Should I leave my pump on 24/7?

Axon77

n00b
Just got my watercooling setup flowing. I have a Hydor 25L Compact. Should I turn it off every night, or should I leave it on despite the computer not being on. Does anyone know the life of these Hydor pumps?

I have searched the forums, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

if you turn off your computer regularly why not hook a relay to the pump so that it turns on and off with your computer?

I tried this, but since the pump is the compact model, it has only two wires, not three like the Relay Card has inputs for.

If anyone knows how to connect the two wires into the three inputs, please let me know. I tried connecting the hot wire to hot input and ground wire to ground input. Needless to say, I was insuccessful.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hot wire to hot, ground wire to neutral, though ground *should* work too, I dunno why it didn't.

well, heres the thing about AC power... both of them are hot! neither is really a ground or a "neutral"

by putting one wire into the ground slot you are only using half the voltage from the wall (55v instead of 110v). My mom (contractor) set up our new shop like that, 440 mains in, transformer to 220, then set up vairous 110 outlets and 220 outlets by hooking one hot to hot one to ground for the 110's and both hots for the 220's.

That should fix your problem.

Punx_Clever said:
well, heres the thing about AC power... both of them are hot! neither is really a ground or a "neutral"

by putting one wire into the ground slot you are only using half the voltage from the wall (55v instead of 110v).

Gotta call BS on this one. In standard single-phase 110 AC power, you have one hot @ 110v, one neutral that is really earth-grounded, and one ground (which is really just there to ground the frame). Grab a multimeter and test it it you don't believe me.

Now, if memory serves me correctly, household 220v (what your dryer and stove runs) is created by using two 110v hot leads that are out of phase with each other, such that one is at +110v while the other is at -110v, leading to effective 220v AC power. If you look at your clothes dryer plug (at least mine), it has 4 prongs, two 110v hot leads, one neutral lead, and one ground lead. This lets it have both 110 and 220 in the same plug.

howstuffworks.com has a nice explaination on how this works.

Thanks for all the info. So, what do I do? How do I connect the two wires from the pump into the 3 inputs on the relay card?

Thanks!

1) This thread is useless without pictures!

2) I still contend that he is only getting half of the circuit (whether I'm right on the voltages or not) because he is probly hooking one wire up to the "third prong" in relation to a standard electrical outlet.

Post a picture of the relay, or even a link!

AC Alternating Power both plugs are really hot (they alternate back and fourth between hot and ground thats why it is called Alternating Current.

To Convert AC to DC you need a Full Bridge Rectifier. I built a Circuit that only used a 1/2 bridge rectifier and (for my purposes it was better) but I did notice a loss of voltage (about 1/2)

I'm not sure on how you would go about grounding one of the leads though (sort of what my 1/2 bridge rectifier did).

And yes I have tested this with a multimeter several times on my ATV, both wires are hot even though one is marked ground and one is marked power. I have since converted it to DC power to Run High intensity Discharge lights, and I lose some power in doing so...

It sounds to me like you were testing a 220V plug and only reading 1/2 the power, you have to have a DMM for AC power and connect it to both the Power Leads not a Power and ground lead...Make sure your DMM can handle the load as well.

But I don't know or care what exactly you did there are many reasons you could have sceen what you did from the DMM.

Also I don't believe you can add AC voltage exactly the same way you can add DC voltage, I think you have to work with the phase and frequency of your sources, but otherwise they are the same. Your right on the money there for sure.

I'm not familiar with yoru pump or what you are trying to do, do you understand how a relay works?

Your pump is 110 AC power right? So I'm not sure how to hook it up to the relay, but I think he is right when he is saying your not getting full power to the pump since your grounding one of the AC leads.

I think you might need a more complex circuit.

Neutral to ground should have worked, but it didn't, so you're gonna have to do neutral to neutral.

The wires on the pump are black and white, correct? If not they are the european color codes, which will be brown and blue.
Insert the black (or brown) wire into the hot connector on the relay, and the white (or blue) wire into the neutral connector. That should (hopefully) do the trick.

EDIT:
As for the "he's only getting half power" people:
ACVolt1.JPG

ACVolt2.JPG

That's a Fluke 77 right there - it doesn't lie.

penguin said:
Neutral to ground should have worked, but it didn't, so you're gonna have to do neutral to neutral.

The wires on the pump are black and white, correct? If not they are the european color codes, which will be brown and blue.
Insert the black (or brown) wire into the hot connector on the relay, and the white (or blue) wire into the neutral connector. That should (hopefully) do the trick.

EDIT:
As for the "he's only getting half power" people:
ACVolt1.JPG

ACVolt2.JPG

That's a Fluke 77 right there - it doesn't lie.

Yea well thats funny cause i was using a fluke 77 on my ATV 12V AC :p ...your pics don't work.

Justintoxicated said:
Yea well thats funny cause i was using a fluke 77 on my ATV 12V AC :p ...your pics don't work.
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. My webhost went down sometime after I put them up - they worked when I posted them. Switched it to my other webhost.

Back