• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I replace speakers?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
13,028
I have a old gigaworks 6.1 speaker system.

I am wondering what are good replacements now a day for this.
 
High-end computer speakers aren't really made anymore. If you want good sound you have to buy actual stereo/home theatre gear.

But, IIRC you own SVS speakers/sub set right? Maybe you could move the PC into that room for gaming on your bigger LCD TV.
 
I have a old gigaworks 6.1 speaker system.

I am wondering what are good replacements now a day for this.

I wouldn't unless you want to spend a good bit more. For some reason, surround is unpopular with most gamers. Hell, look at the [H] guys, they rant and rave about the immersivness of surround gaming, and then have cheap $20 speakers sitting there. Just how it goes.

So in terms of surround computer speakers, it only goes up to the Logitech Z-5500. Despite the haters out there, they are good speakers for their price class. But, that is as high as PC speakers go. Past that, you have to go HT gear.

Now I'm a big fan of HT speakers for computer use. However you have to scale your budget up a good bit. Figure $600 minimum to get the receiver and speakers and realistically you probably want to go more.

So if you are willing to drop that kind of coin on your PC audio, then sure I've got recommendations. If not, your Gigaworks are probably roughly on par with the 5500s and you can't get any better computer speakers.
 
$450 Onkyo/Klipsch combo @ newegg.

TX-SR508 / HD500 check the hot deals section.

Oh and the Z-5500 is not a good system unless you can get it for $200 shipped. For the same going price you can get something like a Onkyo HT-S3300 system that will sound better, cost the same, and have all the latest codecs / connections.
 
Last edited:
Onkyo HT-S5200 I believe runs around $450. The speakers are better than the Z-5500s and has a receiver.
 
but for those one your suggesting i wouldnt need a computer sound card anymore? just need digital out from my motherboard?
 
Unless you have an ATI 5000 series video card, in which case HDMI is the way to go :p

aZn_plyR, you've got a 5870; why aren't you using the hdmi port? Every sampling rate available (88.2, 176.4), plus 8 channel LPCM (gaming surround sound! multichannel FLAC!) and Dolby TruHD & DTS-Master bitstreaming!
 
Unless you have an ATI 5000 series video card, in which case HDMI is the way to go :p

aZn_plyR, you've got a 5870; why aren't you using the hdmi port? Every sampling rate available (88.2, 176.4), plus 8 channel LPCM (gaming surround sound! multichannel FLAC!) and Dolby TruHD & DTS-Master bitstreaming!

O I am definitely bit-streaming from my 5870 from HDMI. I was just recommending digital output ( which includes HDMI if Buzzer has it available ) would be the way to go instead of buying a better soundcard and doing analog or something.
 
Back
Top