• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I lap my cpu?

jamestown

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
15
So I'm basically trying to get my system as close to silent as possible. My attention has recently turned to getting a new hsf for my older x2 4400.

My original heatsink (xp-90) that I resued from an older P4 1.6 478 system I had was no longer cutting it as I have to run the fan somewhat fast to keep the cpu cool underload. Another thing that frustrated me was that one core was significantly hotter than the other core at load.

I originally thought that mounting my new true 120 would provide a significant increase in cooling to both the cores solving both of my problems at the same time. However, while the true is much quieter, it only seemed to improve the temps of the cooler core leaving the hot core at the same high temps. As I have used 2 seperate heatsinks, mounted several times, is my IHS the obvious cause of this? Is lapping my CPU what I need to do next?

Load temps with 2 Prime95s running were aproximately:

xp-90 (92mm panaflo 12v)
core0 62
core1 51

true120 (120 scythe E 12v)
core0 62
core1 45
 
Have you tried placing the TRUE rotated at 180degrees? If not, try that. If the results turn out to be opposite, then you probably would benefit from lapping the cpu and hsf.
Also, when running 2 instances of P95, did you make sure to set the affinity properly?
 
I ended up lapping my cpu today. Picked up 300 600 and 1500 grade paper and a small glass mirror and got to work for a few hours. Turns out on my cpu the center of the IHS was already one of the highest (if not the highest) part. As such, when I reinstalled everything, no significant change from the above load temperatures was seen.

Also, I tried rotating the true 120, there is still the same disparity in temperature between cores.

I'm pretty puzzled by this. My only guess as to what could be wrong is maybe the cpu itself doesnt contact the underside of the ihs well??? :confused:
 
I had similar problem with my opty 165. Lapped the proc and hsf and, while it brought temps down across both cores, both were still far apart in temp. So, the next logical step was popping the top on it. Which I did. That fixed the problem! LOL Both cores then ran at the same temp, about 7c cooler than the cooler of the two cores before removing the ihs.

Food for thought. Be warned tho, there are risks when removing the ihs. Cracked cores come to mind. O.O
 
Is the TRUE lapped? If not, should lap it also, and see what you get.
When you rotated the heatsink, was the differences the same on the same cores? (Instead of switching places)
 
Unfortunately the difference was the same on the same cores when I rotated the heatsink.

I could go to the next step and remove the ihs, but i have definitely read about some horror stories with that. Due to the risk, maybe i'll just declare my x2 4400 the winner for now and start looking at an upgrade in the near future...

Has anyone noticed which of Intel or AMD has better quality control for things like this? It sucks that despite the good air cooling I have I can't get my temps down due to some deficiency in how the IHS is attached.
 
Unfortunately the difference was the same on the same cores when I rotated the heatsink.

I could go to the next step and remove the ihs, but i have definitely read about some horror stories with that. Due to the risk, maybe i'll just declare my x2 4400 the winner for now and start looking at an upgrade in the near future...

Has anyone noticed which of Intel or AMD has better quality control for things like this? It sucks that despite the good air cooling I have I can't get my temps down due to some deficiency in how the IHS is attached.

Luck of the draw mostly. Both Intel and AMD have problems with temp differences between cores. At least from my experience they do.
 
I wouldn't remove the IHS under any circumstances (well, unless it's a friends chip or you got one for free :p ) but lapping the CPU can be beneficial, and somewhat fun as well. Make sure you read some guides though :cool:
 
i would definitely recommend lapping both the cpu and heatsink to anybody. I did and I don't regret a thing.

However, I have also always experienced temp differences between the cores. The main thing is that core #0 is ALWAYS hotter than the other 3 cores. So I'm assuming now that this doesn't have anything to do with improper seating or thermal paste application - it's just intel's crappy ihs?

Because if so, I would be much relieved.
 
Back
Top