• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I replace my 3year old power supply

rogflash

n00b
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
21
Just got a good deal on adding a 2nd gtx480 to my system, I've fully updated my computer starting in July except for the power supply.

Its a Silverstone ST1000 circa 2007, it has always run great and seems fine, but its 3+ years old. I havent really been pulling too much from it (ran a 8800gtx SLI then a 280gtx SLI) currently with full load overclocked I'll pull about 600watts from the wall.

Should I consider replacing it? Wattage wise I know its a good match for my upcomming SLI, I'm just wondering if there is any/much degredation over time in a psu?
 
There's no need to replace it unless you want to get something more efficient.
 
Ya I figured it was ok, I'll squeeze out a couple more years out of it im hoping, thanks!
 
The things that tend to fail first are the fans and the low voltage electrolytic capacitors. I think your Silverstone has CapXon brand capacitors, and they seem to often go bad in just a few years in LCD TVs and monitors.

I'm using PSUs made in 1999, but they were built with all Japanese capacitors.
 
Back
Top