Should I replace my Mobo?

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently running this Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

The issue im having is my video card died and I'm going to be getting a 1080 GTX. Im wondering if this mobo is still decent, and if i should upgrade if i want to overclock at all. Chances are I'll also be getting a 1440p gsync monitor as well, I believe my CPU/RAM are still good enough, but its the mobo im unsure of what recent strides have been made

the board you have is fine. No sense in upgrading a motherboard on an old platform. What CPU are you running anyway?

IMHO, putting a 1080 in that mobo would be like putting a 5.7L V8 Hemi into a subcompact.. yes it could be done, but why bother with such overkill ?

You will be putting a current-gen GPU into a mobo that is 4 gens old (soon to be 5) along with a CPU that is also several gens old. Again, yes it can be done, but why bother with such overkill ?

Makes no sense to me.....

really depends on his resolution, at higher resolutions he won't be bottlenecked by the 4770 (especially if that's a 4770K with a good OC)

IMHO, putting a 1080 in that mobo would be like putting a 5.7L V8 Hemi into a subcompact.. yes it could be done, but why bother with such overkill ?

You will be putting a current-gen GPU into a mobo that is 4 gens old (soon to be 5) along with a CPU that is also several gens old. Again, yes it can be done, but why bother with such overkill ?

Makes no sense to me.....

Blatently ignorant. Theres abit more performance in the newer stuff, but not enough for that comparison. This is like putting a 6.2L Hemi, in a car that originally had the 5.7L.

That board is PCI-E Gen3 compliant, and the CPU is fine.

Go ahead and upgrade.

Back