• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I replace my 20 year old stereo deck?

abyte2it

n00b
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
19
I have my pc connected to the "cd-in" of this, using the onboard sound of the motherboard (line-out):
dsc00256minideck.jpg


I have two front speakers placed about a meter away from the computer and two "surround" speakers mounted on the wall behind me. Front speaker:
dsc00252minispeaker.jpg
dsc00267minispeakerback.jpg


Surround speaker:
dsc00269minijamofront.jpg
dsc00266minijamoback.jpg


Connections:
dsc00262minideckback.jpg


The surround speakers sound quite weak and have no bass, but I still feel that they put me more "in" the music, especially when turning up the volume. The front speakers can pack a good punch, so I've been happy with this setup. My usage is primarily listening to mp3s and I watch some TV-series and sports on the computer.

The question is, is it worth the effort upgrading? The amplifier has "continuous RMS power output 20W + 20W, DIN power output 15W +15W and music power output 35W + 35W" according to the specs in the manual. CD IN has 200mV sensitivity and impedance 47 kohms. Is that good? Have big things happened to this technology lately?

The deck stands in a small (3x5 meter) room, so the size is the main reason for wanting something new. I no longer have any use for the turntable, radio, cassette player or cd-player on it. Recently the right channel has had some drop-outs when adjusting the volume.

What would be the best option if I upgrade?

- Toss everything and replace with a cheap compact system, like this?
82-136-290-04.jpg

- Buy a receiver. Will I be able to reuse my current speakers then?
- Buy a "pc speaker system" like the Corsair SP2500? How do my current specs compare to that?
- My motherboard seems to have 5.1 capabilities:
dsc00271miniconnections.jpg
dsc00272minispdif.jpg

Should I try to take advantage of this and get a real surround setup, or is that overkill for listening to mp3s?

Also, should I make a point of trying to reuse the "surround" speakers? Or are they so old and bad that they are incompatible with anything new?

And finally, would I benefit from a sub? Or is that also overkill for my usage? I don't really watch movies that much and rarely do any gaming.

Sorry for the long post. I know there are many experts on this forum, so I'm hoping for some tips. My apologies if some of this has been covered in other threads.
 
Last edited:
If it sounds fine to you - keep it.

If you want an upgrade, first determine if you want a surround setup or a stereo setup (with or without a subwoofer).

Consider purchasing a receiver. Here's a good starter receiver: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-520-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0039XQKXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308431985&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-520-K 5.1 Home Theater Receiver: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41K2%2BJ7QH3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41K2%2BJ7QH3L[/ame]

I'd also consider upgrading your speakers. PSB makes nice bookshelf speakers.

If you want something like a PC 2.1 setup, consider the Swan M50w.
 
Why not just upgrade to better speakers and use the current stereo system?
 
Why not just upgrade to better speakers and use the current stereo system?

This system seems to have only Pro Logic processing. Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS is a good minimum I think. No subwoofer pre-out either.
 
you say you don't use your tuner. then why buy a receiver when you don't use the "radio" function?
a simple integrated amp would work fine for you.

how much do you want to spend for the upgrade?

if you want to keep cost at a minimum get a T-amp and some Insignias.
 
you say you don't use your tuner. then why buy a receiver when you don't use the "radio" function?
a simple integrated amp would work fine for you.

how much do you want to spend for the upgrade?

if you want to keep cost at a minimum get a T-amp and some Insignias.

NS-B2111 are now almost 2x the price they once were (88+tax)
T-Amps aren't easily found and they wouldn't offer any surround features.
 
- Toss everything and replace with a cheap compact system, like this?
to be honest, this system looks inferior to the system you're using right now.

- Buy a receiver. Will I be able to reuse my current speakers then?
yes, you would. but you said you don't use your tuner so you don't need a receiver.

- Buy a "pc speaker system" like the Corsair SP2500? How do my current specs compare to that?
i bet it would sound better than what you're using right now.

- My motherboard seems to have 5.1 capabilities:
actually it's 7.1

Should I try to take advantage of this and get a real surround setup, or is that overkill for listening to mp3s?
Your music is only stereo, so 2 speakers would be sufficient.
if you like the fake pro-logic sound get a decent 5.1 speaker setup.

And finally, would I benefit from a sub? Or is that also overkill for my usage? I don't really watch movies that much and rarely do any gaming.
it depends on your main speakers but a sub can be a worthwhile addition to a music listening setup as well.
 
Many thanks for your suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Corsair SP2500 or something similar.

Found this quote over at Tom's Hardware: "If you’re a PC user who hasn’t experienced what a subwoofer can do, you owe it to yourself to try one out. Strong bass brings incredible power to game sounds, and extends the range of music much lower than a two-speaker setup can achieve. If you want to feel those explosions and rhythms, a subwoofer isn’t an option. It’s a necessity."

So I guess I'll get a sub then.
 
Don't try to re-use the speakers, they're not that great anyway.

Your motherboard is capable of surround sound, but if you're doing mostly music (not home theater or games), there's no point. Trolls might come out and argue that there is, but unless you have a large budget, you will get better sound for your money from a 2-channel setup.

With the receiver, there is no reason to get one if you don't need surround sound or a radio tuner or a bunch of inputs.

This is a nice little amp that will serve you better for 2-channel sound:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

It's all a question of budget. You're looking at $100 for a decent amp, $100-300 for good mains, and $200 for a sub if you want it. Will it sound better than the Corsair? You betcha. Will be worth it? That's your call, not mine. Are you DIY inclined? You may be able to build a very nice set of speakers for cheap if you are comfortable using a circular saw.

In regards to the subwoofer - IMO, it's not essential for music. I have a pretty good subwoofer (tapped folded horn that goes to ~20Hz) and there's only a couple of songs where I can really tell the difference that the sub is giving me. Most techno bass lines are around 100Hz, which a halfway decent set of mains can handle. Of course, there are plenty of other people who tell you that you need a great sub, or that you should spend as much on the sub as all your other speakers combined. My recommendation is to demo one, preferably in a controlled environment where you can test the same mains at the same levels with and without the subwoofer, using your own music and not some crazy bass-heavy song.
 
Back
Top