• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I replace my PSU next year?

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
1,584
Just wanted to get opinions here. I don't play around with PSUs because when they go, they have the potential to take parts of your system. I purchased my SeaSonic S12-500 back in May 2008. It is still under the original 5-year warranty. I have had zero issues with it. I'm currently running a C2Q6600 + GeForce GTX 560. My future CPU (Haswell-based i5) and GPU (something with less power draw, aiming for mid-2014) will use less power. So, I don't need to increase my wattage. I'm asking due to reliability.

Basically, how long would you go between PSU upgrades, assuming your power-draw needs went unchanged?
 
IMO, you can just keep your PSU. It is a high quality PSU and if it's working fine I would just keep it. By getting a new one you might get a bad one after all :)

High quality PSUs age very well, AFAIK. They may lose a bit of punch but since you're getting hardware that will draw LESS power I wouldn't worry about it.
 
If I had a spare, I'd wait until the old PSU failed, unless I saw a great bargain, like last month's $27AR TigerDirect deal on a 650W Corsair (which I missed, by 5 minutes). Another reason I wouldn't buy a PSU before I needed it: low quality capacitors can rot considerably in a year or two, just sitting in storage. BTW if you store electronics, every 6 months run them for a full hour.

I'm using a PSU that was built in 1999 and that was repaired only when I first got it, to fix solder cracks from rough shipping, and because it contains only high quality capacitors, it should be able to keep going at least another 3-5 years, unless the fan konks.
 
If I had a spare, I'd wait until the old PSU failed, unless I saw a great bargain, like last month's $27AR TigerDirect deal on a 650W Corsair (which I missed, by 5 minutes). Another reason I wouldn't buy a PSU before I needed it: low quality capacitors can rot considerably in a year or two, just sitting in storage. BTW if you store electronics, every 6 months run them for a full hour.

I'm using a PSU that was built in 1999 and that was repaired only when I first got it, to fix solder cracks from rough shipping, and because it contains only high quality capacitors, it should be able to keep going at least another 3-5 years, unless the fan konks.

I may have miscommunicated. I'm not looking to buy a PSU now to store for a year. I'm wanting to get an idea of the right time to replace the PSU (IE, buy a new one, receive in the mail, and immediately swap out).
 
Nah. Keep it until it dies, it won't take anything else with it. Good ones can last 6+ years, and that Seasonic is a good one. You never know exactly when it would die though, so you can keep your eye out for a killer deal on a power supply to keep as backup.
 
Back
Top