• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I open this BFG 6800GT?

BM00

Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
681
I came into some "good fortune" and now have a new BFG 6800 GT OC (the new blue pcb with 2 fan hs) unopened. Currently I have an ATi 9800 Pro 128mb that runs all the games I play very nicely at the resolution I will only ever use: that being 1024x768. Quake3, farcry, painkiller, and even just finished Doom3...I'm thoroughly impressed and still satisfied with this card.

Here's my dilemma (basically people will have to talk me into using this card over my current heh). Should I expect a large increase in performance over my current GPU with this 6800GT running at 1024x768 high quality or not? If not...I"m going to sell this card...should be easy as I notice it's sold out about everywhere and it is in high demand.

Opinions welcomed...
 
if you're still happy with your 9800 Pro, keep it and sell the 6800GT.

it's not like they'll cost MORE in a few months if you change your mind.
 
at 1024x768, both the 6800gt and 9800pro are probably cpu-bound. i'd suggest just selling the 6800gt if you need the money.

where did you get the bfg manufactured one? i'd like one :D.
 
SELL IT

then selling your 9800 Pro in a few months for like $100 + the profit from the GT now will get you a new free GT.
 
if your dead set about never going above those settings, then the gt wont be fo much use to you for a while.just curious, why wouldnt you crank the settings up? that 9800 should be able to play q3 @16x12 and never drop below 70-80 fps. depending on your cpu that is. and should definatly be well palyable at above 1024 in farcry and painkiller.
 
All great advice...thank you. Here's how I stand now however.

Firstly, my pc isn't shab being:

A64 3200+ newcastle
K8V-SE-DLX
2x512mb K.HyperX 3200
Samsung 17" CRT
Audigy 2 ZS
etc - etc

I can sell my 9800Pro for $125 right now to someone...therefore bringing down the total price of the 6800 GT to $195 I *paid* for it. I purchased the 9800 Pro for $215 way back too. (A friend in retail being the fortune I "came into" by the way)

The question remains though...I'm just not sure the 6800GT will really edge out the 9800Pro as of now; but, in another year or two...I'm thinking the Radeon will show it's age while the 16pipelined, easily OC'd to Ultra settings, life time warranteed, $195 dollar 6800GT will still be kicking well.

So..do I still live in the now or think of the future is the question. I must admit - I'd definitely rather an ATi card in my computer.
 
@ 1024x768, not a huge performance gain. You might get 20-30%. A nice gain but maybe not a "$450+ is-it-worth-it" gain.
 
jkr266 said:
if your dead set about never going above those settings, then the gt wont be fo much use to you for a while.just curious, why wouldnt you crank the settings up? that 9800 should be able to play q3 @16x12 and never drop below 70-80 fps. depending on your cpu that is. and should definatly be well palyable at above 1024 in farcry and painkiller.

I would possibly use higher settings if my monitor supported more than an 85 refresh rate after 1024x768. Plus, I'm very content with 17" crt's to be honest.
 
pass it around dude, you've had your share of being high! with that 6800gt you won't have to run in 1024x768 you can run in 1600x1200..... And a year from now when the 9800 is choking you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping the "future proof" 6800gt... The GT will live alot longer on the market then the 9800 will, and I'm on a 3.6ghz x800pro 17" flat screen crt monitor loving the image quality won't go 19" or bigger for nothin... open that thing up!
 
Ok, there's no excuse for having a 3.6 and an X800pro with a tiny little 17" monitor.

That just begs the question... WHY? It's like having a movie projector that displays on a wristwatch. You don't gain anything other than eye strain by running a screen that small. Right now I'm reclining all the way back in my chair while I type this on my 21". The very least your eyes deserve with those specs is a 19".
 
Wife has a 19" monitor and I don't like it... I prefer the 17" flat screen CRT.. I know it might sound strange but 1600x1200 looks alot better on my 17" then it does on her 19" :rolleyes:
 
i think that the GT will go down in price alot in a year. Which means you will be able to use about what 300-350 or so for that card. You might get 150$ for your pro. If you need the money and is satisfied with your 9800 then sell the GT. IF you have plenty of money to wipe your a$$ with then get rid of the 9800 for 150$ and benifit from the "newest" gpu's. IF i were you, id sell the 6800. You DO NOT need that much of a performance gain as of this moment. And when you do need the gain. Upgrade then, but dont upgrade when its not neccessary. There is only so much quality that can come out of a game.
 
sell the GT on ebay you will get very high price.


and keep with the 9800 until Q4 and get a 512 Mb card :cool:
 
howifeelboutyou.jpg
 
BM00 said:
I came into some "good fortune" and now have a new BFG 6800 GT OC (the new blue pcb with 2 fan hs) unopened. Currently I have an ATi 9800 Pro 128mb that runs all the games I play very nicely at the resolution I will only ever use: that being 1024x768. Quake3, farcry, painkiller, and even just finished Doom3...I'm thoroughly impressed and still satisfied with this card.

Here's my dilemma (basically people will have to talk me into using this card over my current heh). Should I expect a large increase in performance over my current GPU with this 6800GT running at 1024x768 high quality or not? If not...I"m going to sell this card...should be easy as I notice it's sold out about everywhere and it is in high demand.

Opinions welcomed...

would you mind scanning or taking a pic of the box?
 
I'll make it easy for you. Since you're having such a hard time deciding, and you obviously want to keep your 9800 Pro, just send me the GT. I won't charge you anything, and I'll even pay for shipping. Now, since you've gotten rid of your dillema, you will be happy again.

I'm just so nice. :p
 
SportyGuy220 said:
i think that the GT will go down in price alot in a year. Which means you will be able to use about what 300-350 or so for that card. You might get 150$ for your pro. If you need the money and is satisfied with your 9800 then sell the GT. IF you have plenty of money to wipe your a$$ with then get rid of the 9800 for 150$ and benifit from the "newest" gpu's. IF i were you, id sell the 6800. You DO NOT need that much of a performance gain as of this moment. And when you do need the gain. Upgrade then, but dont upgrade when its not neccessary. There is only so much quality that can come out of a game.

This is more along the lines to what I was thinking. The 9800 Pro is enough to run all the games this year at the resolution and settings I use. If I installed the GT I can't really expect that much of a performance increase. Also, I'm very partial to ATi to be honest...just feel more comfortable with one in my system...so, the 6800GT is up for sale.

Really appreciate all of the advice and opinions..thanx
 
i went from 9800 pro to 6800Gt and it was a HUGE difference. but if your happy with what ya got, cash is always a plus
 
he only paid 330 for the gt keep it thats a steal! even in the future it will sell around 300 bucks. The card has a life time warrenty hopefully it goes dead in a year and half and you will be sent a equivlent but newer line.
 
BM00 said:
All great advice...thank you. Here's how I stand now however.

Firstly, my pc isn't shab being:

A64 3200+ newcastle
K8V-SE-DLX
2x512mb K.HyperX 3200
Samsung 17" CRT
Audigy 2 ZS
etc - etc
.

You have a pretty good system, but a crappy as ass monitor. Sell the card and upgrade your monitor. I seriously don't understand why people spend thousands on a computer to game wtih, who's purpose is to make the game more enjoyable visually, but to spend the least money on the monitor. The monitor should be the most expensive and best part of the computer imo (and a good monitor will last you through several computers).
 
rancor said:
he only paid 330 for the gt keep it thats a steal! even in the future it will sell around 300 bucks. The card has a life time warrenty hopefully it goes dead in a year and half and you will be sent a equivlent but newer line.

I admit the card is definitely burning a hole sitting where it is. I remain steadfast to open it however because I'm reluctant to install an nvidia card in my system. The main concern for me is image quality, heat, noise, power consumption...and speed of course too. I don't think nvidia can really match ATi in those catagories (save for speed/fps that is) I could be wrong however.
 
moralpanic said:
You have a pretty good system, but a crappy as ass monitor. Sell the card and upgrade your monitor. I seriously don't understand why people spend thousands on a computer to game wtih, who's purpose is to make the game more enjoyable visually, but to spend the least money on the monitor. The monitor should be the most expensive and best part of the computer imo (and a good monitor will last you through several computers).

The monitor isn't the greatest that's for sure. I'd much rather have a monitor that can do 1024x768 with atleast 120hz refresh rate..like my old Philips...even 1280x1024 @ 85Hz i wouldn't mind.

For some reason I have absolutely no temptation to get a larger monitor up from 17"...and believe me I've had a lot of opportunities to do so. I should have never sold my old sony trinitron haha
 
tranCendenZ said:
would you mind scanning or taking a pic of the box?

sorry for the late reply: here you go.

bfg_1.JPG

bfg_2.JPG

bfg_3.JPG


is there a way to maybe lvlshot those pics? sorry for px size
 
BM00 said:
I admit the card is definitely burning a hole sitting where it is. I remain steadfast to open it however because I'm reluctant to install an nvidia card in my system. The main concern for me is image quality, heat, noise, power consumption...and speed of course too. I don't think nvidia can really match ATi in those catagories (save for speed/fps that is) I could be wrong however.


Oh it matches and better it in every category. Well power wise the gt works just fine on a a 350, it produces similiar heat as the x800 pro and its a faster card. My gt system gpu core heat doesn't go above 75 degrees celcius even after playing for 3 or 4 hours. Image quality, no contest, the 6800's are equal in dx (better since you can turn off the aa and af optimizations) and in Ogl its definitly better.
 
Arrrggghhh. Wonder if these new BFG 6800GT's clock any better than the referance ones they used at first. Although my BFG 6800GT does 440/1200 watercooled i wonder if these could go higher since it is actually built by BFG. Plus the blue would match my case scheme better =P. Oh well.
 
HongKongPolice said:
PLEASE Post close up of the card, it looks like a 6800Ultra PCB, need close ups to confirm.
that black thing is a heatsink the end of the card is covered by about a inch and a half.
 
Back
Top