should I just buy an ipod, or keep waiting?

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
My ipod got stolen about 6 months ago. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for a new ipod announcement. september comes and goes. macworld 2007 comes and goes, with no announcement of a new ipod.

I really want an ipod, and my mom even gave me $250 to apple for christmas, and I have been sitting on it till today, and alas no 6G ipod.

Do you think It would be foolish to go buy one today and regret it when teh 6G ipod is released in april or something, or do you think it maybe wont be till next september.

Basically, wait or pull the trigger? I just really dont want to regret this purchase in 2 months...

My ipod got stolen about 6 months ago. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for a new ipod announcement. september comes and goes. macworld 2007 comes and goes, with no announcement of a new ipod.

I really want an ipod, and my mom even gave me $250 to apple for christmas, and I have been sitting on it till today, and alas no 6G ipod.

Do you think It would be foolish to go buy one today and regret it when teh 6G ipod is released in april or something, or do you think it maybe wont be till next september.

Basically, wait or pull the trigger? I just really dont want to regret this purchase in 2 months...
Tough call, but I wouldn't expect anything else new til about June.

Tough call, but I wouldn't expect anything else new til about June.

yea, thats what I was thinking. summer is far enough away to be a good purchase I think. Im more worried about 2 mos from now.

But, I am starting school again next week, and so that has me leaning towards a new ipod...

I would wait, but that's just me.

I expect to see a new iPod before the phone launches.

Remember, the phone is Flash-based. It's not a replacement for the HDD iPod.

Apples Ipod / Phone just got announced at CES, won't be available until june though, oh and it's through Cingular in the US for phoneservices...

edited for spelling errors...

That is why I got my ipod at Costco. It is a little more flexible with the return policy if something changes with the 6G ipod.

Honestly, I don't see what they could add to the iPod to make you regret buying now. The only real complaint I have with my 4th gen is that it's a bit on the large side.

Honestly, I don't see what they could add to the iPod to make you regret buying now. The only real complaint I have with my 4th gen is that it's a bit on the large side.
I think they could do the iPod a great service by switching out its exterior for an aluminum style like the new Nano and Shuffle.. and making it widecsreen like the new iPhone.

I think they could do the iPod a great service by switching out its exterior for an aluminum style like the new Nano and Shuffle.. and making it widecsreen like the new iPhone.

it's not an iPhone anymore :p ... and I would wait, I believe the new iPod is gonna be released soon to compete with Zune's capabilities ... be patient so you don't regret it

Go to apple.com/store then click the refurbished link that has a red tag with "save" written on it. Purchase yourself a cheapie 30gig 5th gen or even a 20 gig 4thgen. This way your set for now and when 6g comes out your not out a ton of cash.

iPhone has already been taken by many VoIP companies including Linksys ...Apple using it makes them look bad. ..

they should've picked something else ..
Groan.

Cisco has already stated that they have an agreement allowing Apple to use the name.

From CNN:
"Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today Apple intends to agree to the final documents and public statement that were distributed to them last night and addressed a few remaining items," Cisco said in a statement obtained by CNN. "We expect to receive a signed agreement today."

iPhone has already been taken by many VoIP companies including Linksys ...Apple using it makes them look bad. ..

they should've picked something else ..
Cisco owns the trademark. Apple is in negotiations with them.

Honestly with CES and the new products that have been announced (like the iRiver Clix 2, Samsung YP-K3, Cowon A3 and Q5, etc.) I would seriously consider moving to a different product.

I am surprised we have not heard about larger capacity Nano's ! The company that makes the ram in the Nanos just recently announced chips that would allow Apple to easily make new 16 and 32mb models.... I have a 3G 40 Gigger,that is down to about 4 hours on a full charge,its now 25 months old (I bought it in Dec 03) It has gotten a ton of use.I want more space in a Nano type size Ipod.The minute Apple sells a 20/24/ or 32 Gb Nano I am all over it !! :D My 15 year old daughter has been saving her alowance,and is afraid to buy a 4 Gb Nano now,as the chances a new and cheaper 8 or 16 will be out soon after is high,given Samsungs recent flash ram capacity increases...

I am surprised we have not heard about larger capacity Nano's ! The company that makes the ram in the Nanos just recently announced chips that would allow Apple to easily make new 16 and 32mb models.... I have a 3G 40 Gigger,that is down to about 4 hours on a full charge,its now 25 months old (I bought it in Dec 03) It has gotten a ton of use.I want more space in a Nano type size Ipod.The minute Apple sells a 20/24/ or 32 Gb Nano I am all over it !! :D My 15 year old daughter has been saving her alowance,and is afraid to buy a 4 Gb Nano now,as the chances a new and cheaper 8 or 16 will be out soon after is high,given Samsungs recent flash ram capacity increases...

W00T we now have the technology for the Nano to hold a whopping....5-10 songs! ;)

In all seriousness I agree that the Nano should increase in capacity soon. 16GB SS Flash HDD's are around 150-200$ now, and dropping fast. Also the comment about the iPhone not being a replacement I disagree with. Sure the first gen is not a replacement. However I believe that Apple will eventually phase out the iPod all together. Leaving the iPhone, and the Nano, perhaps the shuffle as well but I could also see that being phased out.

At the very least the iPod will come to mimick the iPhone, with the same interface, perhaps slightly smaller. The only difference being one has the internet and phone capabilities and the other does not.The iPhone is already only marginally larger than the iPod, and flash storage will soon catch up to HDD storage, with the power savings making it much more attractive even at slightly smaller capacities.

However I believe that Apple will eventually phase out the iPod all together.
Not a chance. Apple would eliminate 75% of their target market by only marketing to those who have/are willing to swtich to Cingular.

Leaving the iPhone, and the Nano, perhaps the shuffle as well but I could also see that being phased out.

At the very least the iPod will come to mimick the iPhone, with the same interface, perhaps slightly smaller.
That I agree with.

just buy it.....theres always gonna be something new 6 months down the road.......
^ This man speaks the truth. There's *always* a better version coming out "soon" when it comes to tech gadgets or computers. Hell, if a new iPod does drop in 2 months, throw the one you buy now on ebay and you'll probably make a good portion of your cost back. Think of it as a long term rental! I personally am going to Costco this weekend to buy my 80gigger.

True,but from a 15 year old girls perspective not quite.As they want the latest and great est all the time.I told her to wait a few months.

However I believe that Apple will eventually phase out the iPod all together. Leaving the iPhone, and the Nano, perhaps the shuffle as well but I could also see that being phased out.

That's not going to happen. There are millions of people who don't want a convergence device. Do you want to jog with your phone? Do you want to exercise with your phone on your arm? Besides, the iPhone caps out at 8GB while the traditional HDD iPod comes in at 80GB. A bit of a difference, don't you think?

They're two separate devices. While some people want the All-In-Wonder device (apologizes to ATI), there is still a majority of the market that has no interest in them.

And that's not even touching upon the price of the iPhone or the forced switch to Cingular, two huge detractors against the mass adoption of the iPhone.

That's not going to happen. There are millions of people who don't want a convergence device. Do you want to jog with your phone? Do you want to exercise with your phone on your arm? Besides, the iPhone caps out at 8GB while the traditional HDD iPod comes in at 80GB. A bit of a difference, don't you think?

They're two separate devices. While some people want the All-In-Wonder device (apologizes to ATI), there is still a majority of the market that has no interest in them.

And that's not even touching upon the price of the iPhone or the forced switch to Cingular, two huge detractors against the mass adoption of the iPhone.

Does the word eventually mean anything to people to anymore?

Flash storage is increasing in capacity by leaps and bounds. In a couple years flash storage could easily become the medium of choice over HDD's. They are already approaching fast on storage space, and already win handily on power consumption.

I could see the second or third gen iPhone coming down in price to around 300$ with out a plan. The Nano would increase in storage dramatically. At that point the iPhone and Nano combined could easily phase out the iPod. Whether you need to use the phone portion or not, the rest of the device works just fine.

Does the word eventually mean anything to people to anymore?

Flash storage is increasing in capacity by leaps and bounds. In a couple years flash storage could easily become the medium of choice over HDD's. They are already approaching fast on storage space, and already win handily on power consumption.

I could see the second or third gen iPhone coming down in price to around 300$ with out a plan. The Nano would increase in storage dramatically. At that point the iPhone and Nano combined could easily phase out the iPod. Whether you need to use the phone portion or not, the rest of the device works just fine.

Eventually Flash MIGHT take over for HDDs. Maybe. But even as Flash gets smaller and cheaper, so do HDDs. After a time, size might not matter to the customer (who needs a 200GB iPod?) and Flash will slowly take the entire market.

If there's a phone portion of the device that a customer is not using, they will ask why it is there and how much they paid for something they don't use. Another company will release a cheaper unit without a phone seeing that there is a hole in the market and customers will buy it. The extra R&D, FCC approvals, hardware, etc. for the phone still cost money and if a customer doesn't want those "extra features", they will go to a company that offers what they want for less money than the iPhone. It's that simple.

They'll never make a cell phone plan mandatory for the iPod.

If they do, we're talking about a decade down the road.

Even then they won't. It just doesn't make sense.

I still see PDAs on the market. I still see DVD players on the market. I still see many products on the market that are covered by several other "all-in-one" devices. Why are they still there? Simple, because some people don't like convergence devices, especially when it's tied to something as restrictive as a phone (carrier, coverage, contracts, etc.).

I'll have to agree with Rocketpig on this.

Apple would basically be slaughtering their cash cow for steaks, instead of milking it for all they can.

Even then they won't. It just doesn't make sense.

I still see PDAs on the market. I still see DVD players on the market. I still see many products on the market that are covered by several other "all-in-one" devices. Why are they still there? Simple, because some people don't like convergence devices, especially when it's tied to something as restrictive as a phone (carrier, coverage, contracts, etc.).
I was allowing for some drastic change of direction that's unforseeable in the near future.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Apple could pull a Qualcomm and license the "iPod" functionality to various PND ("personal networked device") manufacturers or something like that. I think that in 10 years, large capacity, highly functional music playing capability will be trivial to include in almost any device. The entire landscape of the cell phone could change dramatically too as data becomes more and more important.. network agnostic iPod devices with rich internet functionality, all they need to do is be signed up for any of the dozen major national ISPs...

Or whatever. I've learned not to make predictions about technology too far down the line, as things inevitably happen that completely change the entire landscape of the market.

just buy it.....theres always gonna be something new 6 months down the road.......

QFT!!!

So, you wait two months, anticipating the release of a new iPod, and what if it doesn't happen? Then what? Wait another two months? Just go get a new one, and as said before, if something new does show up in a month or two, sell it.

QFT!!!

So, you wait two months, anticipating the release of a new iPod, and what if it doesn't happen? Then what? Wait another two months? Just go get a new one, and as said before, if something new does show up in a month or two, sell it.

I am not willing to Ebay her Ipod every time she wants a new one and has the difference in cash though... :D I can go out and buy a new one without having to worry about the cost,but money is a very different thing for a teenage girl,without a job,and a 30 dollar a month allowance... :p

I'm waiting.

If the current generation iPod does what you want it to, BUY IT.

If it doesn't... Don't.

It doesn't do what I want it to, therefore I won't buy it.

Don't wait if the current version does what you NEED it to.

Back