Should I replace my PSU?

alex2112

n00b
I just bought a second Evga 7800GT vid card and added it to my system so I am now running in SLI. I've had my 550w TTGI modular psu for about a year now and its been running my system fine but since I've added my 2nd vid card I am worried it isn't giving my system enough reliable power.

My system consists of the following:

DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D motherboard
AMD Opteron 144 oc'd to 2.8 @ 1.6v
2x Evga 7800gt vid cards
1x Creative Audigy2 ZS Gamer
2x Seagate 7200.7 HDDs
1x Samsung ata100 HDD
1x Plextor DVD-RW
3x 80mm fans

The reason I'm worried is that TTGI is known to make some very nice budget psus, but thats what they are: budget. My system is on the hefty side, and since putting in the 2nd card, I've noticed a couple things that make me worry:

I adjusted the potentiometer inside the psu when I bought it to bring up the 12v rail a bit, at idle it sits at 12.4v, but when playing a game like oblivion, it dips to 11.9v. That seems like quite a big change to me.

When idle, my computer's fans make a distinctive hum. I know the sound very well. But when firing up oblivion, the actual tone of the fans lowers slightly, and goes back to normal when I open up my map or character screen which is 2d. The sound change makes me feel like the psu just gets too strained by the two vid cards doing 3D.

So far there has been no signs of instability in games, except for one time where oblivion froze on me as I was just walking around in the game. It hasn't done it since. I also play World of Warcraft and have not had any issues with that game.

Should I replace my budget psu for a more expensive and 'SLI Certified' one?

Ok, last night, oblivion froze again out of nowhere. I thought it was a one time thing originally but now I'm really suspecting the psu. I think I'm going to order a new one today.

Back