Should I play Doom 3?

depends, if you were never a big fan of corridor style shooters then you may get quickly bored of it.... go into room, kill monsters, atleast one will pop out of a dark corner to "scare" you, kill that one, move into next room and repeat.

Initially, it was really scary. The no flashlight on the weapon bit... argh. That said, the game slides into a 'go in door, closet opens behind you, monster jumps out'. Got old fast. Never picked up the expansion. Get it cheap - was fun, however.

Doom 3 gave me the most memorable scary moment in all of my gaming years. I was playing around midnight in the dark w/ 5.1 surround. Game was new at the time, had built a PC just to run it. I was in some scarier part of the game when a live bat swooped down from a hole in my drop ceiling and wacked me in the back of the head. I screamed like a little girl, jumped up out of my seat, and ran upstairs. I couldn't play the game for like a week after that.

Holy crap, timing is everything eh?
I had a similar experience playing a game in my apartment when a bat came out of nowhere and scared the crap out of me. I think it was ghostbusters. While he was flying around my room, i dumped a pillow,and used the pillow case to catch him, released him outside, He did it to me again,5 minutes later. This time he landed on a towel on bed so i gently wrapped him up and let him go again.. lol

Doom 3 is Id Software's most consumer polarizing game they have made so far. People either loved it or hated it. Im a huge id fan, and loved it. Steam every now and then, has the id pack on sale for 40 or so and well worth it. There is some great mods for all the id greats. In particular, the quake series.

Last edited:
I would say no. Its as generic a shooter as you could ever hope to play.

The game is completely predictable after the first hour, you will ALWAYS no where enemies are going to spawn, and you will NEVER be surprised or spooked. The game isnt scary in the least, and considering its a bland corridor shooter when you take the atmosphere out of it, you have a big problem.

My opinion.

I would say no. Its as generic a shooter as you could ever hope to play.

The game is completely predictable after the first hour, you will ALWAYS no where enemies are going to spawn, and you will NEVER be surprised or spooked. The game isnt scary in the least, and considering its a bland corridor shooter when you take the atmosphere out of it, you have a big problem.

My opinion.
Generic? False

It pushed the envelope for lighting and shading. It looked amazing for its time. Keep in mind it WAS released 7 years ago. Still has more depth than a lot of today's games. Very nerve racking gameplay.

doom 3 was just cheap. monsters spawning from the side and behind. parts of it looked like a lighting demo. the darkness was bad enough, worse was the smoke that would obscure fireballs and the enemies. how silly was that. luckily it was easy enough to mod. Step 1 was to install the flashlight mod. After much tedium I modded the rifle bullets to act like shotgun shells. Made the game much more fun. :)

I loved it.
I bought the expansion and I think it was equally good.

Doom3 inspired me to start building my own stuff and I never looked back.

It's a fun game and well designed. Works in Eyefinity and with some texture mods looks pretty damn good. Get the duct tape mod for your guns and have a blast.

Generic? False

It pushed the envelope for lighting and shading. It looked amazing for its time. Keep in mind it WAS released 7 years ago. Still has more depth than a lot of today's games. Very nerve racking gameplay.

Yeah, I played it 7 years ago. And thats what I thought of it 7 years ago.

I am now sad that I didn't really play the expansion :/
I ended up owning it for xbox since I could do split screen coop with original Doom on it lol

I'd recommend at least one play through. Playing in the dark with a good 5.1 setup or good headphones is definitely an experience.

D3 and Q4 are great! There are definitely some complainers out there, but if you like id games, you'll like these. Simple as that. They shouldn't be compared to tactical shooters, squad based shooters, complex Russian shooters, or big open world shooters. These are id games. Corridors, stylized monsters, and loads of guns. Plain and simple. They're games with loads of atmosphere and style, tight, close quarters action, and very responsive controls. Add some mods as mentioned above, Narcoza D3 is also a great multi-mod pack. If you go in expecting the right thing, these games deliver perfectly. And agree completely on the sound. Grab some good headphones, turn the lights out, and enjoy!

Back