DP 1.4.
Just because a device is 100% DP 1.3a compliant does not imply it supports DP Adaptive Sync. Purchasing a monitor on this assumption could set yourself up for disappointment unless te manufacturer specifically states it will implement Adaptive Sync.

It isn't confirmed to have Freesync but it's important to note that Freesync is basically very close to Adaptive Sync(the underlying tech behind both Freesync and G-Sync).

The monitor has DP 1.2a and AMD has stated that the same video cards that will work with Freesync will work with that monitor, too, giving the same thing.

So what's the difference? Basically, AMD can have a more standardized framework. When it comes to A-Sync in general, the manufacturer has more leeway. Still, PCPer.com managed to get out an answer which amounted to something like "it will work between 40 and 144 Hz", which is basically the same range as the ROG Swift.

As for G-sync in general, its future will be clouded in uncertainty. It all depends how well A-Sync pans out, but if there aren't any major differences, people won't pay 150-200 dollars extra for something that they can get free. Also, Pascal must support DP 1.3, which will have A-Sync in by default. So what then? Will Nvidia remove DP 1.3 by a conscious decision? That'll never happen.

To OP: You're kind of unfortunate in your timing. Right now only AMD supports the open-sourced tech that is the future. At the same time, you don't want to wait for potentially a full year before Pascal comes out(rumored Q1 2016). My answer largely depends on your budget and your patience. If you have lots of cash, get the G-Sync Acer monitor(but only after reviews from serious websites).

If you don't, and have patience, get a Freesync monitor now like the Asus MG one, play with a 120 Hz 1440p IPS panel for now, and use the Freesync alternative when Pascal comes out(if you'd locked in the Nvidia ecosystem by choice, which is not smart, but hey). Or you could get a new 300-series AMD card and get the Asus MG27, but that'll cost gobs of cash, but it's the most efficient route, since your next upgrade will not matter.

There isn't a simple answer to this, it largely depends on your priorities. I'd still go for the Acer IPS G-Sync monitor right now, since you seem to afford it, plus you get access to A-Sync that much faster. If it's on schedule, that is...

Wow. Thanks for taking the time for writing that very informative. I plan on waiting to see the Acer IPS with gsync. As I mentioned I have a 1k credit yo purchase the monitor with.I do really hope it releases before GTA V though.late march

Wow. Thanks for taking the time for writing that very informative. I plan on waiting to see the Acer IPS with gsync. As I mentioned I have a 1k credit yo purchase the monitor with.I do really hope it releases before GTA V though.late march

He's also very wrong. See the reply after his for the real answer. BTW I've had my PG278Q for about 3 weeks now and use it all day every day and it's rock solid with no problems at all. I'd say go for it and get it, those new AHVA panels are still going to have 4-5 ms g2g response (rated by the manufacturer, may be higher when tested by a reviewer w/an oscilloscope) and higher input lag than the PG278Q. The PG278Q is an 8 bit TN and looks pretty damn nice next to an IPS (I've got a calibrated 10 bit IPS).

He's also very wrong. See the reply after his for the real answer. BTW I've had my PG278Q for about 3 weeks now and use it all day every day and it's rock solid with no problems at all. I'd say go for it and get it, those new AHVA panels are still going to have 4-5 ms g2g response (rated by the manufacturer, may be higher when tested by a reviewer w/an oscilloscope) and higher input lag than the PG278Q. The PG278Q is an 8 bit TN and looks pretty damn nice next to an IPS (I've got a calibrated 10 bit IPS).

Ok, yeah, i had a swift for 3 or so months which is what this credit is from. I just think that for a game like GTA V the little more response time etc will not be an issue, where as the extra color quality may be quite useful, still not 100% sure though.

Just wait for the g-sync IPS reviews at this point, then decide :)

I want to believe the Swift will still have something going for it because I do own one but eh, at the same time I am in doubt and I'd be happy to see the LCD tech progress.

Wait for the IPS G-Syncs/Freesyncs.

Asus missed their window with shit availability and quality control.

I was going to wait it out but the more I read about Acer's IPS G-sync and the fact that I found a Swift on CL for $700 bucks tells me I need to jump on it sooner rather than later. There's no way the IPS panels are going to match the TN panel for anything other than viewing angle. The black crush and response times are just not making up the difference for me and I don't see Acer coming out with something that is going to resolve those two main concerns.

Does anyone's advice to wait change when I can score a Swift for $700 out the door? I also don't think the Acer is going to be coming in at $600...I'm expecting it to be double that.

I was going to wait it out but the more I read about Acer's IPS G-sync and the fact that I found a Swift on CL for $700 bucks tells me I need to jump on it sooner rather than later. There's no way the IPS panels are going to match the TN panel for anything other than viewing angle. The black crush and response times are just not making up the difference for me and I don't see Acer coming out with something that is going to resolve those two main concerns.

Does anyone's advice to wait change when I can score a Swift for $700 out the door? I also don't think the Acer is going to be coming in at $600...I'm expecting it to be double that.

Definitely a good buy on the Swift. I agree with you on the Acer not being $600 since the Asus MG279 is a similar but non g sync model that already costs $600 so expecting the Acer to be more towards $800-$1000. Plus the only real advantages to the Acer are viewing angles and maybe a less aggressive AG coating.

Matte TN's belong in the garbage, especially the PG278Q's which come with 1.7-1.9 preset gamma.

Matte TN's belong in the garbage, especially the PG278Q's which come with 1.7-1.9 preset gamma.

It's really not so bad. I have a U3011 turned in portrait right next to my ROG Swift, and after calibration the colors are comparable (blasphemy, I know)

It's really not so bad. I have a U3011 turned in portrait right next to my ROG Swift, and after calibration the colors are comparable (blasphemy, I know)

You imply the U3011 is actually good.

Guess I would pick the PG278Q over a very grainy and glowy wide gamut 30," but both choices suck. I'd rather use a sub 200$ 23" IPS panel like the HP 23 Envy and overclock it to 75hz.

Why do you appear to be ignoring the monumental trump card that is G-Sync?

I'm not, I just don't care when I have to sacrifice everything aside from pixel response times for G-Sync, especially when the glossy high hz TN panels released 3+ years ago offered better image quality.

Last edited:
Back