Should I replace 3 GTX 280's with a 5970?

Should I replace 3 GTX 280's with a 5970?

• Yes

Votes: 115 59.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 40.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sorry but whoever told you that your setup was awesome and worth posting to brag about lied to you.
Maybe you were going for a comical angle?Take a pic of yourself sitting in closely in front of a big dlp screen with some dorky glasses would be appreciated and welcomed.
mmmm do I smell envy in the air? Oh yes, the sweet smell of envy and feeling defeated so any silly comment is good to try an restore some pride.
I guess after making a fool of yourself by making a stupid comment that proved to be WAY wrong, that is the best you can come up with....good for you, go back to flatlands and you non geeky triplemonitor setup, if you have one. :rolleyes:
I wish parents would keep children away from pc forums ;)

actually i wanted to ask why you keep that small monitor near you. isn't that uncomfortable you could gain some space by removing it i swear :p
I use the LCD for regular browsing but I changing my setup, this is just temporary one. I want to have easier access to both.
I just wanted to show the genius that was unable to google 3d vision and the possibilities of using bigger displays than 22", how wrong he was.
Since his follow up post was a childish replay, my job has been done. :D

mmmm do I smell envy in the air? Oh yes, the sweet smell of envy and feeling defeated so any silly comment is good to try an restore some pride.
I guess after making a fool of yourself by making a stupid comment that proved to be WAY wrong, that is the best you can come up with....good for you, go back to flatlands and you non geeky triplemonitor setup, if you have one. :rolleyes:
Hmmm...
or stop using dell cases? LOL
LOL PWNED!
Yes, why are you still here? Shouldn't you be doing homework or chores or something?

Unlike you I do not have to GUESS. I know the input lag is a LOT better than any 60Hz LCD so unless you are using a 120Hz one or CRT your point is mute. Why do people love to use "probably" when as soon as you use that word, everything after it becomes a useless comment based on nothing?

Let's see photos of your input lag benches vs a CRT then. I'm betting it's well over 40ms, you're just not able to notice the lag. As some people are quite insensitive to it while others will notice it when playing FPS. There are people who claim they have noticed no lag on a 2408WFP but actual input lag benchmarks show it's pretty darn slow compared to CRT or TN panels.

It depends on what your priorities are, and therefore each user has to make that final decision. I'm not sure what you mean by:

if you meant you don't need to sell them now to turn a decent profit, well, yes, you do, as each day you don't sell them they depreciate, that's technology. I'm not arguing that 3xGTX280 isn't fast enough for today's game - it's more than fast enough for any game out there. I would look at the 5970 offering similar performance, but with a much smaller power envelope and added features like DX11 and Eyefinity.

That said, I can understand your not wanting to upgrade, considering you're on water and A) upgrading a water set-up is a pain in the ass, and B) I don't even know if blocks are available yet for the 5970, so you'd have to run air for a bit anyway.
The 280 dont loose mutch more value by waiting a little more time as they lost most of it value by now after 285 and 5870 and there is always people that buy "outdated" stuff and dont care about latest and greatest. Some even want a second hand 280 to go SLI.
Besides i dont care if i can get 150 or 100-€/card as the 3x280 is not week in any way yet, just not the fastest around but that is expected but it took longer than i tought to reach that point. And since the OP dont plan to sell the cards there is no rush to do anything yet as there is no money to loose.
IF there wheer DX11 games out i wanted then there was another ballgame and 5870 are not in anyway like 8800GTX was where the card had it uses before DX10 was usefull due to its perfomance for that time.

Yes it is a pain to take down the wc-setup but not that mutch that i stay away from it when i need it, i just wait for a new MM case and 2GB cards at least before and for me 5970 is not what i looking for until a 4GB card is out and it is spot on with 2x5870 in perfomance as i seek highest perfomance, not what draw less energy as i dont game 24/7/365.
If i upgrade i dont want similar perfomance, i want higher by XX% as always and thats why a single 5970 fail to be what i want.

The value of video cards is a tricky one, they dont really depreciate very linearly, they keep their price until something better is released then they all take a large price drop. Trying to sell a high end video card can mean a big price difference over a month where newer technology is released.

The price of 280s will plummet when Fermi is released, thats for sure.

lol? Is really that hard to do a couple mouse clicks and realize you have me mistaken for someone else? :p Way wrong about what?

now where's the pick of the uber nvidia glasses? you sound delusional about your dlp setup no thank you. Old tech <---- that way pls.

Hmmm...

Yes, why are you still here? Shouldn't you be doing homework or chores or something?

Since you have no arguments anymore to even try to discuss this, I am not wasting any more time on you.
Come back when you are bit older kiddo.

Let's see photos of your input lag benches vs a CRT then. I'm betting it's well over 40ms, you're just not able to notice the lag. As some people are quite insensitive to it while others will notice it when playing FPS. There are people who claim they have noticed no lag on a 2408WFP but actual input lag benchmarks show it's pretty darn slow compared to CRT or TN panels.
Dude one again, DLP that is my display, please research.

lol? Is really that hard to do a couple mouse clicks and realize you have me mistaken for someone else? :p Way wrong about what?

now where's the pick of the uber nvidia glasses? you sound delusional about your dlp setup no thank you. Old tech <---- that way pls.

Do you even have a point to make with that post? :rolleyes:
It seems you are running out of ideas so do this, take a break, think about a few things then post tomorrow, I promise I will read it. ;)

Do you even have a point to make with that post? :rolleyes:
It seems you are running out of ideas so do this, take a break, think about a few things then post tomorrow, I promise I will read it. ;)

Indeed my friend. You posted pic of your setup. We all think it sucks. Deal with it. Move along now buddy.

The 280 dont loose mutch more value by waiting a little more time as they lost most of it value by now after 285 and 5870 and there is always people that buy "outdated" stuff and dont care about latest and greatest. Some even want a second hand 280 to go SLI.
Besides i dont care if i can get 150 or 100-€/card as the 3x280 is not week in any way yet, just not the fastest around but that is expected but it took longer than i tought to reach that point. And since the OP dont plan to sell the cards there is no rush to do anything yet as there is no money to loose.
IF there wheer DX11 games out i wanted then there was another ballgame and 5870 are not in anyway like 8800GTX was where the card had it uses before DX10 was usefull due to its perfomance for that time.

Yes it is a pain to take down the wc-setup but not that mutch that i stay away from it when i need it, i just wait for a new MM case and 2GB cards at least before and for me 5970 is not what i looking for until a 4GB card is out and it is spot on with 2x5870 in perfomance as i seek highest perfomance, not what draw less energy as i dont game 24/7/365.
If i upgrade i dont want similar perfomance, i want higher by XX% as always and thats why a single 5970 fail to be what i want.
And I'm not saying everyone with 3xGTX280 should upgrade to a 5970. There are benefits to upgrading and every upgrade comes with trade-offs, and it's the task of the user to determine whether or not those benefits are worth it. If I had 3xGTX280 (which I wouldn't, not my style), I would upgrade to a 5970, but that's my personal opinion, no more, no less.

The value of video cards is a tricky one, they dont really depreciate very linearly, they keep their price until something better is released then they all take a large price drop. Trying to sell a high end video card can mean a big price difference over a month where newer technology is released.

The price of 280s will plummet when Fermi is released, thats for sure.
Depends on what price Fermi is released at and its availability. I'd say most likely yes, but by how much is anyone's guess.

Since you have no arguments anymore to even try to discuss this, I am not wasting any more time on you.
Come back when you are bit older kiddo.
Of course you won't, how many times can you ignore me showing you how wrong you are. That's funny though, this coming from the kid who yells "LOL PWNED" at people when he doesn't have a decent argument or evidence to back up his claims. The irony is so thick it could choke.

Anyway, are you that thick or in denial to stave off embarrassment? Multiple people have told you have no idea what you're talking about and yet you're still posting. You conveniently ignore all posts and links that show just how far off you are, and continue to post pictures of your shitty setup. You have no credibility, so if you're still here for comic relief, have at it.

And I'm not saying everyone with 3xGTX280 should upgrade to a 5970. There are benefits to upgrading and every upgrade comes with trade-offs, and it's the task of the user to determine whether or not those benefits are worth it. If I had 3xGTX280 (which I wouldn't, not my style), I would upgrade to a 5970, but that's my personal opinion, no more, no less.

Depends on what price Fermi is released at and its availability. I'd say most likely yes, but by how much is anyone's guess.

Of course you won't, how many times can you ignore me showing you how wrong you are. That's funny though, this coming from the kid who yells "LOL PWNED" at people when he doesn't have a decent argument or evidence to back up his claims. The irony is so thick it could choke.

Anyway, are you that thick or in denial to stave off embarrassment? Multiple people have told you have no idea what you're talking about and yet you're still posting. You conveniently ignore all posts and links that show just how far off you are, and continue to post pictures of your shitty setup. You have no credibility, so if you're still here for comic relief, have at it.

Don't feed the trolls...

when someone is too obsess with something, its nearly impossible for them to realize the truth.
Or maybe they know what the truth is, they just want to ignore it in order to protect their pride.

And forget about lag or whatever on that large TV, holy lego sized pixels batman, lol.

TV's as monitors has never been a good idea, you lose the accuracy of high pixel desnity. 36.7 pixels per inch rather than 101 Pixels per inch of a 2560x1600 30", measured diagonally.

Last edited:

Dude. Who CARES? What are you trying to prove? That you wouldn't LOVE to game on a 60" DLP with 3d stereoscopic? Please. His setup is awesome. And DLP's don't have input lag issues as far as I'm aware. Btw, your LCD probably has a max input lag of 40ms. That's 2 frames, and not too bad considering what's out there. But the DLP doesn't go anywhere near that. There isn't a 1/10 as much processing going on as on any LCD outside of the LZ800, LH30, and maybe A650 in game mode. Of course those LCD's all look like shit in game mode (at least a650 does). DLP kicks ass, for those who can stand the rainbows. I've seen DLP in 3d mode and it is amazing.

Sounds like someones being a pedantic jealous nanny.

Perfect set up I think would be a 5970 and a quality 50" Plasma 1080p monitor for an enthusiast. Just because eyeinfinity is new doesn't mean 3 24" monitors is some how better than a 50" plasma 1080p monitor. Besides, looking at bezels in the game FOV just aint right. It will be like playing with static artifacts IMO. To each their own. :cool:

Heh 2x GTX285 lose from single 5870 in some scenarios so i would say go for it!

Dude one again, DLP that is my display, please research.

Show these benches that PROVE that DLP HDTVs have better input lag than LCD monitors.
You haven't so we're not just gonna take your workd for it, sorry.

Your only proof so far "Oooh, but it uses MAGICAL mirrors, so it's gotta be faster than LCD tech!"
Right, I seriously doubt it beats a good TN, no less a good IPS. Show us the [H]ard numbers that measures the input lag of that DLP TV vs a CRT.

Dude. Who CARES? What are you trying to prove? That you wouldn't LOVE to game on a 60" DLP with 3d stereoscopic? Please. His setup is awesome. And DLP's don't have input lag issues as far as I'm aware. Btw, your LCD probably has a max input lag of 40ms. That's 2 frames, and not too bad considering what's out there. But the DLP doesn't go anywhere near that. There isn't a 1/10 as much processing going on as on any LCD outside of the LZ800, LH30, and maybe A650 in game mode. Of course those LCD's all look like shit in game mode (at least a650 does). DLP kicks ass, for those who can stand the rainbows. I've seen DLP in 3d mode and it is amazing.

Sounds like someones being a pedantic jealous nanny.

Cliff notes:
1. Guy tries to brag about his DLP + 3d glasses by posting pic vs guy with eyeinfinity setup
2. People in thread say DLP+3d cool glasses:cool: is not impressive (being nice here) ie too big/too close, input lag etc.
3. Poster can't take honest criticism, gets defensive ('chair can roll back', claims we're all jealous') still unable to provide proof of input lag claims.

Please keep up now. No need to play defensive nanny, I'm sure he's a big boy.

Read HardOCPs review.
EyeFinity is ready for the 5970, period, the end. You know this how??? What constitutes "most of the time"??? Do you have one??? I can tell you from my experience with my 5870s in CrossfireX, running on a single monitor the cards are well utilized, hitting 80-95% usage nearly all the time. I have no idea what the 5970 will do, I have to take ATIs word and Kyle's word on that............I won't pretend to be an expert.

My benchmarks were run just like everyone else does them.
I don't really need to explain that to anybody, I didn't do it to run around the forums screaming about the performance......nor do I troll around contradicting what other people have to say.
What mattered to me, was, was the purchase worth it before I sold or used my 285s in some other way.

I had a horrific time with the 4870 X2s and I was very skeptical about buying launch day products again.

So I ran some basic bench run throughs when I got the first 5870.
In FarCry2, using the built in benchmark, medium ranch, the minimum FPS on the 5870 was 15-20% better and the average FPS was 20% better............in nearly everything I've done so far the minimum frame rate was 15% better across the board, making for a much smoother game. The 5870 did not kill the 285s, but a SINGLE card did what two could not, and has more features...........what's not to like. 389 dollars versus 800 dollars, it's not hard to see the benefit.
I did not select games that I felt favored ATI, in fact every game I looked at has the nvidia logo associated with it.
To be honest, I don't care much for your insinuating I don't know what I'm doing or maybe I'm making this all up.........I have nothing to prove to anyone.
The guy asked for my opinion about the 5970.......I think my experience with the 5870s has been very positive. I think they are the best and most innovative GPUs to come out in years.....much on par with the release of the 8800 GTX a few years back, except even more feature rich.

I am not a fan of either side. I just think the 5870s I have are worth the money and they are better performers than my SLi'd 285s.:D

LOL, continue with your parade of selfpwn.

http://news.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_5970_performance_preview/page3.asp

"Now the Eyefinity support does come with a number of caveats. For starters, support is limited to the games listed above only. No other games are supported yet at this time. In addition, only landscape configurations scale properly. Running portrait mode will still function, but will rely on the primary GPU only. And again, Eyefinity support is limited to the 5970 card at this time."

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=6

Currently, only a limited number of titles will support the 5970 running in dual-GPU mode with Eyefinity.

Why do you so vehemently insist that you are correct when you are very obviously wrong? Your other claims are equally dubious and sound like you were testing a 5870 against a single 285, or an improperly working SLI setup. You claim your 5870 beat a pair of 285s by 20% in Far Cry 2, yet this shows the 5870 being consistently 30-50% slower.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422-14.html

I find professional reviewers more compelling than anonymous trolls trying to justify their purchases. If I really thought the 5970 was great, I'd keep the one I have coming. It's worth no more to me than the $500 I paid for it though, so it's going on ebay for all the impatient people who have deluded themselves into thinking it's worth $800+.

Perfect set up I think would be a 5970 and a quality 50" Plasma 1080p monitor for an enthusiast. Just because eyeinfinity is new doesn't mean 3 24" monitors is some how better than a 50" plasma 1080p monitor. Besides, looking at bezels in the game FOV just aint right. It will be like playing with static artifacts IMO. To each their own. :cool:

The "perfect" setup would be a trio of ultra high end 1080p projectors and you can do eyeinfinity w/o any worry about bezels.

LOL, continue with your parade of selfpwn.

http://news.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_5970_performance_preview/page3.asp

"Now the Eyefinity support does come with a number of caveats. For starters, support is limited to the games listed above only. No other games are supported yet at this time. In addition, only landscape configurations scale properly. Running portrait mode will still function, but will rely on the primary GPU only. And again, Eyefinity support is limited to the 5970 card at this time."

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=6

Currently, only a limited number of titles will support the 5970 running in dual-GPU mode with Eyefinity.

Why do you so vehemently insist that you are correct when you are very obviously wrong? Your other claims are equally dubious and sound like you were testing a 5870 against a single 285, or an improperly working SLI setup. You claim your 5870 beat a pair of 285s by 20% in Far Cry 2, yet this shows the 5870 being consistently 30-50% slower.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422-14.html

I find professional reviewers more compelling than anonymous trolls trying to justify their purchases. If I really thought the 5970 was great, I'd keep the one I have coming. It's worth no more to me than the $500 I paid for it though, so it's going on ebay for all the impatient people who have deluded themselves into thinking it's worth $800+.

haha, "professional reviewers" / "anonymous trolls"...

so which one are you?

I vote cool kid anonymous reviewer tooting his own horn.

Nice original name too.

Man jcdenton overpaid, I got my 5970 for $420 shipped....who got self pwned...:p

I voted yes solely based on the assumption that you have the dough to splurge for eyefinity. If you don't think you'll be able to grab a couple more monitors as well then I would say stick with your current setup, as I'm sure it's handling things just fine.

Back